New name bug 02/09/2008 07:18 AM CST
I had my character go the genealogy office in crossings for a new name and he was given a different name than the one he requested. Pertinent part of the log:

J>ask cler for choose Copperbeard
The clerk rolls his eyes and says, "You'd like the surname "opperbeard"?!? You didn't ask anyone's advice before you chose this name, did you? Well, I cannot say that I would choose a name like THAT for myself but luckily I don't have to live with it. If you would like THAT name then simply ask me for it again within the next 30 seconds.
J>ask cler for choose Copperbeard
Shaking your hand, the clerk barely conceals a smirk and says, "Congratulations, Master opperbeard!"

Its cutting off the first letter of the name. Since it was so close to what I had chosen, I didn't notice the error in the first message the clerk gave. In fact, I only noticed it when a friend who was there mentioned it to me after the fact.

Can this be looked at please?

- Player of Foresee and now Iasan opperbeard

"You're right, we're all against you and actively work to stymie your guild's development. I'm twirling my mustache at the sheer thought." - DR-Armifer
Re: New name bug 02/09/2008 07:23 AM CST
I like opperbeard better.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: New name bug 02/09/2008 09:08 AM CST
Thanks to the patient help of GM Reexa we figured out what was going on. For every letter you don't spell out, the clerk cuts a letter off the start of your name. For example:

"Ask clerk for choose Copperbeard" Gets Copperbeard
"Ask cler for choose Copperbeard" Gets opperbeard
"Ask cle for choose Copperbeard" Gets pperbeard
and so on

So make sure you spell every single thing out completely. No shortcuts here folks! GM Reexa mentioned that GM Arnimas is already looking into the parsing issue to prevent it from happening in the future, but I thought I'd warn you all.

Thanks again, GM Reexa. You were a ton of help.

- Player of Foresee

"You're right, we're all against you and actively work to stymie your guild's development. I'm twirling my mustache at the sheer thought." - DR-Armifer
Re: New name bug 03/21/2008 05:17 PM CDT
You cut him off, he cuts you off. He's MEAN!