Storm Front help documentation 10/14/2004 05:53 PM CDT
Okay I've recently come back to dragon realms and so far like the storm front front-end.
However there is something missing ........ DOCUMENTATION !!!!
Where can I find a listing of all things to do with storm front.
Like how do turn on auto sneak ?
How to turn of command echos ???
You know all the important stuff that should be included in a help file !
Re: Storm Front help documentation 10/14/2004 07:24 PM CDT
No kidding, a well laid out help text file would be very nice. I couldnt find one when it first game out and assumed it would be forth coming later. Lets hope that does happen. Some day I'll manage to Stormfornt for more then thirty minutes at a time. :::mental shudder:: If a good text file of what/where everything does is and how to do it was put out that might get me to use it more.

Jim

Connecting to game - please wait.

DragonRealms will be up Shortly.

* Connection to the game has been dropped.

The game appears to be alive, but it is not responding to the Wizard's requests.
Re: Storm Front help documentation 10/14/2004 10:25 PM CDT
There should be more documentation, though I can answer one of your questions, there is no auto-sneak

Jalika
Re: Storm Front help documentation 10/15/2004 08:51 AM CDT
>>Like how do turn on auto sneak ?

Set it up in a macro.

Brabs

It's fascinating, though, how much like an oral culture this can be when it's carried out entirely in text.--GM Natala
Re: Storm Front help documentation 10/16/2004 01:24 AM CDT
Okay I'll state the obvious.... How ?!
Re: Storm Front help documentation 10/16/2004 02:32 PM CDT
most of the things you can do in stormfront either have buttons or rely on the right-click feature (much like learning windows for those who are computer illiterate) rightclick on something and it will give you a whole list of things you can do

Souv

Live and learn, then get luvs

manipulate friendship maid
>
A bar maid is not interested in your manipulations at this time. Perhaps later...
Re: Storm Front help documentation 10/16/2004 04:22 PM CDT
Has StormFront been updated since it's first release with either dates in the auto log files, or better handling in the organization and editing of scripts for easy on the fly access?

~Dreamheart
Re: Storm Front help documentation 10/16/2004 05:53 PM CDT
(much like learning windows for those who are computer illiterate) rightclick on something and it will give you a whole list of things you can do

Souv <--

Stormfront for those of us who have learned and memory mapped the Wizard, is like comparing those who knew the old DOS language or used dos based programs like Wordstar, Word Perfect for dos etc. When the Windows versions of these software packages and operating systems came out it was confusing for many of us.

The developers of Stormfront are like Windows based developers that make statements like "Its intuitive and easy to learn to use". Its not for those of us who have gotten used to a certain way of doing things, things that have become second nature to us.

A good text based help document indeed would help greatly for those of us who attempt to look over Stormfront every few months. Sadly most developers have forgotten this rule that people grow comfortable with what works and think that we "want to" learn a new software package. Sorry I'm fourty years old, I don't want to figure out yet again a supposedly intuitive software program. Give us a bloody helpful text based help document that spells out everything the damn sofware can do and how. Is that so hard?

I don't want to spend hours figuring this or that out, I am not of the Doom video game generation. I just want to use the tool, not have to figure out how it works. What made the Wizard so nice was its ease of use. When Keith Ledbetter aka NW Strider first started passing this bit of software out to us years ago for Gemstone, it was a godsend. It was easy to use and elegant in its simplicity. I compare this to the old GEnie wizard FE that we used over when Gemstone was only on GEnie and not on AOL or the web. That peice of sofware was a pain in the arse to use and very difficult to set up.

So when the deICEing came along and AOL got access to the game and Keith Ledbetter(NW Strider) who had done code work for Never Winter Nights on AOL among other things came along and wrote his own FE for Gemstone we leaped at it. I was very happy when SIMU later embraced this FE. It had a good text based help file that told you of changes and things you could do ect.

Now you have this Stormfront FE, it looks nice and has alot going on in it. Personally I think its far to busy looking and I do not like it. That said SIMU's made it clear that they will nolonger update the Wizard. That's fine I'll work on understanding Stormfront since that's the future of SIMU's text based games, but please give us a useful text based document that spells out the how's and whats of what your damn sofware does! That way I can clean it up and remove all the busy body clutter and make it into something I can use.

Jim

p.s: Souv, this post actually is directed at SIMU Myke, sorry that it came off looking like it was directed at you. Its not. Your remark above just made me have to post. I am not computer illiterate, matterfact I used to work with Network software etc years ago. I out grew the need to master and learn each and every new thing to come down the pike though years ago. Part of what I totally hate about the computer industry is that they change things to just change them, instead of improving upon software. It gets old that you can never really master it, software and the computer industry takes over your life instead of you running your life when you work in said industry. I was very happy when I left the industry in 1998.

Connecting to game - please wait.

DragonRealms will be up shortly.

* Connection to the game has been dropped.

The game appears to be alive, but it is not responding to the Wizard's requests.
Re: Storm Front help documentation 10/16/2004 08:43 PM CDT
no offence taken. I like the changes personally, I find it easier to tell someone to rightclick on something and look at the options they can do than read a text document which for all intents and purposes may in fact be the size of a small novel when detailing EVERYTHING a piece of software can do. I think that is a bigger waste of time than getting your feet wet in it.

Souv

AKA network administrator for the largest Savin dealer in the state of Kansas

manipulate friendship maid
>
A bar maid is not interested in your manipulations at this time. Perhaps later...