Ignore Thread idea 05/01/2003 03:02 PM CDT
Any chance of seeing this? Would really be nice to be able to ignore a thread you have no intrest in, but has enough responses to potentially hide a worthwhile post.
Re: Ignore Thread idea 05/01/2003 03:48 PM CDT
Unfortunately, I don't think we track "threads" per se...so I'm not sure this would be possible.

I'll leave it to the Message Board gods to confirm though. :)

Solomon

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Ignore Thread idea 05/03/2003 11:25 AM CDT
On another post a while back, not sure what board at all, but Andy (the Website Gutu for Simu) has said how this would be impossible due to the way the Forums are made, and if a method like this were implimented (it would be possible just a bit hard) if it were implimented it would tax the system resources of Simu and make Forum/Web-Browsing from simu's servers nearly impossible (read really slow).

And besides the taxing affect, think about this...Simu would then have to check if something is part of a thread, then check if that particular thread was ignored by you (potentially thousands of ignore's since a thread can be responded to months from its start) along with any ignores for author...just could turn out to be a pain for Simu's system and in-turn causing game crashes (maybe, not sure if Andy said this)

but until Andy says anything consider Solomon's word the official, mine the second hand official.

~Callek, Treasurer of the Order of the Apostles

Disclaimer I in no way represent or claim to be a member of nor represent any part of the Simutronics (play.net) staff/or GameMasters. I am also not affiliated with any of their sponsors.

Care to learn more about the Apostles, interested in joining, or simply want to find a way to contact me?
Visit: http://drapostles.hypermart.net/index.html
Re: Ignore Thread idea 05/03/2003 04:26 PM CDT
I still say it would be simpler to simply add an Ignore Thread link that, instead of working like Ignore Author, took a different tack.

Instead, it searches the page that is already open, looks for posts that have the exact same subject line, and performs a click() on the link already built in to collapse the post. Of course, it would be even easier if, when the posts are generated, they were each assigned a unique number based on thread ... when a post is created using the Reply link, simply give it the same ID as the post being replied to. If any changes are made to the subject line during the process (keep it stired in the background for comparison when the Post link is clicked) then a new ID is assigned. Then the Ignore Thread (more appropriate name might be Collapse Thread) link is clicked, the function merely checks thread ID's, which would likely be quicker and more efficient.

Just a thought.

~~~Krin
Re: Ignore Thread idea 05/04/2003 11:29 AM CDT
likely not quicker when 100's of people view the boards at a time, each with 30-40 posts loading at a time (I load 30) so the boards have to look up the ID for EACH post and send it to the message parser...then perform needed calcs...not exactly the cleanest way to run things...

Sometimes the easy way to do stuff when low user number, is not even close to the easy way for large volumes.

~Callek, Treasurer of the Order of the Apostles

Care to learn more about the Apostles, interested in joining, or simply want to find a way to contact me?
Visit: http://drapostles.hypermart.net/index.html