Question 05/07/2003 07:50 PM CDT
After this next name purge, are you gonna be more tough on names going through the name generator, since it won't be so hard anymore?

I saw a guy named Zllab Biz-alls get through. Twice.
New Question Re: Name Change Announcement 08/03/2003 05:26 AM CDT
While we're on the subject, I have another question. Will the last names of NPCs, historical figures (in an IC sense, of course), GMs and GHs be released for new first name use?

The hote cultour brende so his toute
That for the smert he wende for to die;
As he were wood for wo he gan to crye,
"Help! Water! Water! Help, for Goddes herte!"
Re: New Question Re: Name Change Announcement 08/03/2003 09:23 AM CDT
>Will the last names of NPCs, historical figures (in an IC sense, of course), GMs and GHs be released for new first name use?

Man, I sure hope not. There are already enough people out there who can't RP their way out of a paperbag claiming to be celebrities of one kind of another. I'll use as an example, a semi-high circle female Paladin who claims to be the granddaughter of Lanival. I mean, come on. I really don't want to give people anymore RP tools to use in that way.

~Vien De'Lionne~

"One realizes the full importance of time only when there is little of it left." -P.W. Litchfield
Re: New Question Re: Name Change Announcement 08/03/2003 09:41 AM CDT
>> Man, I sure hope not. There are already enough people out there who can't RP their way out of a paperbag claiming to be celebrities of one kind of another. I'll use as an example, a semi-high circle female Paladin who claims to be the granddaughter of Lanival. I mean, come on. I really don't want to give people anymore RP tools to use in that way.

I concur with you completely. My concern is that there's really very little difference between this sort of abuse and the potential for people using this same method to hijack player last names. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, so to speak.

Re: New Question Re: Name Change Announcement 08/03/2003 09:53 AM CDT
>My concern is that there's really very little difference between this sort of abuse and the potential for people using this same method to hijack player last names.

I think there's a fairly big difference. Falsely claiming relation to the most popular, well-known character in the game is still not as disruptive as claiming the same to an NPC who may be royalty, a famous racial figure, a well-known "evil" person, etc.

~Vien De'Lionne~

"One realizes the full importance of time only when there is little of it left." -P.W. Litchfield
Re: New Question Re: Name Change Announcement 08/03/2003 11:00 AM CDT
Both cases would be equally disruptive to the person who has to put up with it. Just happens that more folks will notice it with an NPC or historical figure. There's no principled difference, and they would both be bad policy. Your example allows someone to disrupt GM creativity, while the new names policy allows someone to disrupt player creativity. I happen to see both as valuable and worthy of protection. Just something to think about.

Re: New Question Re: Name Change Announcement 08/03/2003 04:21 PM CDT
Did anyone see _Six Degrees of Separation_?

Anyhow, I agree that the last name is a non-issue. People have similar names already as it is. Means if someone is important to you, you are sure to look at them and know what they look like as well as the exact spelling of their names. Mistaken identity adds flavor to the game, really. As long as the system knows how you are, there is no large loss.

No one with any name will be able to successfully impersonate anyone.... I can't really understand why someone minds about the last name part. Sure, it's part of you...but a rose by any other name would...Well, you know. It's not all you are.

I think people having a first name similar to yours is a bit more of a complication than the last name, anyhow. And we've found our way around that.

I do think it would be nice to open up the NPC and GM last names...would create more name availability afterall.

'= }

Amo

_____________________________________________ "Can you even dye my eyes to match my gown?" ~Dorothy

For more information on empaths who shift, go to:
http://www.coalition.fairmount.nu
Re: New Question Re: Name Change Announcement 08/04/2003 07:03 AM CDT
>>I mean, come on. I really don't want to give people anymore RP tools to use in that way.<<

I like to handle it this way: They're lying, or utterly delusional.

It's like those hiddiously extended, mixed-species families with all sorts of bizzare and incompatable couples. They can say that they had a kid all they want -- in fact, they can even get a third person in on it claiming to be the child. Oh well. It's impossible, and at best a disturbing exercise at doublethink on their parts.

It is the responcibility of each player to make sure their backstory is reasonable within the game universe. It is not our responcibility to grin and bear it when they fail.

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Question 02/16/2004 05:50 PM CST
If i retire a character its say to rename and all that but i wondering does that name go back in the system for others to use? I retired six names that i thought were interesting enough to share but i would never have time to use them.

Mirki
Jezrail
Novalos
Liante(got this name from a elven dictionary forget which one but it means "spider")
Tareriel
Zantesha
Re: Question 02/16/2004 10:18 PM CST
The answer is no...or at least not for quite sometime.

Been back 2 months after being gone some 8-9 months if not a year, a month after coming back I reopened my premie status and asked for any older characters still on file to be added to my now available character slots.

To my surprise, there were more names on that list tied to my account than I recalled ever making over the years....and having been gone all that time the names were still not available to other people through the char. gen. as they're tied to your account for god knows how long.

If theres a way to get a list of all old character names you've ever had and be allowed to tell Simu to purge them from your record permanently instead of them just being shelved when you delete the character, I'd be more than happy to free up some names tied to me.
Couple of Questions - Name Switch 10/25/2006 12:37 PM CDT
Good day. I have two characters on my account, both are around 15th or so circle. Is it possible to switch the names of the two? Could not find this question posted in this folder in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Madigan
Re: Couple of Questions - Name Switch 10/25/2006 01:12 PM CDT
I doubt it highly....

Souv
Re: Couple of Questions - Name Switch 10/25/2006 02:33 PM CDT
First name adjustments are not possible per feedback and billing.

Question 03/13/2007 01:44 PM CDT
Alright, my main char is Galren Moonskin. Pretty awesome last name if you ask me. Now I got an empath with a good last name as well (one that sounds better in terms of making a mob-family clan).

So my question is, can I register Moonskin, keep it and put it away while I use my empaths so Galren can be apart of the "family." Or, if this isn't possible, can I get something like Galren Moonskin-InsertOtherName

Basically I don't want to give up the rights on the last name of Moonskin but I want to use another one for the time being.

Possible? I'd pay lots of extra plats for this feature.

-Galren Moonskin

Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
Re: Question 03/13/2007 04:12 PM CDT
<< Basically I don't want to give up the rights on the last name of Moonskin but I want to use another one for the time being.

The only way to do this would be to have another character choose and then register the name. Then you could give the name (with management or adoptive rights) to Galren whenever you wished to do so. However, there are no plans for one character to register multiple names. So it is possible, though you have to be inventive on how you do this.

Best Regards,
~GM Arnimas

"Wealth is not his that has it, but his who enjoys it."
-Benjamin Franklin
Re: Question 03/13/2007 05:34 PM CDT
Okay, this is a little complicated. my empath now has a last name i want to use for my barbarian. so i should register it with my empath right now, adopt my barbarian, and then clear my empaths last name so she can have my thiefs last name? <i basically am going racially with this - most of my s'kra will have the same last name, etc>. Then if my barbarian is the only one with the name, will she be able to register it?

"Word on the street is, ya been lookin' out for the best interests of the Guild."
Re: Question 03/13/2007 06:12 PM CDT
<< Okay, this is a little complicated. my empath now has a last name i want to use for my barbarian. so i should register it with my empath right now, adopt my barbarian, and then clear my empaths last name so she can have my thiefs last name? <i basically am going racially with this - most of my s'kra will have the same last name, etc>. Then if my barbarian is the only one with the name, will she be able to register it?

I'm not even sure I got all that, but this is what I suggest. Don't pay the registration fee twice. Simply wait until Phase 2, then be one of the first to clear, choose and register. I mean it is possible that someone could choose and register your name but not very likely. However, I believe that your method would also work, but it would be much more expensive and someone could still sneak in between the time you clear the empath's name and register it with the barbarian.

~GM Arnimas

-Benjamin Franklin
Re: Question 03/13/2007 09:30 PM CDT
Well, I think the new last name system has officially introduced the concept of "red tape" to Elanthia!

-Sephos
Last Name Pre-emptive Question Strike 03/14/2007 01:14 PM CDT
And before it gets asked here Arnimas has indicated (in Plat) that you cannot register no last name as a last name choice. I was going to try it out but now I can save those 10 plats.

Asbhuan
Question 03/23/2007 08:55 PM CDT
Bah. I'm confused. Once 'choosing' a last name is open, will people be able to choose and register a last name that is already taken but not registered? I would like to register a last name or two but none of my characters have the cash. Basically are my characters that were originally rolled up with a last name now in danger of having the name stolen/borrowed/shared if I don't come up with 10 plat each...?
Re: Question 03/23/2007 09:47 PM CDT
Yes. Someone with more coin than you and a similar desire for your last name can gank you for the name. Nothing will happen to your character at all, however, beyond having the "wrong" name on the government rolls.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Question 03/23/2007 10:19 PM CDT
Damn it... I was so excited to hear that last name options were finally going to be implemented too. The rich always get the perks, I know, but it's unfair that you have to pay to even just KEEP what you originally rolled up with!

><
Re: Question 03/23/2007 10:32 PM CDT
You won't lose your name. You might lose the right to use the name for future characters.

Sylvado

Where would we be?

Jack: Bobby, I've had enough of Nikita, I'm ignoring him from now on!
Re: Question 03/24/2007 12:20 AM CDT
First, don't flip out, the GM's devised this system in order to prevent the situation which led to them taking the last name option away in the first place. Yes it seems like a bad thing initially, however, what's worse, thinking up a good last name and then finding out that it was already taken (sometimes years ago and when that character/person no longer even plays DR the game still reserves that name) or paying a few coins and having alot better chance that the name you've thought of is available (If it isn't, then take comfort that someone paid money also to keep it that way).

Blackguard Danoryiel Shadowsboon of House Shadowsboon
Re: Question 03/24/2007 05:07 AM CDT
Well, but someone who took the name years ago and/or doesn't care about it wouldn't affect a free reserve with no benefits feature. If a person re-chooses the name then it obviously means he or she cares about it. A lot of truly unused names are still being freed up.

I suspect you have your particular opinion because you are one of the ones who will not, ultimately, have the price decide whether or not you can use the long awaited last name system.

But I guess the best thing would just be to forget about it and pretend the update wasn't ever made.
Re: Question 03/24/2007 05:51 AM CDT
You are correct in that the price doesn't really matter to me. I've got enough to cover my characters ( 8 w/ last names) but supposing for a moment that I didn't, i've made enough money through hunting to pay for those names and more since they released phase 1 of this system. Making enough might be difficult depending on Guild and Level, but it's not impossible to do. Do I think it sucks i've got to pay to make sure my last name doesn't get taken by someone else and registered so that I can't distribute it? Yes, it's a little annoying, however, do I honestly think anyone out there would actually WANT my last name? That I'd have to say the chances are slim to none I'd wager.

Blackguard Danoryiel Shadowsboon of House Shadowsboon
Re: Question 03/24/2007 09:18 AM CDT
<< The rich always get the perks, I know, but it's unfair that you have to pay to even just KEEP what you originally rolled up with!

You will still have it, you just won?t have the rights to give it to others. The only way that you will lose it is if you ask the clerk to CLEAR it.

<< Well, but someone who took the name years ago and/or doesn't care about it wouldn't affect a free reserve with no benefits feature. If a person re-chooses the name then it obviously means he or she cares about it. A lot of truly unused names are still being freed up.

Your use of terminology here leads me to believe that you might be confused about how the system works. If you have a last name, it will not just disappear. You also don?t need to re-choose you last name, the name is on your character and will not go away. Registering allows a person to gain the rights to give the name to others and only the person that registered it can do this. However, if a name is not registered, anyone can CHOOSE it until it is registered. Reserving a name only happens when you make a mistake. If you give someone management rights to a last name and later are unhappy about that (for whatever reason), you can remove the person?s ability to distribute the name.

<< But I guess the best thing would just be to forget about it and pretend the update wasn't ever made.

This is certainly your prerogative. However, if your character does have a last name, that character is likely 20th circle or so by now if you?ve played the character even casually. Your ability to earn the coins you need for registration are definitely within your means since the registration portion of this release is expected to last for weeks.

Best Regards,
GM Arnimas

~GM Arnimas

-Benjamin Franklin
Question about Name Adoption 01/30/2008 06:42 PM CST

I remember the topic came up a while ago about adoption of names through marriage and keeping "maiden names," and I had two questions about that:

If I already have a registered last name, but I want to adopt my husband's, do I have to clear my current last name to do so?

Also, if so, does that mean that name adoptions risk the chance of permanent loss of already-registered "maiden names," on the off chance someone else should snag and register the old maiden name after the name adoption? So if you get married, adopt your husband's/wife's last name, and then get divorced, you might not be able to get your old last name back, since someone else might have taken/registered it in the meanwhile?

Thanks!

P.S. The new last name system is awesome--thanks so much!
Re: Question about Name Adoption 01/30/2008 07:48 PM CST
if you want to make sure of keeping the original last name in the event of divorce - "adopt" someone on a different account, give them managerial rights with the "old" last name. THEN clear your last name and take your husbands if desired. That way your sibling can "adopt" you if things don't work out and you'll have the original last name. :-)

<<Because it's a gigantic can of worms. Eldritch, necrotic, squamous worms, writhing in a vile stew of coagulating ichor, crushed from the living gullets of a thousand infant puppies, ululating in wordless terror. - Lorz>>
Re: Question about Name Adoption 02/01/2008 10:12 AM CST
Alternatively, the bonded rings available for both Prince and Queen's weddings allow for last name sharing with neither party having to give theirs up. Hyphenation is also possible with the rings.

http://www.play.net/dr/weddings/

Just FYI! :)

~GameMaster Nhia
Weddings Team Coordinator
Elothean Champion Duo

"I was married once in an online fantasy game. We were thinking of having children, but it would have severely drained my power crystals." -- The Simpsons, comic book guy