An Easy question to answer 06/05/2004 09:31 PM CDT
How in the world to do pick up the second item in the room. Like There's a broken twig, a long twig and ebony twig here. I would type out get second twig and it worked. Is that the only way?

Thanks!
Re: An Easy question to answer 06/05/2004 10:53 PM CDT
Yup, that's pretty much it. The parser doesn't allow for the shortening of the number words (SECOND, FOURTH, TENTH, etc.) either. So you have to type them out all the way.

Amagaim; the player of,

That or make you a first circle Empath who must work 24/7 in the Infirmary, with access only to EWH, while Jourok reads bad poetry and microeconomics of third world nations in his full accent.
--- SGM Auriane
Re: An Easy question to answer 06/05/2004 10:56 PM CDT
currently

.srats eht esahc sevlow ,eerf nur snrocinu erehW

Re: An Easy question to answer 06/06/2004 12:21 AM CDT
well, technically you can use 'other' for the 2nd one too...

get other stick

or you could pick the first thing up and then the second thing, then 'drop other thing'...hehe...lots of complicated ways to it.

Kythryn
Re: An Easy question to answer 06/06/2004 01:54 AM CDT
There are a couple of instances wherein not even the ordinal/other works, however. Such as the COMPARE verb when trying to compare two items of the same type (ie a "cutlass" versus an "unevenly sharpened cutlass"). In those cases, you just get the standard messaging about trying to work the item with itself.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: An Easy question to answer 06/06/2004 05:44 AM CDT
>>>There are a couple of instances wherein not even the ordinal/other works, however. Such as the COMPARE verb when trying to compare two items of the same type (ie a "cutlass" versus an "unevenly sharpened cutlass"). In those cases, you just get the standard messaging about trying to work the item with itself.

Because the parser only accepts two variables for the identifier of each object, from what I can tell. Variable 1 would be BLACK, HISAN, FIFTH, MY, or some other descriptive word like that. Variable two is the noun for the item: LEATHERS, SALVE, BRANCH, CUTLASS, GOBLIN, for examples.

With items that have more than one descriptor, it becomes a guessing game as to which one is going to be the activator for the item. Easiest one to figure out: a color tends to be the activator (black leathers, RED gem POUCH). For non-color descriptors, generally the one that can be modified by the other descriptors (unevenly SHARPENED CUTLASS) tends to be the activator.

Standard caveat applies; I can always be wrong. But if I am wrong, I think I'm still pretty close.

Amagaim; the player of,

That or make you a first circle Empath who must work 24/7 in the Infirmary, with access only to EWH, while Jourok reads bad poetry and microeconomics of third world nations in his full accent.
--- SGM Auriane
Re: An Easy question to answer 06/06/2004 04:00 PM CDT
Would that mean that the rest of the item description would be irrelevent to the parser (it wouldn't care what the full item name was, so long as it could find the two keywords)? If so, wouldn't that make SECOND and SHARPENED synonymous, thereby allowing the parser to figure out that SECOND/OTHER CUTLASS did not in fact refer to the CUTLASS in my right hand? The problem wasn't that the parser could not find what I was talking about, it just thought I was comparing "cutlass" (the cutlass in my right hand) to "cutlass" (the cutlass in my right hand) instead of "cutlass" (the cutlass in my right hand) to "unevenly sharpened cutlass" (the cutlass in my left hand).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: An Easy question to answer 06/06/2004 05:24 PM CDT
Well, I don't know how the system would determine which one would be first and which one second. With critters, the most recent one to enter a room is the one that is first and the existing ones move down the list accordingly. But with items, especially when they get shifted between characters, the ordering gets a little confused.

So to be safe, use the descriptors in the name of the item rather than numbers. We, the players, can't see the number attached to an item, except for in combat using the ASSESS verb. Unless you want to sit there and count it using INVENTORY and RUMMAGE.

Amagaim; the player of,

--- SGM Auriane
Re: An Easy question to answer 07/02/2004 03:54 AM CDT
>So to be safe, use the descriptors in the name of the item rather than numbers. We, the players, can't see the number attached to an item, except for in combat using the ASSESS verb. Unless you want to sit there and count it using INVENTORY and RUMMAGE.

Actually, in DR2, if you watch the XML datastream between StormFront and the server, you can see the real exist #s of items you are holding in your hands and the exist of the stow container. You can then manipulate those items by their exists..like drop #832181, or focus #14717.

Of course, this is not very useful for what you guys are talking about, since exist #s for stuff in your inventory changes every time you log in, but it's neat just the same.

-Sukair

"Nevertheless, history no longer matters here -- in things that have happened and things that will happen and things that are happening. Elanthia is dying."