so much for names being watched 03/20/2011 06:25 PM CDT
* Doctor Marssi Darssi just crawled into the adventure......

and I always thought Marcy darcy was a banker on "Married with Children", not a doctor
Re: so much for names being watched 03/20/2011 06:27 PM CDT
Didn't she have a PhD? Or was that the first husband?

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: so much for names being watched 03/20/2011 10:19 PM CDT
Eh. I stopped caring once I realized that "Garrosh Hellscream," the leader of the Horde faction in World of Warcraft, is somehow considered wholly acceptable.

Stop worrying and learn to love mildly jarring pop culture references.

>
You're not used to life as a fish, are you?
Re: so much for names being watched 03/20/2011 10:36 PM CDT
<<Eh. I stopped caring once I realized that "Garrosh Hellscream," the leader of the Horde faction in World of Warcraft, is somehow considered wholly acceptable.>>

Just because you see a name once, it doesn't mean it's "allowed".

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/DragonRealms
Re: so much for names being watched 03/21/2011 04:46 AM CDT
> Just because you see a name once, it doesn't mean it's "allowed".

I saw it once, reported, saw it again at least a week later, reported a second time, saw it a third time, and gave up. Perhaps I jumped to an incorrect assumption, and if I did, I'm glad that it was an incorrect one.

>
Re: so much for names being watched 03/21/2011 11:16 PM CDT
>and I always thought Marcy darcy was a banker on "Married with Children", not a doctor

Just because a name has OOC context doesn't mean it's OOC. Neither of those names are inappropriate for the game, so it hardly matters where the inspiration came from. There are plenty of references to other fiction in people's names (and other languages, etc.), that doesn't mean they'll be forced to rename their character.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: so much for names being watched 03/22/2011 06:06 AM CDT
> Just because a name has OOC context doesn't mean it's OOC.

If the name breaks the fourth wall, which is the case in both of these names, it is OOC. It hinders roleplay for others.

In addition, it cheapens the intellectual properties of the character's true creators and potentially puts Simu in a legal grey area (see Marvel v NCSoft, 2005, where Marvel brought action because the likenesses of their copyrighted and trademarked characters were being used). I highly doubt that these characters were running around behaving appropriate to their original. For example, I'm almost certain this Garrosh Hellscream a) isn't an Orc, b) doesn't run around screaming "Lok'tar O'gar" and "For the Horde," and c) does not fight Humans on sight except when being babysat by a few people who could wipe the floor with him. If he did, I would be tempted to roll up Abesik Kampfire just to sit around and be more competent than him.

If you want to play a character from a different IP, join a sim roleplay for that IP. I'm certain they still exist, except perhaps in the case of Married with Children.

>
Re: so much for names being watched 03/22/2011 08:45 AM CDT
<<In addition, it cheapens the intellectual properties of the character's true creators and potentially puts Simu in a legal grey area (see Marvel v NCSoft, 2005, where Marvel brought action because the likenesses of their copyrighted and trademarked characters were being used).>>

Likenesses are not the same as names. Just pointing that out. You can't copyright a name.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/DragonRealms
Re: so much for names being watched 03/22/2011 08:50 AM CDT
>If the name breaks the fourth wall, which is the case in both of these names, it is OOC.

I was more specifically addressing Marssi. The other one is likely to get removed for being vulgar rather than being OOC. I'm pretty sure the majority of the names in the game are references to something else. Some fairly prominent characters are named after other people's work, or named from RL languages. That doesn't make them bad names.

>It hinders roleplay for others.

Hardly. I've interacted with Marssi and it didn't hinder our RP at all that she may or may not be named after a Married with Children character. If you let something as simple as that bother you, especially if you aren't roleplaying with her, you're hindering your own roleplay.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Expert Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: so much for names being watched 03/22/2011 02:34 PM CDT
>>Likenesses are not the same as names. Just pointing that out. You can't copyright a name.

The names and likenesses of fictional characters are sometimes trademarked (Mickey Mouse, for example).

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/characters.html

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: so much for names being watched 03/22/2011 03:10 PM CDT
Who flipping cares.
Re: so much for names being watched 03/22/2011 03:36 PM CDT
Trademarks and copyrights are tremendously different things.

Player of Ryken
---
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." ~ Doug Larson

AIM - RykenDR
Re: so much for names being watched 03/22/2011 04:04 PM CDT
Ryken said:
> Trademarks and copyrights are tremendously different things.

They certainly are, which is why I mentioned them separately. Certain fictional characters both are copyrighted and their names are trademarked (Mickey Mouse, Batman, etc.)

Opeius said:
>I've interacted with Marssi and it didn't hinder our RP at all that she may or may not be named after a Married with Children character. If you let something as simple as that bother you, especially if you aren't roleplaying with her, you're hindering your own roleplay.

While you may have a positive interaction, the fourth wall was broken. Mild breaking of the wall can be ignored, but it's a slippery slope. What's the difference in allowing a name of a popular fictional character and allowing people to sing the lyrics of the latest Ke$ha song at the Northeast Gate, or discussing the latest college or professional sports team and their recent victory or defeat? One occasional breakage here or there isn't the end of the world, but imagine you walked in to a room with Marssy, Garrosh, and Dryzzt discussing the Super Bowl while running scripts singing top 40 hits, and then tell me you'd feel comfortable remaining in character.

>
Re: so much for names being watched ::Thread Over:: 03/22/2011 04:13 PM CDT

>>you walked in to a room with Marssy, Garrosh, and Dryzzt discussing the Super Bowl while running scripts singing top 40 hits,

If and when that happens, Report and move on and let staff deal with it.

There are plenty of people who have same/similar names as tv characters or those in fiction, blatant issues are handled.

Before this one goes further, if you see a name you think is inappropriate, report and move on, let staff deal with it.

The rest of this name discussion needs to go to the Equine Cemetery.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: so much for names being watched 03/22/2011 09:47 PM CDT
>It hinders roleplay for others.

I have never run across a name that hindered my roleplay experience, I might think to myself that it's a really stupid name, but then, I move on.

Gniloi
Re: so much for names being watched 04/08/2011 04:30 AM CDT
>>allowing people to sing the lyrics of the latest Ke$ha song

So long as they preface it with, "Inspired by a famous Bard from a distant land."