Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/05/2011 09:08 AM CST
I gate Platinum a try. There where some nice players who made playing great and I enjoyed seeing them in game.

but there are some problems that kept cropping up that kept halting the enjoyment to often.

1. Finding a Teacher for anything was a minor problem. If asked in a general sort of way for a teacher people where busy, no problem there at all teachers aren't on call and on tap like a beer keg. But some players got hostile with it.

2. Asking someone to help get a character into a guild so they could join? People walking around of that guild and near it to boot, but instead of a willingness to move them one room past a stupid blocking NPC they tell you to re-roll. Lifting a finger over some littlest of tasks to aid with appeared to be too much.

3. If a character is being role played as a jerk please don't carry that over into the OOC chatter unless you really are a jerk. It is hard to glean such elements from texts on the screen. In OOC be as respectful to the other player as you would be to someone you where gaming with at the table. Keep IG and OG separate. Golden rule is a good guide rule.

4. Don't call a person a whiner or a reporting flager when someone has never reported or flaged something. How can someone report anything when that had little exposure to the other 12-18 players because everyone is doing their own thing.

5. Plat was fun in and of itself. Had more things going on then Kill critter, gain exp, level level level. RP was really fun as well but there are some little things that game mechanics mess up because it is helpful for when hundreds of people are playing at once but have not real purpose when there are only 12 people around. If a mechanic is limiting the flow of things then work around it.

Thanks again for the short but fun time. Sadly it was turning south quickly and just not worth 50 dollars a month for me. But someone else may have a different experience.
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/05/2011 09:17 AM CST
Logs are available for anyone curious about the other side to most of this... perspective.

Long story short, even in plat most people will only keep helping out certain types of players for so long before they realize it's just being abused by people intent on playing victim / guilt cards.

And when you chatter that you are taking your ball and going home because we're so anti-social and mean, literally three days after:

"Chatter[Daskari] you guys/gals are nice. you have made my playing DR fun again. I hope I haven't adversly impacted anyones enjoyment."

I have to wonder what the heck you are talking about. And before you cry foul, remember who gave your newbie a plat because you forgot to even buy a ticket during a raffle...

Make up your mind.

Ryken
--
lolbard 3.0
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/05/2011 09:24 AM CST
Just to address a few of these issues.

>>1. Finding a Teacher for anything was a minor problem. If asked in a general sort of way for a teacher people where busy, no problem there at all teachers aren't on call and on tap like a beer keg. But some players got hostile with it.

This is only a problem if you do not make yourself available at the gate or other places people congregate. Asking and expecting teachers to come to you is not going to work.

>>2. Asking someone to help get a character into a guild so they could join? People walking around of that guild and near it to boot, but instead of a willingness to move them one room past a stupid blocking NPC they tell you to re-roll. Lifting a finger over some littlest of tasks to aid with appeared to be too much.

Alion is a necromancer, not a trader. He was going to rob you blind and kill you if possible. You had hard time separating IC and OOC with this interaction.

>>3. If a character is being role played as a jerk please don't carry that over into the OOC chatter unless you really are a jerk. It is hard to glean such elements from texts on the screen. In OOC be as respectful to the other player as you would be to someone you where gaming with at the table. Keep IG and OG separate. Golden rule is a good guide rule.

I think most would say your passive agressiveness on chatter afte the slightest lack of coddling IG is what gets you this reaction. I for one often restrained myself in my replies to you and you still didn't like it.

>>4. Don't call a person a whiner or a reporting flager when someone has never reported or flaged something. How can someone report anything when that had little exposure to the other 12-18 players because everyone is doing their own thing.

You begged for necro belt knives then went on a metagaming rant, and stayed RP heavy, PVP closed the entire time you played. Really don't need to go into detail here.

>>5. Plat was fun in and of itself. Had more things going on then Kill critter, gain exp, level level level. RP was really fun as well but there are some little things that game mechanics mess up because it is helpful for when hundreds of people are playing at once but have not real purpose when there are only 12 people around. If a mechanic is limiting the flow of things then work around it.

Agree on some levels, but is those challenges that make Plat special.
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/05/2011 09:34 AM CST
>1. Finding a Teacher for anything was a minor problem. If asked in a general sort of way for a teacher people where busy, no problem there at all teachers aren't on call and on tap like a beer keg. But some players got hostile with it.

You were unwilling to walk the rooms from the WM guild to the NE gate. To learn TM. As a WM. Repeatedly. Because there was bad mana there.

All in all, frankly, you were very passive agressive, and seemed to demonstrate an amazing lack of social skills and common courtesy.

When players politely told you that it was rude to demand someone come to you for teaching you up and decided to take your ball and go home, and then post a big 'here's what I think of plat!!' post.
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? ::NUDGE:: 02/05/2011 10:11 AM CST

A post was removed.

Additionally, this isn't the conflicts folder feel free to take the conflicting over there.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? ::NUDGE:: 02/05/2011 10:23 AM CST
All I can say is wow.

Plat has a reputation for being the huggie smoochie instance, not for being rude. If you find them to be so then I have to say the problem was the way you were acting and not them.

If you decide to come back to Prime then I hope you learn something from this, or you will not find your experience any better, and for the most part probably far worse.

There are other things I'd like to say, but since this isn't the conflicts folder I'll just end it here while it's still constructive.
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/05/2011 10:30 AM CST
To clear up some confusion that seems to have been generated.

To the Alion thing. I was asking via chatter for a trader to help with something. You replied and where not a trader. This was not a RP moment. This was one of those little times a mechanic was being a minor pain.

Asking for a teacher and asking "If" they would be willing to come to the war mage guild to teach a class. Please explain the demands being made. I asked in the OOC venue and told I was being rude. twice no less even after apologizing and saying that was not what I intended.

Asking about a belt skinning knife someone would sell or be willing to help me obtain without have to walk all the way down to shard without jumper jewelry in OOC. A simple out of character request from one player to anther to the effect that if they had the ability to obtain something to would they be willing to help.

RP heavy and PvP closed makes me a reporter and a flager... I just had no interest in PvP, why would this be problem causing? PvP is not required to RP. And this is the type of RP I rather engage in.

All in all, frankly, you were very passive aggressive, and seemed to demonstrate an amazing lack of social skills and common courtesy.
^
Hmm, I had been playing in this instance a short time and was trying to learn the social etiquette. Things that may have appeared as cries for coddling as you expressed where actually as they we're read. I was worried about coming into a new setting and doing something or saying something that would annoy someone while they where playing. pure and simple. I didn't want to ask 100s of questions like a tag along little brother. I asked and accepted any answer I was able to obtain.

"Pardon me while I sat in a corner stroking." As in have a brain based heart attack like stroke. Elements of the game where far more exciting and held more potential for enjoyment then I thought. This was not some dirty innuendo.

My talking about prime was saying how unhappy my experience had been there and plat appeared to so much better. I was happy and enjoying the game again as I once had a long time ago. You never had a bad experience some place, then found some just like it and enjoyed it more that you never talked about the unpleasant experiences with others before?

My choice to leave was not based purely one this instance. I had watched people interact via chatter. I also tried to gauge out well I fit into the group of players. This small a population I worried about coming across as something I wasn't trying to be.
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/05/2011 10:43 AM CST
So there can't be a non-RP moment about some game coded thing that could be handled in 2 seconds? This would be one of those moments before the performance with an actor would be asking someone to help them straiten their wig or costume. I wasn't ready for any kind of RP with that character at that moment. I was trying to get set up...

Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/05/2011 10:44 AM CST
You want to know why, honestly? You said you chattered and used an OOC mechanism so he was wrong, etc...

But the log:

Littles thinks: "Pardon me, but might there be a trader around Crossings by some chance?"

Using a gweth is IC. He responded IC.

Ryken
--
lolbard 3.0
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/05/2011 10:48 AM CST
> I wasn't ready for any kind of RP with that character at that moment.

Not really what I'd want to hear when talking about Plat.
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/05/2011 11:35 AM CST
>>Littles thinks: "Pardon me, but might there be a trader around Crossings by some chance?"

>>Using a gweth is IC. He responded IC.

This. You requested a trader IC and a necromancer came to "assist you".

You needed OOC mechanic help, which is why I then spent 5 minutes in OOC whispers explaining your options and then ended the conversation. Short of coming out and saying "I'm a necromancer (outting myself was not going to happen), there was nothing I could have done to make you happy at that point. Keep in mind what you were asking was for a Trader (assumed) to let someone they didnt know into the trader guild.

Also note, you took my advice and it worked just fine.
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/05/2011 11:36 AM CST
>> 1. Finding a Teacher for anything was a minor problem. If asked in a general sort of way for a teacher people where busy, no problem there at all teachers aren't on call and on tap like a beer keg. But some players got hostile with it.

I agree and disagree with this.

1) I never had trouble finding a teacher, but at the same time the only gathering spot Plat tends to have is the NE gate. That's not specifically a bad thing. It's just that it's where everyone hangs out. So if someone wants to be taught somewhere else, it tends to be problematic because it draws people away from where they want to be/teach.

2) I would go crazy playing a guild that had any kind of notable teaching reqs, because I personally hate asking people to show up to listen to me. I can't wait until scholarship and teaching merge so I can act like teaching doesn't exist from now until forever.

>> 2. Asking someone to help get a character into a guild so they could join? People walking around of that guild and near it to boot, but instead of a willingness to move them one room past a stupid blocking NPC they tell you to re-roll. Lifting a finger over some littlest of tasks to aid with appeared to be too much.

Some characters are naturally anti-social. Most people on chatter (me included, possibly especially) tend to direct people to Elanthipedia. I tend to do this because the more I stress that a lot of information is already out there and much better written than what I could say in a chatter or two, the more someone is compelled to try to research stuff themselves.

>>5. Plat was fun in and of itself. Had more things going on then Kill critter, gain exp, level level level. RP was really fun as well but there are some little things that game mechanics mess up because it is helpful for when hundreds of people are playing at once but have not real purpose when there are only 12 people around. If a mechanic is limiting the flow of things then work around it.

Honestly, I think this is a legitimate thing to highlight. I would have loved if this entire post started and ended with this statement, because it's completely true. It's easier to judge a whole community based on a negative experience with one or two players when the population generally stays between 12-20.

Being taught (and teaching) classes isn't the easiest thing ever with a small population, either, so both parties need to have general agreements (like "I only really teach at the NE gate because then if someone shows up at least we have three people to talk with together, instead of them having to find you and me at the X instead").

I'm sorry to hear you left on a bad note, but at the same time I wish you wouldn't have left after just one bad day, especially after the days upon days where you were saying in chatter that you were having so much fun.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/06/2011 11:09 AM CST
Occasionally we get people like this in TF also, who aren't satisfied with the 100 plat they get, and some odds and ends of forged blades, forged armor, fletched longbows, and tanned leathers from whoever happens to be ATK and willing to help. Eventually, they get weaned, patience runs out, and they either press on and learn how to do things for themselves, or they go away.

NMUs are not people. -GM Armifer
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/06/2011 12:59 PM CST
I've found that its "healthier" to develop your own resources. Because like many small communities, if you are not part of the "clique" - people tend to be judgmental on All of your characters, even if you RP them of being at opposite ends of the spectrum. either you have to figure out how to do things on your own, or give up. And I don't give up very easily.

Don't count on GM interaction. Frankly, Prime has more. When we do get some though it is much appreciated.

there are benefits to a small population as well. never lacking for a hunting spot. Of course, thats a benefit that applies to TF as well.

-never say die- ::the great work::

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/06/2011 01:40 PM CST
>>Eventually, they get weaned, patience runs out, and they either press on and learn how to do things for themselves, or they go away.

This generally has been true from my experience in Plat and long ago in Prime even to an extent. But, like every rule, it seems to have an exception or three.

Ryken
--
lolbard 3.0
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/06/2011 03:01 PM CST
>I've found that its "healthier" to develop your own resources. Because like many small communities, if you are not part of the "clique" - people tend to be judgmental on All of your characters, even if you RP them of being at opposite ends of the spectrum. either you have to figure out how to do things on your own, or give up. And I don't give up very easily.

I'm simply mind blown by this. I probably shouldn't be, but honestly.

You, the player, have ostracized nearly the entire community of plat. It's not a 'clique' issue. Players don't mistreat you. They simply ignore you, because they cannot afford to interact with your characters.

I am replying to the very narrow and specific instance of plat 'cliques' as you put forward. Nothing else. Period.

The player who quit was helped quite a bit, by a number of people. Money, equipment, advice both plat-specific and general DR mechanics. Players went out of thier way to help him. He simply didn't want to play ball, and seemed to be looking for a reason to be upset and leave. It was not a clique issue, unless you would consider the 'cliquers' are often the more vocal members of the community, chat at each other, and were the ones helping him out.

Cliques tend to be a function of larger communities; plat has a low enough population that by and large groups are open and accepting.
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/06/2011 04:30 PM CST
This sounds like it needs to continue in Complaints or Conflicts.

Or on the Plat Forums in either of the same topics.

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412
Re: Plat or Prime, Which is more fun? 02/06/2011 05:40 PM CST
If everyone else is wrong and you still think your right... your probably wrong.