last names 05/03/2004 12:09 AM CDT
ok so i have a old acount that i played alot from late 96 till 99 and have come back for a coulpe stints since i came back again and have been back for about a month and likeing it more because i started a new char in a new guild (seems to be the besty move so far) any way my new warmie 20th circle and no last name is there a circle i can get one are they just out?
Re: last names 05/03/2004 12:49 AM CDT
Characters made after the name change do not get last names. There was supposed to be some way to shae names with "family members," but I haven't heard anything on that since.
Re: last names 05/03/2004 02:01 PM CDT
Eventually we'll have a much better last name system. It'll come out sometime after Willy pays Popeye back for that hamburger.

Steel.

YOU HAVE <insert ability here>!! YOU ARE OVERPOWERED!! DIE GUILD DIE!!!

Now with combat move charts!
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/steelflash
Re: last names 05/03/2004 02:21 PM CDT
<<It'll come out sometime after Willy pays Popeye back for that hamburger.>>

Pretty sure the guy's name is Wimpy.

Gizella

P.S. No, I'm not that old, I saw it on reruns. Really!
Re: last names 05/03/2004 02:36 PM CDT
I'm that old.

<Glare Gizella>

~Dulcinia

"Just melt her down and you'll reveal
A molten heart as cold as steel
Here, where a woman's heart should be."
--Alma Hicks
Re: last names 05/03/2004 02:48 PM CDT
<< I'm that old. <Glare Gizella>

Do I have to call you ma'am now? ::runs and hides::
Re: last names 05/03/2004 02:55 PM CDT
>Pretty sure the guy's name is Wimpy.

Yeah it is. My bad.

Steel.

Re: last names 05/03/2004 02:55 PM CDT
doubtful. popeye cartoons were in the movie "shorts" back in the 1930s. <yes, they predate television>.

---
A scavenger troll arrives, scouring the area.

The scavenger troll exclaims, "I dinks I like da' Moongate!"

The scavenger troll bends over and picks up the Moongate. After appraising it, the troll places the Moongate in its frayed knapsack
Re: last names 05/03/2004 02:59 PM CDT
>doubtful. popeye cartoons were in the movie "shorts" back in the 1930s. <yes, they predate television>.

I was actually thinking about the comics when I posted that.

Steel.

Re: last names 05/03/2004 05:51 PM CDT
There used to be a burger place called "Wimpy's" in Las Vegas in the '60s... wonderful burgers.

Glenlivet
Re: last names 05/03/2004 08:09 PM CDT
>There used to be a burger place called "Wimpy's" in Las Vegas in the '60s... wonderful burgers. Glenlivet

And it's still there. Out past Jerry's Nugget on the left hand side. It's been there as long as I can remember.. back to 1963.

Xochi
Re: last names 05/07/2004 12:31 PM CDT
OMG you people ARE old. :P
Oh and if it's possible, could we get a GM comment on the last name thing? I'm curious when we'll have some choices about that. I'm thinking DR2 here....

Eowen.

Kokem whispers, "I'd stab my own momma if she played DR"
Re: last names 05/24/2004 03:47 PM CDT
On the name note, they wouldnt let me have czarist, i was bummed, but i still walked out with a variation of it that was not killed, kudos to me

i hate my last name and look very much forward to the day i can change it, though i happen to be fond of my Verbal that is all thank you

Verbal
Re: last names 06/07/2004 04:41 AM CDT

Popeye is awesome... shame they don't show the really politically incorrect shorts...

It has been a while since they brought the name thing up. I'm somewhat curious myself. Just a thought.

Commander Ibec Alshaerd of the Royal Navy

Stamped upon the parchment is the Crest of House Alshaerd. A grandeous phoenix rising from the Greater Fist of Heavens encircled by golden laurels.

Re: last names 06/12/2004 02:06 AM CDT
<<shame they don't show the really politically incorrect shorts...>>

Like the one where Popeye punched his girlfriend in the face to knock her out of a hypnotism-induced stupor?

That's the way they ran things back then.

That was God's America.

::tear::
While on the topic of last names 01/02/2005 03:49 PM CST
I dont like mine. Made my character a long time ago and I hate my last name now. Is there any way I can get rid of it like the newbies or maybe just donate it to someone who wants a last name :P?

Gamalyel of Everild

Sanity is the Playground of the unimaginative
Re: While on the topic of last names 01/04/2005 01:51 AM CST
Yeah, option to change first names wouldn't be unwelcome either... I mean, i was just joking!

Moving stealthily, you manage to grab a Galleon right from underneath the shipbuilder Barana's very nose.

~Purehand
Re: While on the topic of last names 01/10/2005 08:55 AM CST
Actually, it would not be bad to be able to change or alter first names, come to think of it.

As far as role play reasons are concerned: Lots of cultured actually did that real life when they had their version of a coming of age ceremony and when major life events had occured that changed a person's view of who they were significantly. There is even mention of this in the realms in the story of the Prydaen Cemsiatt, though that name change was impossed, and in how names changed when Prydaen became Elders.

OOC: The main use I can see for this is when someone managed to create a character with a name that is not in violation of naming rules but is a problem, such as when they find someone has almost the same name as them and people constantly mix them up, or they find they made a character that has a name too similar to a critter people hunt or a verb or a GM PC or similar problems.

It would be nice to have a way to check-in to an Inn and fix a name without actually having to re-roll. Possibly you would want to put some sort of penalty on this to avoid abuse, such as all your learning goes to zero and it costs a favor as if you had died.

This is not a big issue for me. Though it can be a pain when I am trying to heal someone or drag someone with a name like that.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: While on the topic of last names 01/10/2005 10:18 AM CST
>There is even mention of this in the realms in the story of the Prydaen Cemsiatt, though that name change was impossed, and in how names changed when Prydaen became Elders.

Cemsiat's name was never changed. It was always Cemsiat.

Also, when the Prydaen Elders undergo the naming, their names do not change entirely. Its only the Claw of Eu that undergoes this, not all Elders, and the prefix "Ra" is added to their names. For example, Israulor became Ra'sulor.

Not valid precedents for what you're talking about.

Vien De'Lionne
Re: While on the topic of last names 01/10/2005 01:52 PM CST
The original person's name was Cemsiatt. However, I was given to understand that subsequent people who commited that crime lost their names and were given his name. Perhaps it was more like a title instead and I misunderstood that part. It was really for OOC reasons that I took it that way. Game mechs let you hide a title but not your name, that is how I understood that portion of the story.

Mists and Magic, Ocean Breazes, Deep Rivers Under the Sea, Trails Between the Stars: Where nothing is as it seems.
Re: While on the topic of last names 01/10/2005 02:13 PM CST
My interpretation is that its used as a title, not a replacemet for one's given name. Bob, who is Cemsiat, for example. However, because they are no longer considered Prydaen and are generally viewed with disgust, they may be called by that title rather than their name, just as someone might say "Be gone, Thief."

"Since that time, those few Prydaen that have been exiled are viewed as a kindred spirit to Cemsiat. Their tails are normally removed, and a magical brand is placed upon them to mark them as such. Once such a process has occured, they are no longer considered kin of the people, and are beyond the usual comforts of the Pride."

I'll stop hijacking your thread now.

Vien De'Lionne
Re: While on the topic of last names 01/11/2005 08:32 PM CST
Just to punctuate what Vien said: Cemsiat was always Cemsiat (not Cemsiatt). Cemsiat became a title (Meerk the Cemsiat)

Ecoles
"Us loners gotta stick together"
Re: While on the topic of last names 01/16/2005 05:48 AM CST
Ecoles, makes sense ic wise. My reasons for thinking it was a name change were, as I indicated above when I said it, ooc. The game mechs allow him to hide a title but not a name. However, by definition, you really can't make ic assumptions based on game mechs, though alot of us do it in our attempts to rationalize game mechs into rp. Regardless, the point was conceded long ago. (Also, please forgive me for not being able to spell late at night or early in the morning, depending on point of view)

However, that is not really to the point of this thread.

The point I was making is that they don't really have to involve the name generator in letting us have some form of shared last names. They can use the system already in place that gives us post titles for citizenship and order membership. They would just have to expand it a bit in terms of number of stored post titles a character can have.

On the aside, they could also allow people to display more than one post title at once, but that might make looking at people a bit hard and I am not sure I would wish to see that.

Re: While on the topic of last names 01/16/2005 11:35 AM CST
I'm sorry I know you're trying to get your thread back on topic here, but I have to know what you're talking about.

>My reasons for thinking it was a name change were, as I indicated above when I said it, ooc. The game mechs allow him to hide a title but not a name.

Are you still talking about Cemsiat? Cemsiat is a historical figure that appears in an in-game book, not at actual character. Game mechanics aren't really an issue considering we've never seen him.

Vien De'Lionne
Re: While on the topic of last names 01/18/2005 09:19 AM CST
No Vien. We are talking about name changes.

I reviewed the last page and I already answered your question. Nothing further needs to be said on the subject of Cemsiat. Please drop it. This is not the place.

On the subject of name changes. Alot of cultures real life cultures did change names as part of their coming of age ceremony and some of them did change names as forms of punishment for crimes. In either event, it signified the old life going away and an new life beginning from that moment forward.

In another folder though Valcer has a good point. He pointed out the crime rate would sky rocket if first names could be changed.

Re: While on the topic of last names 01/31/2005 07:59 PM CST
This thread makes no sense. Specially the posts trying to bring ti back "on topic"

Ecoles
"Us loners gotta stick together"
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/art/e/c/ecoles/ecoles.html
So can we get our last names? 03/24/2007 10:20 AM CDT
is the name buying thing open and how do we share?
Re: So can we get our last names? 03/24/2007 10:55 AM CDT
<< is the name buying thing open and how do we share?

You cannot get a new name yet. We're giving everyone that currently has a last name time to register that name first. We're currently in Phase 1 which is the ability to register an existing last name and clear and existing last name. Phase 2 will allow you to choose and share last names. There is no set date for the release of Phase 2 at this time. When we do release Phase 2, it will be announced on the boards.

Best Regards,
~GM Arnimas

"Wealth is not his that has it, but his who enjoys it."
-Benjamin Franklin
Re: So can we get our last names? 03/24/2007 06:34 PM CDT
I do not mind waiting, but I'd like to suggest a "partial phase 2" where we can "share" but not "choose new names".

I do sadly guess that system limitations (as coded) prevent this.
Re: So can we get our last names? 03/25/2007 09:21 AM CDT
<< I do not mind waiting, but I'd like to suggest a "partial phase 2" where we can "share" but not "choose new names".

<< I do sadly guess that system limitations (as coded) prevent this.

While it could have been coded this way, I'm not sure why it would matter to do it in this manner. If you and a friend want to share your last name, being able to choose a different one instead won't prevent this from happening. Unless I'm missing a reason you have for this suggestion?

Best Regards,
~GM Arnimas

"Wealth is not his that has it, but his who enjoys it."
-Benjamin Franklin
Re: So can we get our last names? 03/25/2007 11:59 AM CDT
<<Unless I'm missing a reason you have for this suggestion?>>

I think he's asking for "Phase 1.5". ;)

Solomon

"Experience will come, it's not a race or anything. The ones who kill themselves to get to the finish are the ones who tire out quickly."

GM[Anti-ESP] Pormithius just killed Caelumia's ESP!
Re: So can we get our last names? 03/25/2007 12:38 PM CDT
>>I think he's asking for "Phase 1.5". ;)

Basically, yes.

So that we can still allow the "longer registration window", but still able to get "other" chars able to share last names with ones already registered
Re: So can we get our last names? 03/25/2007 01:14 PM CDT
>So that we can still allow the "longer registration window", but still able to get "other" chars able to share last names with ones already registered

I believe they indicated that after registration, the owner had to wait 30 days before he would be allowed to distribute the last name. Even if we were already in Phase 2, you would still have to wait 30 days before sharing a registered name.

Or, did I misinterpret the initial instructions on this matter?

As far as the duration of Phase 1 goes for prime, I really don't see why it needs to last more than 30 days. If you have, as previously indicated, sent emails to all account holders who are inactive advising them of this registration period, and even offered them a trial period with which to come in and register, then 30 days is a reasonable amount of time for them to respond. Frankly, it wouldn't hurt to send reminder emails to all account holders (since some of them don't actually read the boards and it's possible the last name news could have -gasp- been missed.)

But, in any case, if a player 1) no longer plays, 2) no longer pays to play, 3) has not kept Simu up to date with their contact email address, and/or 4) is not checking their email and responding in a timely manner, then I do not believe they have the right to hold up the rest of the active DR population from being able to enjoy and take part in this long-awaited release. 30 days is more than enough time, and it is not as though they will lose their last name. It merely means they lose the right to keep it unique to their character, which quite frankly they SHOULD lose when they stop playing the game. It's a risk that gets taken when they quit and quite unfair to the rest of us who are patiently biding our time.

Just because folks aren't objecting in the hundreds and thousands to this delay doesn't mean that we aren't very anxious to take part in this release and, while we understand you must make efforts to preserve the rights of the folks who started playing long before us, we really would rather this phase get a move on already and not take longer than it absolutely has to.

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." -- Kahlil Gibran
Re: So can we get our last names? 03/29/2007 12:08 PM CDT
<< Just because folks aren't objecting in the hundreds and thousands to this delay doesn't mean that we aren't very anxious to take part in this release and, while we understand you must make efforts to preserve the rights of the folks who started playing long before us, we really would rather this phase get a move on already and not take longer than it absolutely has to.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Medir
Bonded wedding rings and last names 01/09/2008 10:12 PM CST
Can last names chosen under the new last name system still be shared with a bonded spouse via bonded wedding rings? Perhaps you have to wait 30 days after the name is chosen before it will work?

~ Gwynfydedig

The frostweaver sobs piteously, "Help! I've fallen!"
Re: Bonded wedding rings and last names 01/10/2008 05:57 AM CST
Sharing last names via the ring worked for Khary and Hanryu. That might only work because of the GM wedding though. It only works if the other partner is in game.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: Bonded wedding rings and last names 01/10/2008 08:59 AM CST
<<It only works if the other partner is in game.

Aha! Makes sense. Thank you!

~ Gwynfydedig

The frostweaver sobs piteously, "Help! I've fallen!"