Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 12:40 AM CST
What are the benefits? Because the unofficial is less complicated to join and the official server doesn't really catch my interest at the moment.

Could you explain a little by what you mean in regards with character names being case sensitive because I'm not changing my Discord username just to join DR official server...
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 01:34 AM CST
>What are the benefits?

Most all staff is in the official one.
Staff handles moderation.
Faster notification if we have big announcements.
Easier to find topics than navigating the maze of the forums.
Ability to search for stuff.
Get to cheer your fellow players on when something exciting happens (the game echoes some things to the Discord).

>and the official server doesn't really catch my interest at the moment.

It's entirely optional to join the server. It'll still be there if you decide to wait until later on.

>Could you explain a little by what you mean in regards with character names being case sensitive because I'm not changing my Discord username just to join DR official server...

You don't need to change your Discord user name. As part of the setup process using the DISCORD verb in game (after you have joined the server), you can choose to display as either your character doing the setup or your account name (like what shows on the forums). Your actual Discord id doesn't change, it's only how it displays within the official DR server, and it's handled automatically as part of the setup process. Nothing extra for you to do or configure.

Zadraes
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 02:11 AM CST
If you're making us tie our game account with our discord account why do you also feel the need to force us to give discord our cell phone number?
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 02:28 AM CST
This looks amazing. Of course, I managed to mess up joining in my haste to check it out. /facepalms

I accidentally answered in DR before joining the server in Discord, which meant that I was unable to speak in the server or see all the channels. I used DISCORD RESET to try to undo my mistake, and this time joined the server before using the DISCORD verb in game, but now it tells me my username appears invalid. Log below.

[The DISCORD setup has reset. You may begin again at your convenience.]
>
> discord
>
Welcome to the Discord Authorization utility. We'll ask a few questions to gather information that will be used to sync you with the OfficialDragonRealms Discord server.

Please ensure that your account has already joined the server before completing these steps, otherwise you will not be given roles and will be unable to communicate. Use this link to join if you haven't: https://discord.gg/P2fhr57qmc
Be aware that by completing this process, you agree that you have read, understand, accept and agree to abide by the rules posted in the #server-rules channel.

First: What is your Discord username? This should be an ABCDE#1234 format.
[Type DISCORD {USERNAME}, without the {}s, to respond.]
[This is case sensitive! You must type your user name as it appears!]

> discord username Navesi#4950
That doesn't seem to be a valid Discord Username. Please try again.
[You need your full username, typically in an ABCDE#1234 format.]
[Type DISCORD {USERNAME}, without the {}s, to respond.]

Navesi#4950 is indeed my username, and I noted the case sensitivity. It also accepted this username the first time. Please help?

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 02:31 AM CST

> discord username Navesi#4950

You have username in the command. Take that out.
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 03:23 AM CST
>You have username in the command. Take that out.

That was it! Thanks. <3

- Navesi

The First Land Herald -- Zoluren's newspaper. https://elanthipedia.play.net/The_First_Land_Herald
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 03:39 AM CST

Love this - thank you. It sounds like it took an epic amount of work.

I really like the hints of the future for the #kudos channel, but where's #playerpets? (I'm only slightly joking...)
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 03:57 AM CST
>I really like the hints of the future for the #kudos channel,

If you haven't, be sure to check out the privacy options in the DISCORD verb. #kudos messages require folks to opt in to sending them, and most haven't toggled away from having them disabled yet! They definitely shouldn't be spammy, but they'll be super rare if folks don't opt in!

Zadraes
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 04:36 AM CST

Thanks - I hadn't changed that, but have now on my mains. If anyone feels lazy and wants to turn everything on, just paste:

discord privacy total
discord privacy name
discord privacy guild
discord privacy level
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 08:32 AM CST
>Most all staff is in the official one.
I try to avoid staff. *runs and hides* (Just kidding! Don't hurt me...)

>Staff handles moderation.
Sounds good. I get tired of white knights.

>Faster notification if we have big announcements.
Ok, again, interesting.

>Easier to find topics than navigating the maze of the forums.
You caught my interest. You guys' forums suck.

>Ability to search for stuff.
I can do that anywhere. >-> :P

>Get to cheer your fellow players on when something exciting happens (the game echoes some things to the Discord).
Does this have it's own separate channel? I'm not big into my Discord pinging constantly.

>You don't need to change your Discord user name. As part of the setup process using the DISCORD verb in game (after you have joined the server), you can choose to display as either your character doing the setup or your account name (like what shows on the forums). Your actual Discord id doesn't change, it's only how it displays within the official DR server, and it's handled automatically as part of the setup process. Nothing extra for you to do or configure.

So it's basically using a nickname on you guys' server? I can handle that. I just don't want my characters name on my Discord. I mean, most everyone already knows my username but I like to think I'm still mysterious in some way for my own personal amusement. xD

What about random raffles and such? The unofficial does giveaways thru player donations. Will the official have something similar, too?
I wouldn't mind alterer notifications but scheduled, not "they're entering right now!" deal but in more of a "I heard that 'so-so' is traveling from 'location' and -this is what they do and don't do-" notification that way it gives me time to come prepared.

Also, are you guys seriously prepared to have all staff discords released? I can already hear the pinging on these poor people, lol
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 12:11 PM CST
There was some discussion about items that could be added to the #kudos, if not already implemented top spot on Renown Scrolls seems like a nice fit.
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 01:33 PM CST

Is there an option for users who do not want to include their phone# for security and privacy reasons? I left the old main DR Discord server because of harassment, so posting my cell phone # is never going to happen. Also, linking your account to a public server seems risky, making it more likely your account can get hacked, your personal info stolen, and your characters farmed. Can you explain what security you have in place to prevent any of that from happening?
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 01:46 PM CST
The phone number verification, if any, is on Discord's end. It is not accessible to users or admins on the DR discord server (or any other discord server.) It's a common measure to prevent people from using throwaway discord accounts, and will be basically necessary if the intent is to allow F2P players to join at some point, to prevent account hopping to bypass bans repeatedly.

I'm unsure how someone would be more vulnerable to DR account breach by joining the Discord than they are by posting on the forums. There's obviously some sort of bot that handles the integration - you get a custom invite, and presumably your Discord account's unique ID is tied to your DR account this way, but the only vulnerability this presents is a vulnerability of identity, not of access. And you're free to select either your account or a character name as your nickname on the Discord (though you /must/ choose one of those) so if you wish to keep a character concealed - or your account concealed - you can do so with relative ease.
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 02:42 PM CST
I really hope they can turn off phone verification. Tying access to your character/account really should be enough. F2P can't talk in any channel but their own anyway.

For those of us with multiple Discord accounts--personal, business, gaming, etc--you can only use your phone number for ONE ACCOUNT AT A TIME. For those of us without text-recieving cell phones, we're just plain screwed.

DragonRealms doesn't require a cell phone. Don't make the official Discord require it. Please.
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 02:54 PM CST
Oops, looks like they don't. When you first join, you have that verification message, then it goes away when you link your character or account? Its all good now. :P
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 02:56 PM CST
Google Voice is free if you guys are uncomfortable with releasing their phone information. But as previously stated, Simu/DR has no control over the phone verification. That's Discord's end when you choose the type of moderation you want in your server.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/722957083036876882/817500617429614612/unknown.png?width=643&height=480
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 03:20 PM CST

It was easier on the old system because premium accounts can have several characters, and this new systems appears to only allow choosing one character name across the entire discord, as opposed to choosing the cleric's name on the cleric server, the paladin's name on the paladin server, the trader's name on trader server, etc. It seems that this new system only allows for one character name or one account name, even if you have 2 or more premium accounts with 12 characters on each account.
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 03:23 PM CST

Discord will never be on my cell phone, because of where I work and that I have to have my cell phone at work. Discord is only on my laptop for when I get home, as it should be. I do hope the cell phone issue will go away, especially for those of us that never will use the voice option.
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 05:12 PM CST
>>It was easier on the old system because premium accounts can have several characters, and this new systems appears to only allow choosing one character name across the entire discord, as opposed to choosing the cleric's name on the cleric server, the paladin's name on the paladin server, the trader's name on trader server, etc.

It's not an RP discord. If you're unsure which character to "be" known as, use your account name (it's an option).

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 06:54 PM CST
>It was easier on the old system because premium accounts can have several characters, and this new systems appears to only allow choosing one character name across the entire discord, as opposed to choosing the cleric's name on the cleric server, the paladin's name on the paladin server, the trader's name on trader server, etc. It seems that this new system only allows for one character name or one account name, even if you have 2 or more premium accounts with 12 characters on each account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnYGrq95ezA

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors." -Raesh
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 07:40 PM CST
It's pretty bad form to not mention the players that helped build the official discord server back in 2019.
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/05/2021 10:47 PM CST
>the players that helped build the official discord server

These guys were immeasurably helpful in getting the framework set up for this! They do have a special color of their very own on the server. :-) I was wondering why none of them noticed or mentioned it - it was because when I was playing with the colors yesterday and changed the different roles around, I made Premium the same color as them. Whoops!

~ L
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/06/2021 01:22 AM CST
>>Google Voice is free if you guys are uncomfortable with releasing their phone information.<<

I could be wrong & things could have changed in the past couple months but I think I tried using a google voice number for the old DR (nonofficial) discord & discord refused it.

As I said things could have changed, so... YMMV
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/06/2021 02:07 AM CST
>I could be wrong & things could have changed in the past couple months but I think I tried using a google voice number for the old DR (nonofficial) discord & discord refused it.

>As I said things could have changed, so... YMMV

It's a possibility. A lot of things don't accept Google Voice. I've never had an issue with adding my phone to my Discord. Unless you actually download the APP on your phone, you don't get notifications so I don't see what the big deal is.
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/06/2021 06:24 PM CST
Discord does not accept a VOIP such as Google Voice for verification.

~Evike
Twitter: @EvikeDR
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/06/2021 10:50 PM CST

Thanks to all the GMs who have been chatting in the Discord. It's cool to get the immediate back and forth and get a little perspective on some of the design decisions of old and where we're heading.
Re: DragonRealms on Discord 03/17/2021 10:34 AM CDT
Every single time I try to register for Discord, it tells me its an invalid invite. Seconds later in game I get [The DISCORD setup has reset. You may begin again at your convenience.] and immediately try again and the invite is invalid. Help!?!?

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura