question 12/23/2002 10:25 AM CST
Is there a folder for where we can all show off our alterations to give ideas to others on their alterations? A few folks have been talkin for a bit about havin a folder where we can show off our alterations. If not thats fine, or if there is one, I apologize for asking. But if we don't have one, I'm sure we'd all love one. Thanks in advance!

~Dalkin~
Re: question 12/23/2002 04:02 PM CST
Thats a nice idea :) I will create one over in Social Side of Elanthia. I will call it: Alterations - Look what I got.

If you have comments or questions on the above,please dont hesitate to email me at DR-Cecco@play.net

Cecco
- Message Boards Supervisor, DragonRealms
Re: question 12/24/2002 12:56 AM CST
beams thanks Cecco! smooches have a merry christmas all ya board monitors!

~Dalkin~

Jim
Serious question 02/15/2011 04:36 PM CST
When are the play.net forums going to join the 21st century? I honestly have never understood why we're talking software that's barely more efficient than a system of pneumatic pipes. All joking aside, have you ever tried finding accurate and current information on here? There are almost countless topics and threads discussing aspects of the game that haven't existed in this decade/century/millennium. I mean really, when we can quantify the age of data in millennia, we need to re-evaluate some things.

I don't mean to 'rag' on the forums, I rather enjoy having a place to talk to other DR players, but at the same time I can't really say I'm impressed with them. I feel that I can say without exaggeration that there are free forum services that put ours to shame.

I also understand that there is some degree of sentimental value and 'legacy' that people cling to, but if we're really being honest with ourselves, when do you ever read it? I'm sure that most people, if they honestly thought about it, would realize that they enjoy the IDEA of the forum's history rather than the content itself. Am I saying erase it? No, not at all. Archive it, put it somewhere that people can access i and relive their glory days and reminisce on fighting claw trolls and whatnot, but leave the past in the past. Let us walk holding hands into the future using communication software created by people that are still alive.
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 04:41 PM CST
Assuming the quick research on the forums (And my memory) are accurate, the forums won't actually be a decade old until September. Meaning they do, in fact, date from this millennium.

As for the rest of the points, that's for people higher up the food chain than me. Sorry.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 04:43 PM CST
> I also understand that there is some degree of sentimental value and 'legacy' that people cling to, but if we're really being honest with ourselves, when do you ever read it?

I see what you did there. You're having a quick wink at the fact that people can't read your message unless they're reading the boards, when you're alluding to the fact that nobody reads the boards.

+1
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 04:44 PM CST
I think next year actually:

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=90&category=11&topic=4&message=1

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 04:51 PM CST
I dunno, a quick search pulls up posts from back in 1998. Semantics aside, it makes me a sad panda.

Also, I wasn't implying that nobody reads the forums, I was implying that a decade from now you won't be reading over my suggestion with a glistening eye and reminiscing on the gold old days of the times when we communicated over vast distances via hand-written notes tied to rocks.
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 04:52 PM CST
The posts from '98 and such are imported from the forums that came before these.

>I think next year actually:

Could be. What I was finding was the "Web 2.0" as they called it from 2001, but that might have been a separate upgrade from the forums. I really don't recall at this point.

Of course this is entirely academic.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 04:54 PM CST
Ah, well I'm sure whomever transcribed from those tablets did a fine job. I recant my previous statement though as I just time traveled back to 2003 to learn how to BOLD. No man can stop me now!
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 04:57 PM CST
Also, while I'm on my soapbox, that gentleman at billing is a pleasant chap, but I'd rather not have to renew our friendship every time I reactivate an account. How can we solve this?
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 05:33 PM CST
>>Also, while I'm on my soapbox, that gentleman at billing is a pleasant chap, but I'd rather not have to renew our friendship every time I reactivate an account. How can we solve this?<<

Pretty sure you can reactivate your account via the web. No phone call necessary if you have the correct information like account name, password, etc.

NMUs are not people. -GM Armifer
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 06:11 PM CST
I remember a post from within the last 2 years where it was stated pretty emphatically that an upgrade was not physically possible. Something about how there was no way for forum software to interface with Simu's billing software to create accounts.

I would like to say it was Solomon who posted that, but I cannot say so with any degree of certainty.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
DRPrime - NecroUnknown
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 06:16 PM CST
Reactivating accounts via the website including specific character selection has been possible for a while. Reactivating a specific character on an already active account is what requires billing's help.

But I'm sure you knew that, and it just slipped your mind. The thin air up on those high horses can cause all sorts of problems.

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 06:26 PM CST
<<I remember a post from within the last 2 years where it was stated pretty emphatically that an upgrade was not physically possible. Something about how there was no way for forum software to interface with Simu's billing software to create accounts.

Something like this. If I remember correctly, they've looked into different solutions and none of them work with the way things need to be done on our end. Something to do with hooking into the billing system is what I remember most.

GM Turmis

"I've had good days and bad days and going half mad days."
Re: Serious question 02/15/2011 06:39 PM CST
I just wonder if it's really impossible, or if it's more of a practically impossible thing, ie hiring a software engineer to figure out a solution wouldn't be practical considering the amount of money it might cost. The first option I find hard to believe. I've worked some jobs in the past where I saw two completely incompatible systems bridged by a good software engineer. The second, I find very much possible. While I have no doubt Simutronics is a successful company, I doubt it has a massive budget for something that's pretty much not going to increase it's profits any.

DRPrime - Celeres Turrance
DRPrime - NecroUnknown