Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/13/2016 12:02 PM CDT
>I don't think "raises learning rates to [almost?] normal values" really counts as an exp booster in this context.

Sure it does. F2P client has base rate X and is paying a fee to boost it. Just because X is less than Y doesn't mean X isn't getting boosted, and you're certainly paying for it.
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/13/2016 12:05 PM CDT
>>Sure it does. F2P client has base rate X and is paying a fee to boost it. Just because X is less than Y doesn't mean X isn't getting boosted, and you're certainly paying for it.

Eh, don't see it that way.

Gamewide, the normal rate is X. The "boost" brings people who were at X-1 closer to X.

Anything past the norm is a boost. This isn't past the norm.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/13/2016 12:57 PM CDT

The "end-game" for me in this game is PvP. To call hunting Lava Wyrms (or whatever the top-end creature is currently) 'end-game' is laughable, mainly because the current hunting/combat in place is a joke. (again the old make combat deadly argument). You can't PvP in this game unless you are in the compeititive range in ranks, which is in the several hundreds if not more (probably the thousands and beyond from what I'm seeing).

This also doesn't affect most of you 'old-timers' here, as the 'QuadBoost' potions don't work beyond a certain rank cap(500/700/1000 or whatever they decide to cap it at). These potions don't have a down-side (none of the comments to the contrary make a lick of sense; apart from "I want to feel special I grinded this far on the standard XP curve") it takes the 'stolen' revenue from DRSALES and gives it back to SIMU, and let's new players actually participate in invasions, PvP arenas, and hunting trips with the bulk of the population.
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/13/2016 01:07 PM CDT
>>You can't PvP in this game unless you are in the compeititive range in ranks, which is in the several hundreds if not more (probably the thousands and beyond from what I'm seeing).

You can't PvP with those particular players, but if people didn't try to make a mad dash to the top, they could PvP with each other along the way.

>>(again the old make combat deadly argument)

Once again, hunting harder things makes combat more deadly. Stop hunting at the typical "at level" range for your skills if you want a harder fight. With the exception of players who literally have nothing harder to hunt, hard combat is there for those who want it. Most just don't.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/13/2016 04:07 PM CDT

The problem is in this game you are actually punished for hunting something harder rather then rewarded, the maximum efficiency for rank gain is to hunt something at circle or slightly lower.

I swear the game turned into a pretty good combat system into a "made-for-character-sellers-who-need-to-script-grind-their-products" combat system. It's really a shame.
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/13/2016 04:09 PM CDT

> I swear the game turned into a pretty good combat system into a "made-for-character-sellers-who-need-to-script-grind-their-products" combat system. It's really a shame.

That's neither here nor there, but ranges were narrowed in 3.0. If anything, they made combat harder because you had to advance sooner than you otherwise did.
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/13/2016 04:36 PM CDT
>> If anything, they made combat harder because you had to advance sooner than you otherwise did.

Combat is waaaay easier post 3.0. There are like, a couple of ranges it can be a challenge to bridge at sub-150 ranks depending on what guild you are, but it's almost impossible to die in combat unless you screw up now.

PvP is also more fun at lower to midrange than it is at the high-end, though I would say less fun in general due to everyone being massive damage sponges and locking anyone down being almost impossible.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/13/2016 06:13 PM CDT

Each attack in the game should be "valuable" but the combat now just goes on and on and on and on and on... mainly so you can train off a critter. Death? Ha! It's like everyone in the game is using nerf bats. This seeps into PvP as well; where fights just take FOR-Ev-ER. But at least with PvP you're going up againstcanother human so some strategy and thinking on your part is required.
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"?::NUDGE:: 06/13/2016 06:28 PM CDT

This conversation is not about PVP and combat.

Get back on topic.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/16/2016 09:14 PM CDT

I am curious though - what's stopping you guys from just rolling an alt and trying another guild? I've got 8 characters - why can't you?

Or by 'catch up' do you mean you expect to hop each character immediately to the PvP potential of your main?
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/16/2016 09:37 PM CDT

> I am curious though - what's stopping you guys from just rolling an alt and trying another guild? I've got 8 characters - why can't you?

50 circles. A lot of guilds play VERY differently in the first hundred or so ranks than they do in the mid levels. Not everyone wants those early ranks.

> Or by 'catch up' do you mean you expect to hop each character immediately to the PvP potential of your main?

Re-read the thread. It was suggested that the character be "power leveled" to the minimum requirements or otherwise receive a bonus to learning. A hand-leveled character, that's well rounded, will always be better than a power leveled character. On one hand, you know it better. On the other, you'll have more stats at the same circle.
Re: "Pay-to-win" is bad, but is "pay-to-catchup"? 06/17/2016 07:27 AM CDT

Hi, this one's done.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page