Is platinum for me? 08/13/2016 12:58 PM CDT
I've been contemplating going back on premium, and seeing that platinum is not that far off in price, I have a few questions:

1) What is the population like? Single digits, double digits, or can it still reach three digits?

Are there clustered "local cultures" like in prime where Zoluren is where all the drama happens, Shard is where all the cliques hang out, Islands and Therengia generally more friendly environment, etc.? (Some of my impressions on prime may be based on 8-10 years ago)

2) What's the circle disparity/distribution like?

3) What are invasions/events like? Are they all flex monsters or with set skills?

4) What's the atmosphere like in practice, having both access to chatter and gweths?

5) If I just wanted to train skills, especially on weekdays, will this pose a problem?

6) What's the actual RP expectations?

I don't consider myself a great roleplayer, but I'm certainly miles or lightyears ahead of "pigeons" or "Great timing for that invasion when we forget our spells" or "I woke up recently after a long sleep" "What is this fog? Is anyone else experiencing fog?" "There are no gods awake right now". I know how to make total separation of OOC and IC, and far more natural euphemisms rather than word-substitutions if needed.

That said, I actually legit went deer-in-headlights when my character got snatched by Iszanua, as I don't usually have a clear personality/stances formulated in my mind. When playing with my D&D group I'm also generally much better at writing than being put on the spot for RP.

7) Is it presumptuous to expect "co-op mode" being more of a thing in Platinum? I don't care about "cred" in DR, DR just isn't my go to game for "competitive" play. I have FPS or MOBAs for that.

8) Similar question to #7: What is the social interaction and overall atmosphere like?

I've been really over "snert" behavior. By that I mean, for example, I recently returned to the game with a new character. Someone was nonresponsive but technically gained consent on me (I don't really know, or care to figure out technicalities of consent). About half an hour later, without saying anything, still in the same room, he attacks and kills me, still without saying anything.

I just don't really appreciate people power trip over an OOC policy that they technically have consent when there is no in-character reason for one to kill over the interaction, or lack of. If he wanted to roleplay the cold lone wolf that's fine, but there's no dialogue, no expression objection, just afk half an hour and start killing.

I'm not posing a rhetorical question, just making sure I am not creating assumptions or having wrong expectations from platinum.

9) If I'm logged in to plat, I cannot log-in to any other character per normal, even though they are different instances, correct?
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/13/2016 01:17 PM CDT
>>1) What is the population like? Single digits, double digits, or can it still reach three digits?

Single digits with double digits during things like auctions, but more in the teens than anything else.

>>Are there clustered "local cultures" like in prime where Zoluren is where all the drama happens, Shard is where all the cliques hang out, Islands and Therengia generally more friendly environment, etc.? (Some of my impressions on prime may be based on 8-10 years ago)

Everyone tends to talk (OOC) on chatter. For day to day stuff, unless I'm at Fang Cove or Crossing, my character wouldn't run into anyone.

>>2) What's the circle disparity/distribution like?

1-150ish

>>3) What are invasions/events like? Are they all flex monsters or with set skills?

Sometimes they're flex, sometimes they're not. The population is small enough that GMs can be responsive to who is participating.

>>4) What's the atmosphere like in practice, having both access to chatter and gweths?

I love chatter. I think it helps reinforce the community. That said, over the years I've noticed it becomes a bit of a crutch. From my own experiences, I'll OOC-chatter "Hey, there's a treasure golem by the darkbox" before I ICly gweth it. That said, it's useful for people who play characters that might not get along but do want to keep each other informed.

>>5) If I just wanted to train skills, especially on weekdays, will this pose a problem?

Absolutely not. Most people are training more than they're roleplaying. Go figure. I chalk this up mostly to the fact that GMs have been very busy/thinly spread lately and there aren't many storylines to bring our characters together.

>>6) What's the actual RP expectations?

Don't be an idiot pretty much sums it up.

>>7) Is it presumptuous to expect "co-op mode" being more of a thing in Platinum? I don't care about "cred" in DR, DR just isn't my go to game for "competitive" play. I have FPS or MOBAs for that.

The gross majority of players want each other to succeed. We're generally don't step over each other in order to accomplish our goals. Most things are very teamwork oriented.

>>8) Similar question to #7: What is the social interaction and overall atmosphere like?

The benefit of a small population is that it's hard to be an idiot unless you really want to play a solo game and ignore everything else. You can't be a bully and participate.

>>9) If I'm logged in to plat, I cannot log-in to any other character per normal, even though they are different instances, correct?

Correct. I honestly think you can't log into ANYTHING else on your account if you're already logged into something without kicking yourself out of that other thing. So it's not like you can play DR and GSIV on the same account at the same time, either.

Honestly, Plat's biggest negative right now is that there because we have few GMs in DR as a whole, we don't have active storylines, which personally helps me drive my character's development. So right now outside of pay-events there isn't much to do/roleplay. I feel like Plat's an instance that DEFINITELY needs GM management, just because it's not like the same two or three people can meet up to... whatever.

That said, I think it's worth checking out. I think you can get a 30 day trial for Plat, so it's not like there's a cost.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/13/2016 01:57 PM CDT
Anything you can do in plat you can do in prime. The reverse is not true. Prime holds equal (or greater) chance for role playing, interactions with other players, and events.

The only reason to play plat is if you want to be a big fish in a small pond. Bear in mind that plat has far fewer events overall, but typically they will involve most/all the players online at that time (since there will be 10 or so). It's not unusual to see 1-5 players online during non-peak hours. And you will still run into players AFK scripting.

Getting picked on in prime is pretty rare, and getting just instagibbed is even more rare. I'd say your experience so far is highly atypical for prime. There are some players who are bullies (not characters, players).

But then again, I can't recommend paying for premium status either.
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/13/2016 10:03 PM CDT
>>1) What is the population like? Single digits, double digits, or can it still reach three digits?

Uz pretty much covered this, teens is usually as good as it gets, tho we seem to have a bit of a resurgence currently. As far as keeping connected, chat does that for us, the circle disparity is huge between newer and older characters so we are all over the world. Chat really helps to glue us all back together again. Portals, jumpy jewelry, and boats also help keep us close in case of events etc. I've really enjoyed some of the events in Plat in the past both GM and player initiated. I would say that if you consider making the leap, i've never known a more helpful bunch of people in getting started, answering questions, and just general help. With that said, GM interaction is at an all time low currently since Naohhi stepped away so i would not come expecting much in the way of GM initiated stuff. You are however, welcome to start stuff and we will be happy to support.

>>2) What's the circle disparity/distribution like?

I'd say same as Uz 1-150+ but this will not hinder events as we all go out of our way to make sure during quests/events that everyone has the option to participate and with the current exp model there's no reason you can't hit 30th in a week or two and give you a bit more confidence

>>3) What are invasions/events like? Are they all flex monsters or with set skills?
see #2

>>4) What's the atmosphere like in practice, having both access to chatter and gweths?

I fall into the same trap as Uz and find myself chatting before or in place of gwething but it's just a habit to get back into, chatter has probably kept me playing for the long years i have been a platter

>>5) If I just wanted to train skills, especially on weekdays, will this pose a problem?

This is status quo, for the most part we all train

>>6) What's the actual RP expectations?

Uz nailed this one too, you have the option of playing a "baddie" but you'll want to stay out of the limelight, this is a benefit and a detriment of a small community, we talk to each other and stay informed. With that said however, your chances for rare mats, cool stuff, boats, etc are far greater in Plat than in Prime and once you've established your character you'll have the opportunity to obtain some of those things.

>>7) Is it presumptuous to expect "co-op mode" being more of a thing in Platinum? I don't care about "cred" in DR, DR just isn't my go to game for "competitive" play. I have FPS or MOBAs for that.

I really believe that this would work well provided you can find someone in the circle range who wants to tag along hunting/etc. I see this especially evident during quests/events when we try to make sure no one gets left behind. We are not always perfect however.

>>8) Similar question to #7: What is the social interaction and overall atmosphere like?

Jovial, i think the atmosphere in general is light and mostly amusing, we try to poke fun at each other IC and OOC and keep it entertaining. Given that we police ourselves for the most part, i don't think you have anything to worry about as it regards the incident you mentioned. For the most part we live and let live, at this point in time, we have a high number of active nekros, none of which have been outed IG and all of which have been very under the radar and we all play nice. I think we all understand what it takes to recover from a death in terms of exp and none of us want that. Vegas rules for quests btw

>>9) If I'm logged in to plat, I cannot log-in to any other character per normal, even though they are different instances, correct?

this is correct, either Plat or Prime not both

As Uz mentioned, you do have a 30 day trial you can utilize, come give it a shot. If you like a small community where you can find some amusing personalities and enjoy some banter, i think you'll like Plat.. That said, it's still numbers going higher and higher just keep that in mind.

>>Anything you can do in plat you can do in prime. The reverse is not true. Prime holds equal (or greater) chance for role playing, interactions with other players, and events.

I disagree with this statement in so many ways.. there is so much more opportunity that you will never have in Prime that you can have in Plat. Auctions, player to player interaction, impromptu alterations/titles, but it is dependent on you wanting to be involved, potentially you wanting to put time into starting your own story lines, etc. i can't tell you how wrong he is with this statement. what i would tell you is that i believe the majority of the population of (active) Plat no longer touches Prime, there's no competition for hunting areas, there's healthy competition for new craftswo/men and if his statement held true we'd all be back to playing Prime.

>>The only reason to play plat is if you want to be a big fish in a small pond. Bear in mind that plat has far fewer events overall, but typically they will involve most/all the players online at that time (since there will be 10 or so). It's not unusual to see 1-5 players online during non-peak hours. And you will still run into players AFK scripting.

i have stayed in Plat for the community which was created, that's probably the sole reason i have played for so many years. We do have fewer events which do usually involve everyone, because everyone generally joins when something is happening. I have not had the experience of running into AFK scripters in a very long time.

that and BADGOPHER is never happy ;) miss ya over in Plat! tho i've cut back on popcorn since you left ;)

Damian, a voice from the distant and long-forgotten past.
AIM:DamianDR
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/13/2016 10:44 PM CDT
1) Already answered.

Are there clustered "local cultures" like in prime where Zoluren is where all the drama happens, Shard is where all the cliques hang out, Islands and Therengia generally more friendly environment, etc.? There's not a lot of "local cultures," given there's usually about 1 player per province. You're most likely to run into someone in FC, though, since the portals are open all the time, and characters from everywhere can get there.

2) Already answered.

3) Already answered.

4) What's the atmosphere like in practice, having both access to chatter and gweths? If we remember there's something IC going on, we gweth, but I think most of us forget and use chatter most of the time, even though it's supposed to be entirely OOC. It's hard to run across even one other person most days, unless it's during some kind of special event (fest, invasion, quest, etc.)

5) If I just wanted to train skills, especially on weekdays, will this pose a problem? Not at all.

6) What's the actual RP expectations? Common sense, mostly. If it's something your character wouldn't know IC, don't talk about it. For example, most of us know (OOC) who the necromancers are, but they are good at hiding it IC, so I don't think any of them have been "outed" despite most of them being some of the highest circled characters. It does help if your character has a backstory and goals other than "get to X circle," so they will have motivation for their decisions when they do interact with someone, rather than trying to come up with something at the spur of the moment (which prevents that "deer in the headlights" feeling).

7) Is it presumptuous to expect "co-op mode" being more of a thing in Platinum? Co-op is more likely in Plat. There is a character or two who is less "friendly" and so there might be some tension there, but for the most part, it's very cooperative. As an example, we will gweth or chat that there is a treasure critter in the village at Taisidon, and if there are others there, we will wait to try to kill it until everyone who wants to shows up and gets a chance to attack it.

8) Similar question to #7: What is the social interaction and overall atmosphere like? Kind of empty, since it is a VERY small community, but with chat it really supportive. There may be characters who kill you without a word, but it will be for IC reasons, not just because of a technicality.

9) If I'm logged in to plat, I cannot log-in to any other character per normal, even though they are different instances, correct? Correct. You can only be logged into one character per account.

__
I'm Nobody. Who are you?
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/13/2016 11:11 PM CDT
I think Uzi and Damian did a decent job of responding to the initial questions.

The population IS low but that has both advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages tend to manifest in you spending a significant portion of your playing time on your own and there are fewer player-run events. The advantages, and why I think Badgopher is wrong when he says "Anything you can do in plat you can do in prime," manifest in your ability to participate in the events that do happen. For example, a low-level character can actually participate in auctions in Plat, whereas you'd either need to have farmed plats for decades or to purchase them to have a chance in Prime. The small population also allows you to play a meaningful role in the GM-run events (e.g., HE's storyline).

To me the low population is not a huge problem because DR's combat isn't particularly party friendly nor do you really need another PC around for the majority of the skills you might train. The global chatter/gweths keeps you feeling connected to the others no matter where you are in the world, even if the likelihood of randomly stumbling across another PC is relatively low. And even with the lower population you can find roleplaying opportunities if you look for them.

My advice is to try it. If you like it then that's awesome. If not then head over to Prime and never look back.

[18:14] Chatter[Raesh] >perc nature
[18:15] Chatter[Raesh] You sense you should just howl.
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/13/2016 11:58 PM CDT
>For example, a low-level character can actually participate in auctions in Plat, whereas you'd either need to have farmed plats for decades or to purchase them to have a chance in Prime.

To me, this was encapsulated in the 'big fish small pond' statement. If you show up, you'll 'win' something. After a while it becomes less of a special thing and more of a 'ok, I'll bid on this widget so that it gets sold and then give it to someone or dump it in a basket'.

>The small population also allows you to play a meaningful role in the GM-run events (e.g., HE's storyline).

I guess 'meaningful' is an arguable term, but honestly I never felt like I was. The events always felt like they were on greased rails.

>The global chatter/gweths keeps you feeling connected to the others no matter where you are in the world

Completely agreed. Chatter being a global OOC channel was wonderful at knitting the community together. Plus there was a chat room for non-simu appropriate conversation (with bad words! and dirty jokes! and PG13 implications!).

>My advice is to try it. If you like it then that's awesome. If not then head over to Prime and never look back.

This is still good advice. I'm playing counter point as someone who played in plat for 5+ years. You should be able to get a 30 day trial, and if you're freshly returned to the game you don't have anything (i.e. high level characters) to lose, so give it a try.

Personally I do miss the community in plat, but I don't really miss how management handles the environment as a whole. I'd love to play if it was only 20$ a month instead of 50.
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/14/2016 12:27 AM CDT
>>The global chatter/gweths keeps you feeling connected to the others no matter where you are in the world

>>Completely agreed. Chatter being a global OOC channel was wonderful at knitting the community together. Plus there was a chat room for non-simu appropriate conversation (with bad words! and dirty jokes! and PG13 implications!).

This is soooo why I wish this was a part of prime...
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/14/2016 01:50 AM CDT
>>This is soooo why I wish this was a part of prime...

Chatter as it stands is great for a group of almost ten at max, when everyone is having the same conversation. I can't see how it could sustain itself/be functional when dozens (or possibly hundreds) of people are talking at once.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/14/2016 02:32 AM CDT

>>Chatter as it stands is great for a group of almost ten at max, when everyone is having the same conversation. I can't see how it could sustain itself/be functional when dozens (or possibly hundreds) of people are talking at once.

Works pretty well in every online game I have ever played.
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/14/2016 06:57 AM CDT
>>Works pretty well in every online game I have ever played.

I'm assuming every other online game has channels. This discussion took place tons of times already.

Re: Is platinum for me? 08/14/2016 09:16 AM CDT
I've never played Plat, but every single answer given for plat also applies to TF, minus the GM interaction. Small population, helpful population, and chatter to tie it all together.
Re: Is platinum for me? ::NUDGE:: 08/14/2016 09:30 AM CDT

Chatter discussion and Prime - ends here.

Thank you.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Is platinum for me? 08/14/2016 09:48 AM CDT
>>I've never played Plat, but every single answer given for plat also applies to TF, minus the GM interaction. Small population, helpful population, and chatter to tie it all together.

As someone who played both I agree completely. Plat is pretty much TF but with an AFK scripting policy and the expectation of GM involvement.