Fire Bugs 01/17/2017 11:12 PM CST
Howdy folks. Anyone know how you make one of these "burned fire" objects that never goes away? Having trouble reproducing it for some reason.

Any other fire-related bugs while I'm at it? Damn system is so archaic, hard to know what is intended and what isn't.

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Fire Bugs 01/18/2017 12:40 AM CST
lol i bet Powerhaus does.

>Any other fire-related bugs while I'm at it?

Fires started with vines can only be fed with other vines. Fires started with sticks or branches can't be fed with vines. You can't start grass fires. Sometimes you can't feed fires with branches if you started the fire with flint but if you started the fire with a lighter you can feed the fire with branches? That one was weird and i didn't try repetition. Sometimes compost destroys fires, sometimes it doesn't.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Fire Bugs 01/18/2017 12:57 AM CST
If you light a branch and pick it up as a burning branch, then drop the burning branch it snuffs the burning branch - you are unable to relight it using flint but you can relight it with a lighter.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Fire Bugs 01/18/2017 08:45 AM CST
* Charcoal sold in the general store (at least in Crossing) burns out too fast.
* Sticks/branches/logs are now too large/heavy to fit into a portable stove.
Re: Fire Bugs 01/18/2017 10:55 AM CST
Lighters seem to use their own set of fire mechanics. I'll have to get creative and merge the two somehow to remove some of the differences.

We can see about increasing the size of the portable stoves. Where are some places they are sold at? Can probably make these craftable even.

Right now I'm most-interested in how immovable burned items are being created.

Thanks!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
Re: Fire Bugs 01/18/2017 12:50 PM CST
>Where are some places they are sold at?

Taernen's Alchemical and Herbal Supplies, Sisters In Lore, Shard's Osut'vie, Net and Bait, Enfermine's Dry Goods, Chizili's Alchemical Goods, Berolt's Dry Goods
Re: Fire Bugs 01/18/2017 08:03 PM CST
If you are going to poke at lighters, can you make it so they can light naphta on fire again when they are pointed at people?

Monster Elec

You hear the distant echo of a savage Horde snarling in barbaric disapproval of your deeds.
Re: Fire Bugs 01/19/2017 12:45 AM CST
>>If you are going to poke at lighters, can you make it so they can light naphta on fire again when they are pointed at people?

Gut feeling is if it ever does that, it's going to be a skill (brawling?) vs skill (definitely evasion) check.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Fire Bugs 01/19/2017 08:50 AM CST
>>Gut feeling is if it ever does that, it's going to be a skill (brawling?) vs skill (definitely evasion) check.

Isn't it already a skill check to apply the nap? Light Thrown vs Evasion/Shield I thought?
Re: Fire Bugs 01/19/2017 10:15 AM CST
>>Isn't it already a skill check to apply the nap? Light Thrown vs Evasion/Shield I thought?

I don't know if it's just vs shield or all defenses, but yeah AFAIK it's essentially a LT weapon.

That said, all flaming weapons/fire-based magics/etc that light it involved both the skill based check if the hit lands, let alone (AFAIK) the skill to hit the area where it's applied. I don't think lighters should auto-win without checks/roundtimes/etc.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Fire Bugs 01/19/2017 11:13 AM CST
>>That said, all flaming weapons/fire-based magics/etc that light it involved both the skill based check if the hit lands, let alone (AFAIK) the skill to hit the area where it's applied. I don't think lighters should auto-win without checks/roundtimes/etc.

All of those also include damage on their attack, none of them just light the nap.

There is a check for napatha, when you throw it at someone. Why does lighting it on fire need to be a second check? You're essentially splashed with gasoline, someone should be able to chuck a match at you and have it ignite. In fact it shouldn't be restricted to lighters either, maybe use the TOSS verb to throw a lit object at someone and light them on fire.
Re: Fire Bugs 01/19/2017 11:41 AM CST
>>Why does lighting it on fire need to be a second check?

Because it's a skill-based game.

>>You're essentially splashed with gasoline, someone should be able to chuck a match at you and have it ignite.

Yes, and the match needs to land, which requires skill.

>>In fact it shouldn't be restricted to lighters either, maybe use the TOSS verb to throw a lit object at someone and light them on fire.

I fully support that. If it happens, there should be a skill check.

Re: Fire Bugs 01/19/2017 12:49 PM CST
Great, new proposal, light on contact napatha. Lets get it added to Alchemy. Everyone's happy, we're way off topic anyway.
Re: Fire Bugs 02/03/2017 12:30 PM CST
>>Right now I'm most-interested in how immovable burned items are being created.

Shouldn't fire be immovable?

I figured all this was because of the new craftable wood, and there was some missed hook that didn't immediately make you drop it, or when you kick it when it becomes a 'fire' or a 'torch', when it should destroy itself when snuffed after its larger than torch/a fire.

I couldn't get a 'new' log to burn, charcoal and oil didn't have this issue, and I didn't try 'wood' from dismantled boxes...

Don't forget burning touch WM cantrip too!

The immortal fire that doesn't burn/consume pieces of itself is harder to make... I just wanted a 'small fire' like the random one I found abandoned on the street... I could never reproduce that 'small fire' though; always a 'burning burned fire' or 'burning blackened fire' that I could weaponize.
I think it depended on how much wood you added to the fire at different points of sniffing it? Since sometimes it would go to zero parts when you counted the fire.

~Fire Bug Power!
"I adopted a fire!"
Re: Fire Bugs 02/13/2017 04:39 AM CST
Although somewhat off topic, I noticed a while back how crazy trying to light a fire had become and was determined to figure it out. If you find any fires laying around they are probably mine, since I don't think anyone else bothers to make them. The only way I found that didn't generate those weird messages was to forage up a branch (or collect a pile), set that branch on fire (I use burning touch) so that it becomes a torch, drop the torch, get another branch, and then PUT BRANCH IN TORCH. It converts to a fire at that point, and more branches can be added to it. I know logs could be used before, but I just couldn't make it work with them. Fires also don't change their size, although maybe I'm just mis-remembering creating bonfires years ago.
Re: Fire Bugs 03/10/2017 06:13 AM CST
>>* Sticks/branches/logs are now too large/heavy to fit into a portable stove.
>>We can see about increasing the size of the portable stoves. Where are some places they are sold at? Can probably make these craftable even.

The stoves are able to accept peat as a fuel source, from what I've found.

>>I couldn't get a 'new' log to burn, charcoal and oil didn't have this issue, and I didn't try 'wood' from dismantled boxes...

I've had much success with foraging for limbs and branches. You can also light vines on fire. You need to forage up a limb, branch, or vine to start. You'll then want to get at least one more of the same type. As an example, I'll use a limb. (Everything can be located on the ground when you do this, there's no problems with it.) FORAGE LIMB, FORAGE LIMB, LIGHT LIMB WITH FLINT, GET SECOND LIMB, PUT MY LIMB ON LIMB and that should make a small fire. Adding more branches or limbs to a wood fire will make it a large fire at some point, but vine fires will only accept vines as their fuel source (IIRC).

On another note, you can't stand near a fire or sit near it. "You can't reach that." is the message it gives me. Is that supposed to be an option for SIT or STAND?
Re: Fire Bugs 03/10/2017 01:14 PM CST
Not being able to scoot over near the fire is sad!

You can still "stretch fire" though.

You stretch out a hand to a small fire.

Toasty warm fingertips, anyway.

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Fire Bugs 03/11/2017 05:53 AM CST
Sitting near a fire would be best, but toasty fingers are an acceptable.