The Blotter is back! 01/19/2007 06:27 PM CST
Sorry about the lost week. Throw one big ice storm in there, no electricity at home or at the office (which people on the outside barely noticed because of that nice generator, but that's running the servers not my PC) and last week is pretty well toast. So, on with this week.

Lockouts
None! No one got tossed out!

Warnings
Language - 2
Scripting - 5
PvP - 1

Not many people got warned, no repeat business and no one got sent to me to stay. Good!

--Sanguious
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/20/2007 10:04 AM CST
>>Not many people got warned, no repeat business and no one got sent to me to stay. Good!

If no one gets sent to you in any given day, what do you do?

Personally, I'd do the Safety Dance.

~Mike/player of Gulphphunger
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/20/2007 10:11 AM CST
Not me, I'd throw popcorn at that nice lady in billing.

~Arwinia

Your mind hears Netherlich thinking "Actually i was asking to buy....movin up to 50Pk for Limb Disruption and 40 for Blackfire."
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/20/2007 11:43 AM CST
Id make the leaning tower of pisa out of toothpicks.

Got Body Parts?
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/20/2007 05:36 PM CST
i'd sit there and run scripts in TF. :-)

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/22/2007 05:11 PM CST
<<If no one gets sent to you in any given day, what do you do?>>

Fair question. Just because no one got locked out of DR doesn't mean there aren't issues in the other four running games and some issues for Hero's Journey have also been dicussed already. On top of that, all dealings with account and character theft and credit card misuse/fraud come to me. There are also a number of other issues I deal with to fill up my day.

Yes, I do have a character over in TF I fiddle with from time to time, that helps me keep a bearing on how systems are working so I can see if something is getting weird and let the GM staff know. It also keeps fresh in my mind what a script check looks like so I can compare it to some decent scrolling which my character over their generates just fine. Those are things that help me keep grounded to do my job.

That's the short version.

--Sanguious
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/22/2007 05:16 PM CST
I think he also has bouts of sleepiness sometimes, which isn't a bad thing, when working on something like ohh dragonrealms, not to mention spending time reading annoying mean posts from people like myself keep one rather entertained i think

Arctuniol

In an open world who needs Windows or Gates.
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/22/2007 06:48 PM CST

<<Yes, I do have a character over in TF I fiddle with from time to time, that helps me keep a bearing on how systems are working so I can see if something is getting weird and let the GM staff know>>

admit it, its also a way to unwind and have fun without worrying about the rules, too. :-)

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/22/2007 09:21 PM CST
Just two questions. First, do any of your responsibilities delve into research and development or are you just the goto guy for troublemakers (I mean, how the heck can you possibly get locked out of Heroes' Journey already?!)

Second, what do you think of your chances against, say, The Repo Man? :)

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/22/2007 09:28 PM CST
>>(I mean, how the heck can you possibly get locked out of Heroes' Journey already?!)

Annoying PvP-ing HJ Gamemasters?

;-)
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/23/2007 05:21 AM CST
>Annoying PvP-ing HJ Gamemasters?

Are they already trying to give the sword of doom +10 to someone on a thumbdrive?
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/23/2007 04:02 PM CST
Maybe he actually got asked to write their policy? ::Shudders::

GameMaster Acanthor.

SEND[Jhala] ...what is wrong with you?
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/25/2007 08:19 AM CST
>>Maybe he actually got asked to write their policy? ::Shudders::

If I were writing it, it would be really simple.

Hero's Journey Player Terms and Conditions

I. The Force
A. You're off it
B. Turn in your badge and gun

II. You Must Be On The Force

Then I'd just go through and delete characters willy-nilly.

~player of Gulphphunger
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/25/2007 07:49 PM CST
IF I WERE WRITING IT, IT WOULD BE IN ALL CAPS.
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/25/2007 10:36 PM CST
if I were writing it, i would allow afk scripting but only the kind of scripts I'm capable of writing. That way they wouldn't have to worry about anyone outpacing the game for decades. :-)

-me-

Re: The Blotter is back! 01/26/2007 01:30 PM CST
I'd throw annoying little random patches of fog in in specific isolated areas in the game, like this room but not that room. The fog would pop up at random and mess up scripts. I would also have back ground noise that included the most common triggers used by most afk scriptors. Then, I would have that noise also change from time to time.

____
Mists and Magic, Ocean Breezes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/26/2007 03:46 PM CST
>>I'd throw annoying little random patches of fog in in specific isolated areas in the game, like this room but not that room. The fog would pop up at random and mess up scripts. I would also have back ground noise that included the most common triggers used by most afk scriptors. Then, I would have that noise also change from time to time.

lol...all the ideas I ever see on the boards are just things that would screw up the scripts of people who don't know how to properly script. It would stop only the true scripting novices from having their scripts work properly.

Fifteen seconds of work for anyone good at scripting to get around.

-Teeklin

"Gown Removed Carelessly. Head, less so." - Joss Whedon

"I agree, and think the Ranger requirements are totally ludicrous." - Zeyurn
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/26/2007 04:30 PM CST
>lol...all the ideas I ever see on the boards are just things that would screw up the scripts of people who don't know how to properly script. It would stop only the true scripting novices from having their scripts work properly.

>Fifteen seconds of work for anyone good at scripting to get around.

Exactly. The only way to screw up an advanced script is to fake game messages exactly. And at that point, you'd screw up an honest ATK player as well. It can be done, but the solution would be worse than the problem itself is.

I mean, come on, random fog? Even wizard scripts can deal with that, match blahblah ...wait We already have fog, lets not waste CPU time to slow people down intentionally! Sheesh.
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/26/2007 04:34 PM CST
>>The only way to screw up an advanced script is to fake game messages exactly. And at that point, you'd screw up an honest ATK player as well. It can be done, but the solution would be worse than the problem itself is.

Even then it doesn't stop people who are really good at scripting (See: GMs mimicing the exact shadowling message and then just adding "You better cough." to the end of it)

That's always my biggest fear, that they're going to script check me with something like:

An asaren celpeze noses the ground, and hisses. You should probably COWER from it.

Or something, when I obviously have the first half of that message squelched cause I don't want to be spammed with it 1,000+ times a day while hunting.

-Teeklin

"Gown Removed Carelessly. Head, less so." - Joss Whedon

"I agree, and think the Ranger requirements are totally ludicrous." - Zeyurn
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/26/2007 04:50 PM CST
>Even then it doesn't stop people who are really good at scripting (See: GMs mimicing the exact shadowling message and then just adding "You better cough." to the end of it)

I didn't mean in the context of script checking, I was referring to the idea of random messages to mess a script up.

Missing a script check used to be my greatest fear as well until I switched to TF.
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/27/2007 12:00 PM CST
Yep. I know it would not catch the experienced. It would hopefully make the novice though not give into temptation and increase the problem.

____
Mists and Magic, Ocean Breezes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: The Blotter is back! 01/27/2007 12:27 PM CST
I'm hoping you are referring to novice AFK scripters as opposed to scripts ATK. If you start messing with people's utility scripts that just minimizes repetitive actions then those novice scripters who are trying to make things a little easier on them. There's no point in aggravating a guy for making a script to forage or fight a critter so they don't have to type each command. as long as they are able to respond to the environment in a timely fashion then let them save some typing.

Calissa's player