scripting 09/19/2017 04:37 AM CDT
Can anyone help me get started with scripting. I"m playing on Avalon on my Mac and, full disclosure, I'll probably need the extreme elementary version. I've read a lot of stuff about how it's supposed to work but everything I've read assumes that the person reading is already familiar with certain concepts. Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.
Re: scripting 09/19/2017 08:20 AM CDT
It all derives from label based scripting and it comes down to putting commands (PUT), matching results (MATCH; MATCHWAIT) and jumping between labels.

I think it's better explained using a real example.

Lets use a simple scenario - train appraisal until you get a mind lock. I made an illustrative sample flow diagram with comments, i hope it helps.

http://matoom.github.io/pics/appscriptflow.png

There's 3 labels exp, appr, pause. Red arrows show the movement from GOTO/MATCH -> label.
Re: scripting 09/19/2017 04:41 PM CDT
OK I think I understand how that works. My only question is where do I input that into the Avalon program? Here's my example:

I read that to start a script you start with a "." followed by the script name. So for the script you wrote there it would maybe be something like .appraisal. But if I input that into my command line on Avalon all it says is "script not found". So where are these scripts supposed to be stored so that the program can find them? Does that makes sense?
Re: scripting 09/19/2017 05:48 PM CDT
>I read that to start a script you start with a "." followed by the script name. So for the script you wrote there it would maybe be something like .appraisal. But if I input that into my command line on Avalon all it says is "script not found". So where are these scripts supposed to be stored so that the program can find them?

"...Scripts should be placed in your ~/Documents/Simutronics/Scripts folder, and have the cmd extension. Scripts are started by starting a command with the script command character (a period by default), followed by the name of the script (with no extension). Only one script can be running at a time. Scripts can be ended by using the script character followed by a single k..."

From: https://gswiki.play.net/Avalon (this page also lists script commands)
Re: scripting 09/20/2017 08:54 PM CDT
Naming scripts the same as actual game commands can have unexpected outcomes, sometimes, so I would suggest naming scripts something close to but not likely to be parsed by the game if you ever typo.

And obligatory note, scripting is absolutely fine. Unattended scripting is not. Have fun!

Iocanthe
Doing stuff