Thinking about trying plat 12/23/2010 11:11 AM CST
So, I've been thinking about giving platinum a shot, but I have a few questions.

1) What is the average population like, and where are the most people?
2) How hard is it go get started? Are there people around to help you out or show you things?
3) What is really different between plat and prime?

~Jalich
Re: Thinking about trying plat 12/23/2010 11:54 AM CST
I just started there a month and a half ago, so from my newbie experiences...

>>1) What is the average population like, and where are the most people?

Generally 5-15 people, but I've seen it hit 20 at times. If I'm not hanging out training foraging/scholarship/mech at the NE gate in Crossing I'm unlikely to run into anyone. BUT, Plat has global chatter like they do in TF, and it's OOC, so it's plenty social for me.

>>2) How hard is it go get started? Are there people around to help you out or show you things?

Super easy and yes. The community is generally very welcoming.

>>3) What is really different between plat and prime?

Population-wise there are less players, but everyone tends to know each other. Since there's a general RP rule in plat of "don't act like you know anyone until they introduce themselves," I've made it the habit of highlighting every character who has introduced themselves to my character. When I type "who full" the characters are half if not more highlighted now. And that doesn't end up counting players who I hear on chatter that I've yet to meet, too.

RP-wise it seems like there's a stronger possibility of more GM interaction. I guess part of this is just based on the fact that if there are (for random non-accurate example), 5 GMs dedicated to Prime events, and only 2 GMs dedicated to Plat events, you still have a higher chance of a random GM based event encounter in plat, since those 5 GMs have 200-500 players to attend to, while those 2 GMs have 5-20 to entertain/terrorize.

There seems to be little to no PvP in Plat. I don't know if that's just because no one has an interest, or the community is too small to really make factions, or what.

There are minor and major IG timeline differences, but as long as you're not using Elanthipedia as a historical document and/or bothering to reference things your characters experienced in Prime, you'd probably do fine. For example, I believe Sirolarn died differently in Plat. Xerasyth exists but was just never introduced yet AT ALL because there really isn't a big population that ever hunted tons of Adan'f warriors/mages. Inquisitors still lurk around Shard and whatisname didn't go all fanatic-bonkers because, once again, there wasn't this huge issue with them going after non Necromancers since people don't really hang out around Shard that much. No Sebastian so no evil summoned cocoon, etc.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Thinking about trying plat 12/23/2010 03:43 PM CST
>There seems to be little to no PvP in Plat.

True, but PvP absolutely can happen in Plat. Don't instigate PvP and cry foul when you get it though. Due to recent issues, folk may be more cautious about responding if they don't know the player.

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
Re: Thinking about trying plat 12/24/2010 09:54 AM CST
As a long time Plat player before I turned GM, I can say Plat has a much more intimate feel than Prime. The average circle of players is less and you can get a stab at auctions and raffles that you'd have no chance of winning in Prime. Plat also tends to get Previews of all new things before they hit Prime which can be fun for some folks.

Lets see... oh yeah, every so often the GMs hold a PvP night that results in all-out craziness in the Cemetary :P It is easier in Plat to make a name for yourself as a forger, or provider of CJ, or whatever niche you want to occupy. You also get double LTB points and jumpy jewelry that helps you get from spot to spot quickly.

Many people who try Plat never leave, so perhaps it is a worth a shot to see if it is right for you!

"I have no data yet. It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories instead of theories to suit facts."
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes