Name Question 03/25/2012 10:47 PM CDT
What if another player has obviously ripped off your name? Spelled it with another letter, or something slightly different?

Is there anything that can be done for that name to be changed? Or is it fair game if someone let's say makes Sollomon instead of Solomon? It's lame IMO.
Re: Name Question 03/25/2012 11:35 PM CDT
I highly doubt that anything can/will be done in the instance of a PC's name. It's plausible that whomever chose the similar name to yours did so unknowingly (given just the info you provided anyways), but even if they did knowingly chose a name similiar to yours with a small change, you could view it as a compliment, in that they thought your character's name was worth copying.

I agree that it is sorta lame, but even so, I wouldn't get too bothered over it :)

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Name Question 03/25/2012 11:42 PM CDT
It depends on the situation.

If someone happens to have a name very similar to yours? So be it.

If someone rolled up a character with a name very similar to yours and is harassing you or impersonating you... that's another matter.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Name Question 03/26/2012 02:41 PM CDT
>>Fortissabrok: What if another player has obviously ripped off your name? Spelled it with another letter, or something slightly different?

What is your character's name?

If it's not something that you made up, it's possible that someone else borrowed from the same source as you. (In other words, that person may have rolled a similar name without even knowing about your character.)

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!
Re: Name Question 03/26/2012 06:09 PM CDT
Two sides to this issue.

One: You play a nice guy, and the one with the similar name plays an evil guy. People get confused.

Two: When I was in high school (three year high school) there were two other people with the same first and last name as me, one in each of the other grades. It was very funny when I got called into the counselors office and they wanted one of the others.

Option: Maybe there should be the ability to have exactly the same name. But then I could be walking around as "Male Elf", and only people that know me for some reason would see "Farluk arrives." I think that has been brought up before.

You are Crystal Soul Farluk Zoulvaun of the Monks, an Elven Moon Mage.
Re: Name Question 03/27/2012 05:04 AM CDT
All I know is that Molkien needs to die in a fire.
Re: Name Question 03/27/2012 07:45 AM CDT
<<One: You play a nice guy, and the one with the similar name plays an evil guy. People get confused.>>

That can be amusing. I have characters of the same name that play different guilds in different instances. Makes for some amusement when one is a necro and one is an "innocent" tezerite...., or ones a thief and ones a WM, or a ranger; or one's an empath and the other is a barbarian or a MM. Rawr! Cast! zap! :-)

<"I didn't know you could cast spells! .... Yup!>

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Name Question 03/27/2012 10:25 PM CDT
Not sure that's really the same thing GersteinJ2 .. since generally characters don't recognize eachother across the instances.

Sols!

“Some people never go crazy... What truly horrible lives they must live”