Name Change 07/15/2020 06:21 PM CDT

So 2016 was the last time anyone posted about this. I was wondering if now in 2020 we've grown to accept that players want this option and actually will see it done. I have a name saved for this to go live. So come on folks lets get it done!
Re: Name Change 07/16/2020 09:25 PM CDT
I would be against this. It erases the history of characters. If your character's story is done, new characters are easy enough to train up these days, with REXP being a reality. 150+ in 6 months is quite attainable. If the reason people want character renames is because they purchased their character, they should have to live with the name that they've bought.

If Simutronics wants to support character purchases with character renames, then they might as well allow you to purchase training directly and get in on the action rather than letting other people profit off of their game in that way.

- Saragos
Re: Name Change 07/20/2020 05:15 PM CDT
We'll agree to disagree. I don't think anything can erase the history of a character thats been involved in RP. That history remains long after a character is gone. While new characters are easy to take to 150 if you're circle chasing sure, but 20+yrs invested in a main character is not gonna be there. DR is a slow burn on skill training, even with the REXP boost. Not to mention that forcing me to reroll, retire, create noob rather than allowing me a simple name change is no in my best interest because it takes away my control over my own characters that I spent years building on. The character is my creation and if I decide I don't like my name then I should be allowed to change it to whatever I wish because thats character optimization, character creation and character customization in a nutshell. That's giving me the player control over the character I am playing. Other games allow for this to take place DR should just follow suite. My reason's shouldn't be an issue. It should be based upon giving players control of their characters.
Re: Name Change 07/20/2020 06:56 PM CDT
>We'll agree to disagree. I don't think anything can erase the history of a character thats been involved in RP. That history remains long after a character is gone. While new characters are easy to take to 150 if you're circle chasing sure, but 20+yrs invested in a main character is not gonna be there. DR is a slow burn on skill training, even with the REXP boost. Not to mention that forcing me to reroll, retire, create noob rather than allowing me a simple name change is no in my best interest because it takes away my control over my own characters that I spent years building on. The character is my creation and if I decide I don't like my name then I should be allowed to change it to whatever I wish because thats character optimization, character creation and character customization in a nutshell. That's giving me the player control over the character I am playing. Other games allow for this to take place DR should just follow suite. My reason's shouldn't be an issue. It should be based upon giving players control of their characters.

Well I agree to disagree with you. This idea (which never will happen, btw) would lead to major abuse. You spent years building a character of whatever name you created or bought. Changing the name of that character would make way for easy abuse of mechanics as well as policy. I don't see any upside to this except for those that don't like how the name of their character has become known in the community, not how they have trained. If you don't like how you are perceived culturally, turn over a new leaf. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Name Change 07/20/2020 11:07 PM CDT
I don't have a horse in this race, so my query is purely academic.

It appears that a large amount reluctance toward name changing is the concern that characters would gain some anonymity after presumably being purchased, or being able to 'clean the slate' if they have a less than savory reputation among the community.

Would it assuage these concerns if hypothetically when a player elected to change their characters name it came with substantial provisos and probation?

Say:
1) A substantial real life and in game monetary expense.
2) The account must be in good standing with Simu for the past 365 days.
3) A 365 day duration where you were prohibited from changing that characters name again
4) When the name change occurs, an in game announcement is made. Similar to when someone enters the void, or formerly walked the starry road.
5) When that character logs in, dies, or is LOOKed at for that probationary time their former moniker would be displayed. E.g. You see Woodland Bandit Jim (was formerly John) Lastname, A Human; Jim (was formerly John) was just struck down!

- Anuind Silverspruce

Any drunken idiot can fall off a bar stool, a real man rides it to the ground.
Re: Name Change 07/21/2020 07:11 AM CDT
365 cooldown period and I think being able to see all former names permanently reflected in that character's profile, with no option to remove said line, would be sufficient.
Re: Name Change 05/11/2022 08:48 PM CDT
For me, this is no big deal. People already buy characters and have convenient amnesia, forgetting all their character's past deeds. Instead of paying some random person for a character that has been trained under the radar, they will just be paying Simutronics.
Re: Name Change 08/29/2022 11:41 AM CDT
There could be a legacy/family element associated with name changes.

Let's say Randy Marsh wants to change his name Stan Marsh. Instead of it being a straight up name change with no real explanation, it would be listed on the character profile that Stan is the child/descendant/relative of Randy. It's still the same character but with an in-character explanation for why the name is different.