Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 04:19 PM CDT
Is there an easy way to get your target into a StormFront script as a variable without having the user enter it on the command line?

Specifcally I am trying to write a thrown weapon script for my handy dandy pike and I don't know how to tell it to pull the weapon out of the creature when lodged without having to enter it on the command line. Which I don't mind doing, it's just ... inelegant, since you might be fighting more than one kind of creature, and restarting the script for each one is lame.

http://www.heromachine.com
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 04:22 PM CDT
setvariable pike <pike name> is the command to us in the script.

~Eoworfinia~
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie and one to listen. Homer Simpson

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 04:24 PM CDT
<<setvariable pike <pike name> is the command to us in the script.
Not that. He wants to pull the lodged pike from the variable creature without having to specify it in the command line.

-Stayn
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 04:31 PM CDT
Yes, I thought he was wanting to do it in the script. That is the command to set it in the script. If I want to be able to change on the fly what weapon to look for, I do something like this:

put glance
match HE bastard sword
match ME scimitar
matchwait

HE:
setvariable weapon bastard sword

ME:
setvariable weapon scimitar

Sorry if I'm not understanding. I don't know if the type of weapon shows up in the look of a critter if lodge in it but that would be a way to match if it does.

~Eoworfinia~

Get the facts first and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 04:35 PM CDT
<<Sorry if I'm not understanding.
It's not the weapon that is dynamic/changing it is the critter he is lodging it into. :)

-Stayn
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 04:45 PM CDT
Hmm, I just tried to see if I could be generic. Nope. So for SF all I can think of is this match table...

match setfrog heggarangi frog
match setwolf blood wolf
match ...
match ...
match ..
put assess
matchwait

setfrog:
setvariable creature frog
goto getweap

setwolf:
setvariable creature wolf
goto getweap
Of course I don't know which wolf/frog it would select if you don't supply an ordinal number, I suppose the one your facing.

-Stayn
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 04:50 PM CDT
Oh duh! Where is the hair dye, I think my grey is showing.

I've always done a %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 at the start of the script to set the critters I'm hunting.

So, it's not auto but does hold the critters that come into the area you are hunting till you start the script over.

start:
if_1 goto critterset

critterset:
setvariable critter1 %1
setvariable critter2 %2
ect

Not sure that helps but it is a way to hold the variable till you change hunting areas.

~Eoworfinia~

Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 05:06 PM CDT
Use a match table.

SF can grab variables from matchre, right?

If not, just use two match tables.

You (solidly balanced) are facing a ship's rat (2) at melee range.
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 05:08 PM CDT
<<SF can grab variables from matchre, right?
Can you explain this? (I didn't realize we could "capture" anything in SF)

-Stayn
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 05:55 PM CDT
I suspected something with matchre might work, but I am clueless as to how to use it. And before getting all stove up over learning it, I wanted to make sure that it is actually possible to use StormFront to take incoming text from the game engine (i.e. pulling the name of what you're facing from ASSESS) and storing it into a variable.

Basically that's what I'm asking -- is there a way to do this elegantly by querying the game and capturing the text it returns to you?
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 06:00 PM CDT
>Can you explain this? (I didn't realize we could "capture" anything in SF)

Maybe I'm wrong about that. I use Genie. Anyway, you can do it with two matchtables without grabbing anything. Or one if you fight in an area with only one creature type.
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 06:06 PM CDT
It doesn't look like it can be done that way. A match table doesn't appeal for that many entries, so I'll just leave it as-is, as a user-entered variable.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 06:09 PM CDT
<<Basically that's what I'm asking -- is there a way to do this elegantly by querying the game and capturing the text it returns to you?

http://www.play.net/dr/play/stormfront_scripting.asp
^If this is correct then no. However, you can use the ASSESS to track down the creatures noun and then pass it to your weapon retrieve function. You will have to continually add to it as you move through different creatures.

-Stayn
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/21/2009 11:19 PM CDT
I could have swore some generic syntax worked for me years back. Like "take <item> from" and just leave it at that. And just leave out the critter entirely. It may not be it exactly though. It was a long time ago since I last messed with pulling things from my target.

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: Getting the name of your target in StormFront 08/22/2009 12:47 AM CDT
>Is there an easy way to get your target into a StormFront script as a variable without having the user enter it on the command line?

I deal with this by having a "critter name" variable and I just use match tables to set it on critter death.

It only gets updated if one of the sections that needs to use a "target name" has problems (IE: Appraising a Critter that doesn't exist) and sets a "critter name update" flag.

I use this variable for Appraisal and Moon Mage Power Perception.

~Nitish