Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 03:20 PM CDT

I was wondering, what is the basic difference between the two different types of account? (besides the cost) I am not sure which one I should upgrade to. Any information or help would be great. Thank you.
Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 03:24 PM CDT
Premium is still the DR Prime instance where you are playing now (I assume), but with various advantages (hunting grounds, type ahead lines, etc, many more)

Platinum is an entirely different instance server, so you would need to start a new character. One main purpose of playing on the Platinum server is that RP is much more prevalent

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 03:24 PM CDT
The only time's I've ever upgraded to Platinum is when I wanted LTB's faster.

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 03:25 PM CDT
Plat gives you everything premium does, but also gives you double monthly LTB, and gives you access to the Plat, TF, and I think test servers (when they're up and open).

If you don't want to play the plat instance, and don't want to earn double LTB points, then there's no reason to go plat.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 03:27 PM CDT
>>If you don't want to play the plat instance, and don't want to earn double LTB points, then there's no reason to go plat.

Eh, I dunno about that. You also get access to inside information as far as certain releases go if you're Plat since they will sometimes release stuff over there weeks in advance before Prime :P

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 03:27 PM CDT
>Platinum is an entirely different instance server, so you would need to start a new character. One main purpose of playing on the Platinum server is that RP is much more prevalent

Double post, but just because I don't think anyone has been clear: you are not somehow forced to play on the plat instance/server if you have a plat account, you can still play prime just like normal. There's just not a lot of value in paying for the plat access and not using it.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 07:09 PM CDT
Long, and I possibly missed things, but here you go...

Immediate AdvantagesThese are things that are pretty much going to be around forever
100 extra LTBs a monthSelf explanatory!
Jump JewelryCheap magical devices sold in Throne City that can teleport you to most cities, if the right moon is up and it has charges (moon mages can recharge). There are also blank versions that a Moon Mage can set to a specific location/random moon (there's also a tool that can do this, but I don't think they're available anymore)
Free vault transfersFeel free to drag all your stuff with you when you jump around, transfers are free!
Free vaultsPlus, the vault rental fee is waived, too!
Bigger initial vault sizeAll vaults start out at 250. That does mean you won't see an increase until 4 years, though. But...
More charactersIs the 16 characters from Premium not enough? Platinum tosses another dozen on top of that. So it's not like you'll ever be at a loss of storage space if you use mules
50% Pay Quest DiscountPaid quests are 50% off.
HE DiscountHE tickets are normally like $40 with $10 per additional character (I think, right?). I forget what Prime's admit all costs, but HE for Plat is a flat $30 admit all ticket.
Hunting areas always availableGenerally you're the only one there, so whatever room you want is yours.
Even earlier releases than PremiumGet to test out stuff before it even reaches Premium people. This doesn't always happen, but for most stuff it does. The only exception is when there's no one in Plat who can really test something out and they need a bigger base for testing (tailoring shields is an example of when Prime tested earlier, but Plat tested forging earlier).
Test server accessWhile you can get access to this as a Community Leader, you automatically get access with a Plat account.
J and K gweth dropsThey drop enough that you'll probably never be in a need of gweths. Plus, Plat has donation baskets in each province that people tend to leave them in, so you'll never be at a loss for them as long as the community keeps doing what they do.
Global GwethsGweths are worldwide.
ChatterIf you want to just have OOC discussions while hunting, chatter is there for you. TF gets this too. Speaking of TF...
Free TF accountIf you want it it's there, too.

Fluid AdvantagesThese are things that kinda change over time, since they rely on outside factors
Better raffle chancesTired of seeing Estate Holder Raffles with dozens of people in the room? We sometimes have raffles with only five people around! Of course, more people show up, your chances get lowered, but even dealing with 1:12 chance is better than what prime generally offers
Better auction chancesPlat community isn't that cutthroat about most stuff. If you're bidding on something you really want, most people won't bid just for the sake of winning it. We're polite that way. Of course, this depends on if you get along with people enough that they're willing to continue being polite about this stuff, and if they really don't want it themselves after all.
Fewer people at RP eventsDon't want to deal with crowds at events? Dislike seeing the circle 150 power through the grass eel invasion? Don't want two dozen people asking a GMNPC the same question you were going to ask? Great! A smaller group of people at the events helps facilitate your character not getting lost in the crowd. Of course, only having three people show up might also be an issue at times. Of if a GM doesn't think they have a good audience for an event, they might not run it there at all. It's a thing.
More personalized RP experienceNot counting the stuff the GMs themselves planned out, they might also put time/effort into something that helps your storyline as well, as opposed to the game's storyline. Of course, once again, this means a GM is available and has an inclination to do so. But they do it at times!
GM accessSometimes a GM will might just jump onto chatter to discuss stuff. But it's not like there is an obligation for them to do so. But they do show up at times and you learn some interesting stuff about what's in development, ask for help testing something, etc
Non-Test-TestingGMs might sometimes ask a group of Plat players to test out a new pay quest (for free). Of course, that means you get to deal with bugs, errors, other wonkiness, and it's not like the end treasures might have passed QC by that point, too. But if you like testing stuff, this might be for you. But it's not like GMs have to do this, so I'm counting it as a fluid perk that can come and go.
Small communityPutting this here as a fluid thing, since if you're a jerk no one is going to do you any favors, but most people are never at a loss of support from other players. If you play your character well, people will want to make sure you're not at a loss to continue doing so. Of course, if you act like an idiot, you're more likely to get ostracized even faster, since it'll be much faster until you run out of people who give you chances. That's the main reason why I'm putting it as something that isn't an "always" thing: you're not guaranteed players giving you the time of day. It just takes a lot of work for that not to be the case.

Long Term AdvantagesThese are things that are static, but don't happen immediately
5 year portalsJump Jewelry too much work for you? After 5 years you can enter a portal that can take you to pretty much any city, any time, without having to worry about which moons are up

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 07:27 PM CDT
Oh, and just to add to the Plat auction benefit... there have been times where a GMs asked ahead of time what kind of stuff players wanted to bid on. Not that they're under any obligation to provide it, but if they see a high demand for S'kra mount and low demand for a Gnome mount (goat, right?), they might decide to swap what they planned to provide at the auction if it was one of the things they weren't going to premiere at the auction.

Don't expect the GMs to throw T'kashi weapons and boats all over the place, but if GMs see a desire for cool cloth armor as opposed to cool plate armor, it might happen.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 07:36 PM CDT
Tev/PB/Uz, you might want to edit your tables, it's a bit dishonest; many of those advantages are specific to the plat instance, and only apply if you are going to play there, and the user seemed to be debating subscription levels in prime. That's why I didn't discuss any of them. I didn't mean to imply there aren't advantages inside plat, but the primary difference between Premium and plat access levels are...the latter gives 100 extra LTBs and access to plat/tf/test.

Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 07:42 PM CDT
I figured it was given that I was talking about stuff that mattered mostly in the Plat instance, hah.

Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 07:43 PM CDT
<<many of those advantages are specific to the plat instance, and only apply if you are going to play there>>

I think the large vault space and extra char slots is in all instances not just plat.

Yamcer

"You know, while I understand the importance of seeing the (personal) validity in other's arguments, it's impossible for me to believe fully that others are correct. If their argument was correct, I'd change mine." - My GF
Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 07:47 PM CDT
>>I think the large vault space and extra char slots is in all instances not just plat.

Not sure about vault space, but character slots are plat-specific.

I have 3 characters made in Prime, and 13 slots available.
I have 12 characters made in Plat (go mules and guys made just for 10 seconds of entertainment), and 14 slots available

Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 08:27 PM CDT
>Free vault transfers

Pretty sure this is a Premium benefit, as well. So it's not really a difference between Premium and Platinum.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Premium vs Platinum 06/09/2012 08:34 PM CDT
>>Pretty sure this is a Premium benefit, as well. So it's not really a difference between Premium and Platinum.

It's been a year or so since I played Prime, so it's possible I just forgot it was a Premium benefit. I know I started using it a lot once I started using Jump Jewelry, which is why it came to mind.

The free vaults thing is Plat only, though!

Plat Question 07/07/2012 08:12 AM CDT

Is plat $49.95 total, or $49.95 plus $14.95?
Re: Plat Question 07/07/2012 08:14 AM CDT
49.45. Total. and with that you get plat, prime and TF.

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius
Re: Plat Question 07/07/2012 08:59 AM CDT
>>49.45. Total. and with that you get plat, prime and TF.<<

But... you can only have one character logged in at one time in one instance per account. Some people get confused on this point.

I played TF primarily for years and then came back to prime while I was ATK, and switched over to TF when I was AFK. I imagine you could do something similar and play Plat while AFK and TF while ATK.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Plat Question 07/07/2012 12:01 PM CDT
<<I imagine you could do something similar and play Plat while AFK and TF while ATK>>

err, reverse that, elvis!

/---
Oh and last one, DR at any given time has a population of weenies that will criticize at the drop of a hat, don't take things personally it happens to everyone.
Leucius