Quick Question 03/22/2005 12:05 PM CST
I'm debating on moving over to Platinum, but I have a few questions first, and was hoping someone could help me out. First, are you able to transfer Prime characters over to Plat, or do you have to get another account? Secondly, if I try it out for a month or two and don't find it to my liking, can I transfer my character back to Prime from Platinum? How many people are actually playing Plat. these days? I don't know if I could do it if I have 5 to 10 other people in the whole game with me. Thanks in advance for any help someone can give me!
Re: Quick Question 03/22/2005 12:39 PM CST
>> First, are you able to transfer Prime characters over to Plat, or do you have to get another account?<<

Your characters do not get transferred over. You can upgrade your existing account to be platinum which will give you access to prime and TF also.

>>How many people are actually playing Plat. these days<<

Currently there are around 12-18 during peak times. Sometimes more sometimes less. There are still many people with active accounts but their real lives have been keeping them busy at the moment.

I personally love it and to describe what it is like is really hard. I think it's something that needs to be experienced. Hope you decide to come join us.

~Catriona
Re: Quick Question 03/22/2005 12:47 PM CST
Ok so to be clear, if I UPGRADE my account, I will be able to use my Prime character in plat. And use him in prime again if I don't like Plat?
Re: Quick Question 03/22/2005 12:53 PM CST
Nope, you upgrade to plat , start a character here from scratch although you can usually get the same first name as your prime character. Your prime character will only exist In prime and you can play there anytime you'd like just not at the same time as when you're in platinum since it's the same account. If you don't like plat you cancel that portion of your subscription only.

~Catriona
Re: Quick Question 03/22/2005 04:59 PM CST
To make it a bit more clear it's like this.

Plat is a completely seperate instance of the game, everything is seperate from the Prime side. Fallen is a totally seperate instance as well with no ties to prime or plat. Characters are not transfered between instances.

When you make a character in Plat you start fresh, you can normally use the same name of the character from Prime or Fallen but they are seperate instances of the character.

But I loved starting fresh myself, let me change the direction of some of my characters and heck, some of them wouldn't even be recognized if someone from prime saw them in plat LOL.

Alan
Re: Quick Question 03/24/2005 10:09 PM CST
>>But I loved starting fresh myself, let me change the direction of some of my characters and heck, some of them wouldn't even be recognized if someone from prime saw them in plat

Much agreed.

I actually am beginning to enjoy playing someone whom is nice. ;)

Player of...

Keona
Quick Questions... 04/05/2010 10:28 PM CDT
Hello.

Wasn't sure if anyone looked in here or not, but wanted to try and see if I could have a question or two answered if anyone checks here. Been reading over the plat forums and it definitely sounds like something that would probably be a much better fit for me than prime. However, have a few questions.

1. I know in the past one had to start over again when joining plat. Is this still the case? This right now is the biggest con I have about moving over. Am very attached to my character. He is weak...under circle 40. Starting over again is just not something I'm willing to do at this point.

2. Healing? Do the npc empaths heal people completely in plat? If no player empaths are available?

3. Scripting? Is scripting completely banned from plat? I ask because I do have some scripts that I do use to help me with some of the repetitive tasks. Like foraging, or juggling, ect. Also it helps because I just simply could not type as much as needed in the game without the aid of a script. Disarming boxes comes to mind for this one. I know the penalties are much more robust in plat. And am concerned, would not want to do anything that would be against the policies in place in plat.

Thanks for taking the time to read and/or respond.

8)
Re: Quick Questions... 04/05/2010 10:30 PM CDT
1) Yes, you have to start over

2) Doubt it - NPC empaths are probably the same there as in prime, but I've never tested

3) No, you can script as much as you want as long as you stay responsive.

We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
Re: Quick Questions... 04/05/2010 11:47 PM CDT
Thanks for taking the time to reply and answering my questions. Much obliged.

8)
Re: Quick Questions... 04/05/2010 11:51 PM CDT
1. yes, you do have to start over. but you still keep the character you have in prime <in prime>. your plat character has the benefit of knowing what you did wrong, and correcting it. Plus you have a whole bunch of character slots to fool around with til you find the right fit. And really, it doesn't take that long. learning rates are much easier than they used to be.

2. NPC empaths heal same as in prime. <in other words, terribly>. you'll still have to run to dokt rather than the martyr in crossing for example. you might want to play it safe and not hunt beyond your skills for a bit. And people here do learn to forage, steal, or otherwise deal with lack of empaths if you play at certain times. <although if you go necro, you won't have to worry about empaths healing you beyond a certain point. :-)>

3. scripting is permitted as long as you aren't afk.

We just "switched over" to the gweth system in addition to chatter <turn chatter on, its for OOC, and gweths are for IC communication>, but gweths are global here. and universal, so you just need a J or a K gweth, not both, and you hear them in every province.

Out of curiosity, did you make everyone stop trying to kill Lyras so you could go try to kill Book?

Re: Quick Questions... 04/06/2010 02:45 AM CDT
>2. NPC empaths heal same as in prime. <in other words, terribly>. you'll still have to run to dokt rather than the martyr in crossing for example.

That being said, in plat I've also been completely healed by npc empaths in Leth, Hib, Shard (though one's notoriously slow), Ratha, Aesry, and Riverhaven. I haven't hunted everywhere yet and I don't carry herbs around with me.

~Faih
Re: Quick Questions... 04/06/2010 03:29 AM CDT
As far as I can remember, there are only 2 exceptions for the NPC empaths. Kaeva(?) and Martyr in crossing who are fast but don't heal everything. And Fraethis in haven who won't heal eye wounds. The rest will heal everything unless you used herbs to heal before going to see them. They don't heal scars left by herbs if I remember correctly. I don't use herbs anymore though.
Re: Quick Questions... 04/06/2010 06:32 AM CDT
>>1) Yes, you have to start over

Seriously? If you cancel your account for a little while you have to start all over? That's the lamest thing i've ever heard.
Re: Quick Questions... 04/06/2010 06:33 AM CDT
Oh and the autopath in Knife clan will heal scars.
Re: Quick Questions... 04/06/2010 06:35 AM CDT
wtb global gweth system, stat.

- Mazrian

The Flying Company

The Public Stat Data Project
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkqoUyrmvlKNdGlpeHZacEdldi1Ob2h3M1I5TXpCZVE&hl=en

Re: Quick Questions... 04/06/2010 07:08 AM CDT
>Seriously? If you cancel your account for a little while you have to start all over? That's the lamest thing i've ever heard.

Indeed that would be a horrible thing, and isn't the case. The comment was that you can't bring your Prime or TF character over, you have to start from a fresh "pool" of character slots.

-Dihm
Re: Quick Questions... 04/06/2010 07:08 AM CDT
no, if you already started a character in plat <i.e. in one of the "free" trials> you can renew your subscription and continue that character where you left off. You cannot transfer a character from prime to plat though.

Out of curiosity, did you make everyone stop trying to kill Lyras so you could go try to kill Book?

Re: Quick Questions... 04/06/2010 07:49 AM CDT
Oh, ok. That makes more sense. Don't mind me, I've been up all night.
Re: Quick Questions... 04/06/2010 12:53 PM CDT
Thank you all for your informative answers and help.

8)
Re: Quick Questions... 04/06/2010 04:46 PM CDT
I'd like to take a moment and add my thoughts to what has already been posted.

>>1. I know in the past one had to start over again when joining plat. Is this still the case? This right now is the biggest con I have about moving over. Am very attached to my character. He is weak...under circle 40. Starting over again is just not something I'm willing to do at this point.<<

This is still the case, you must start a fresh character in Plat if you choose to join but will retain your Prime character and still have access to him/her and have additional characters slots to play in Plat as was already mentioned. Honestly, for me this was the greatest draw to Plat along with not having to compete with people for hunting areas. I know several players who have been in Plat for a long time now who have started brand new characters. One of them has his already past 50th and the other is not far from it. Circling is not nearly as difficult as it once was. Teaching can be a hinderance but it too can be overcome, it will simply limit your time out of Crossing since that is mostly where the classes are. It is also possible to apprentice yourself to one of the older characters and receive training and possibly some equipment to begin. I know the idea of starting over, completely over, is a difficult one to face. It is probably why I have not really ever played in any of the other guilds and dedicated myself to just the one. Do understand that most of us will go out of our way to help anyone who is serious about playing and remaining in Plat. You must, however, shed any preconceived notions about the environment. You need to come at this with a new perspective than whatever you currently think of Plat. I say this because most people who come here seem to be disappointed because their expectations were higher than what the world delivered.

I know what the website says about Plat and I don't discount that most of it is right but inevitably, everytime someone joins, they complain about the lack of population, the lack of events, lack of teaching/classes, etc.. I will go ahead and let you know, we DO have a small population and if you cannot handle that, Plat is probably not the right place for you. I consider Plat vs Prime similar to Necro vs OtherGuilds. Plat is more difficult for a variety of reasons, some have to do with empath availability, the feeling of loneliness, not having access to the same loot/powers/ranks/etc as you do in Prime. All of these can be overcome but only if the mindset is there to do so. There will be challenges and disappointments and if you can get past those, Plat will be a great adventure.

>>2. Healing? Do the npc empaths heal people completely in plat? If no player empaths are available?<<

I think this has already been answered but I will also say that there are several PC empaths who are usually playing and more than willing to help out with someone being hurt. Travel may sometimes be required to get to them.

>>3. Scripting? Is scripting completely banned from plat? I ask because I do have some scripts that I do use to help me with some of the repetitive tasks. Like foraging, or juggling, ect. Also it helps because I just simply could not type as much as needed in the game without the aid of a script. Disarming boxes comes to mind for this one. I know the penalties are much more robust in plat. And am concerned, would not want to do anything that would be against the policies in place in plat.<<

Plat follows the same scripting policy as Prime. The punishments used to be more severe in Plat but I'm not sure if this was re-instituted when the punishments changed from lock out to skill/stat decreases. As long as you are present at the keyboard and responsive to the environment, scripts are not an issue.

If you should think up any other questions my AIM is DamianDR, feel free to use it as you need it.

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Quick Questions... 04/07/2010 12:39 AM CDT
>>On PC Epmathic healing:

Also the abundance of pesonal transportation jewelry, or "jumpy jewelry", makes it far more likely that an Empaty can come to you even in remote locations, given the proper moon is up.

>>On atarting over:

Keep in mind that due to the unique nature of Plat, the average circle is lower. For instance, 40th cirlce would not be considered -that- weak. It would be more middle of the spread.

~Talo, Prydaen Barbarian~
Re: Quick Questions... 04/07/2010 06:42 AM CDT
>I think this has already been answered but I will also say that there are several PC empaths who are usually playing and more than willing to help out with someone being hurt. Travel may sometimes be required to get to them.

To add to this, those of us that actively play Empaths are quite willing to travel as well. Sometimes the moons aren't favorable for the jump jewelry or we don't have one or more set for anywhere in P5 or every island out there. One Empath is crazy enough to call Forfedhdar home although he travels a lot too.

>wtb global gweth system, stat.

>- Mazrian

That's what replaced CHAT when it was moved to OOC. Gweths and albredine rings are now global for us for IC use.

Asbhuan
Re: Quick Questions... 04/07/2010 07:09 PM CDT
Again,

Thank you all for your very helpful posts. My questions have certainly been answered. Should I think of any more questions, is nice to know I can feel comfortable asking them and having them addressed here. Will also keep in mind your IM name Damian.

8)