Empath and Undead 12/08/2020 07:03 AM CST
Hello,

I know absolution allows empaths to hunt undead, but what I find odd is that they even need it.
Empathy is for the living, so they can't harm the living without consequences.
Undead are far from living, so why does shock happen when an empath hunts them ?

it just doesn't make sense to me.

I would like to see this restriction removed.
Re: Empath and Undead 12/08/2020 09:31 AM CST
>>Empathy is for the living, so they can't harm the living without consequences.

Correct!

>>Undead are far from living, so why does shock happen when an empath hunts them?

Makes you wonder what "undead" really means.

I'd personally look at this less as a reason to find the logical argument as to why, as a player, Empaths shouldn't experience shock for harming undead, and more a reason to have a character within the game consider why something "they" consider undead somehow still causes Empaths to experience Shock. Maybe the innate power Empaths have to detect life force is a more accurate receptor for what counts as life than the societal understandings of Necromancy and the undead.

It makes you wonder what is Absolution really doing when it dulls an Empath's senses enough to harm the undead. Does mean imply that an Empath could theoretically dull their senses even further to ignore even stronger traces of life force? Why, if that's the case...

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Empath and Undead 12/08/2020 02:38 PM CST
>>Makes you wonder what "undead" really means.

The undead are life-forces twisted up and stuffed into dead or cursed forms. That's why Empaths get shock for dealing with them: they are still, from a Transference point of view, "alive enough." They're no longer dead, otherwise they'd be, well, dead. Coincidentally that's why we say that the Necromancer's Thanatological Link is a demonic perversion of the Transference link. They're still, fundamentally, imbuing life-force into zombies to get them to function.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Empath and Undead 12/10/2020 09:09 AM CST
very interesting way to view it, thank you for the information