Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 12:21 PM CST
Finally, we will be putting the 'Realms' into DragonRealms! :)
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 01:42 PM CST
Ya know, even though Solomon says this stuff, I think it's a bad idea to have the game named Realms.

Ecoles
"Embraced by Tenemlor"
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 02:31 PM CST

Hey about about a few dragons in the next war? Would be fun, maybe they are a weaker dragon breed. Would be fun to deal with a critter like that. Just a thought.

Ibec
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 02:49 PM CST
<<Hey about about a few dragons in the next war?>>

Yea I would love to see some people enveloped in flames running around before they crumbel to ground.

I laughed and laughed during the greater fist eruptions back with that mul-What-it WM dude. DOn't remember his proper name but I do remember lava balls or whatever landing all over and flamming people running around. Man that was a hoot!

Soim of the Locksmith Union
AKA: Shadow Judge
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 03:07 PM CST
yeah, that was Migbluc or something like that.

This doesn't look like a good place to finger-waggle.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 03:54 PM CST
>>Anyone wonder...
>>Why it's called "DragonRealms", when...
>>Something is missing?

>Erm... could it be because Lanival was referred to as the "Dragon" and he was the one that formed the 5 >provinces? ::hums innocently::

I allways thought that pretty much covered it, myself.

Though, one must admit, even the Gaurdians sound a little more 'active' than anyone has seen. And hey, if Solomon couldn't think up hokey taglines, nothing would ever get done at Simu.

-Robert

"Glacis is best known for saving the life of Lanival the Redeemer. He is likely to have inspired Lanival's plan to reforge the broken Empire, and that association is why the Five Provinces we know today are sometimes referred to as the Dragon's Realms."
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 04:15 PM CST

I put this in in the Response to GM folder, but I'll put it here too.
Last time Crossing got visited by a Dragon she got us all bent out of shape, then laughed at us and left.
Dragons are evil, at least the females ones. (Go figure)

Malign, scorned by Dragons.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 04:58 PM CST
We'll be getting dragon elemantles that breathe blackfire and shoot enchanted broadswords out of their eyes. <takes frogspawn's thunder>

Steel.

"And if things don't change i am quitx0ring and taking all of my 47 premie friends with me..." -Realmswalker Dragonseekr, being sarcastic in The Best Post Evar.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 05:11 PM CST
New guild + katanas + dragons = Ninja Dragons and Samurai Riders and No they wont let Pureblade join
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 06:13 PM CST
The Dragons have all been hiding under the mountains of Forfedhdar. They sneak out at night and keep the passes blocked.

Player of Cloudcrest
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 09:11 PM CST
(A) There is a dragon already in DR, anyone can see it...its frozen though, up near Stone Clan, down in the Beissworm area.

(B) I hope has nothing to do with the Gorbesh Forts that Grishnok is takin over for the "Angry People" Would hate to see the DP's finally wake a/the Dragon

~Callek, Treasurer of the Order of the Apostles

Care to learn more about the Apostles, interested in joining, or simply want to find a way to contact me?
Visit: http://drapostles.hypermart.net/index.html
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/06/2003 11:48 PM CST
>>(A) There is a dragon already in DR, anyone can see it...its frozen though, up near Stone Clan, down in the Beissworm area.

Judging by the descriptions I remember of that, I've always thought it was a full grown version of whatever beisswurms are babies for. Definitely huge and toothy, but not necessarily a dragon.

Although if you want to be technical, angiswaerd means 'snake-dragon' so we've got some there.

- Shavay Silvamon, Heritage Monographs (freelance)

And then Trogdor smote the Kerreck, and all was laid to burnination.

See the upcoming Bardic Enchantes at http://members.aol.com/gangrelmgk/enchantes/new_enchantes.htm
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 06:19 AM CST
<<There is a dragon already in DR, anyone can see it...its frozen though, up near Stone Clan, down in the Beissworm area.

The creature is most likely a 'biter'. A creature that has been the bane of at least one Dwarven community. I doubt it's a true dragon.

Player of Cloudcrest
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 06:56 AM CST
Ahh, actually Sol, old boy, ahh, you may have forgotten... A baby dragon DID land in Arthe Dale a few years back and was killed by a mass of bloodthirsty hunters. Presumably, it mama is around somewhere.... and hopefully did not find out who did the killing.

Wulfcat
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 09:09 AM CST
I always wondered why we called it "gonre"....not so much interested in why we use the "Dra" or "alms".

Dark angel Crusinix

You see a Phat Colt .45 staff. It's covered in bling bling and is doped out fa real, G. You're like..."damn".

Read: Crusi ownz ya dawg.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 10:02 AM CST
Well, dragons have been in DR several times.

One of Ceta's fondest memories and most special days is the day she met a dragon face to face. Yygis was his name, and he had the loveliest multicolored scales (though my spelling may be off, it's been a lot of years). The poor dear had somehow managed to stuff himself into the empaths sitting room, and injured his wings in the process. I know I can't be the only one who remembers that day. That same dragon made several appearances around Crossing area that month. Was a whole lot of fun. And I think most people treated the rp opportunity as they should have, and nearly all were respectful and awestruck.

Of course, it was a different land way back then, I imagine if one showed up now, people would try and kill it. Sad.

Looking forward to the new RP opportunities that this hint seems to imply though.

~player of Cetacea

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 10:18 AM CST
Along those lines, Cet, do you recall the time a guardian wandered out of its chasm and folks opened a moongate to help it get back? I wonder how fast it would die today?

Wulfcat
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 10:36 AM CST
<<Along those lines, Cet, do you recall the time a guardian wandered out of its chasm and folks opened a moongate to help it get back? I wonder how fast it would die today?--Wulfcat>>

I wonder why people alter their entire RPing frame of mind when they know there is a GM around. I mean you kill guardians only in the chasm, and give them milk, cookies and moongates everywhere else? Nice consistency there.

starkad

P.S. My personal favorite is the gargoyle that people talked into commiting suicide since there was no way it could triumph over all the hunters.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 10:38 AM CST
It's been like that forever. I remember when the L'karm incident happened in Leth. There was a goblin messenger that was trying to speak with us and asked us not to harm it. Everyone just mawled it so that they could get his pouch cause they thought it looked cool. We'll never know what he had to say...
Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (moongate surfing) 03/07/2003 10:40 AM CST
>Along those lines, Cet, do you recall the time a guardian wandered out of its chasm and folks opened a moongate to help it get back? I wonder how fast it would die today?

Will critters use moongates?

Funny story, a MM friend and I use to ride the currents from the seerah wreck to port walk via moongate. We kept trying to find la'heke in a water room to see if they wash out with us .. we never got that done, but had a blast, and a lotta laughs trying. We surprised more than one person with our surfing. <g>

-Slaris
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (moongate surfing) 03/07/2003 10:49 AM CST
>Will critters use moongates?

Heck yeah they will. Back when pirates invaded Mer'Kresh that's how they got to M'riss. They'd wait for us to open a moongate to gate out the dead and would rush thru and attack all the clerics and empaths. Was quite a nasty war that we had going on over there.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 11:01 AM CST
Yygis was a GM and that was just his "persona", much like Zanafrat was a Demon and Zakalwe (I think) was a Drake.

Seeing him around the game meant he was on duty answering assists. :)

Solomon

Vote for DragonRealms as the #1 MUD every day!

http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 11:10 AM CST
>>Yygis was a GM and that was just his "persona", much like Zanafrat was a Demon and Zakalwe (I think) was a Drake.

Wasn't Galiot a Drake? It's been so long. I remember seeing Rowan dressed up as a drunken reindeer. I still have nightmares...

- Shavay, et al.

See the upcoming Bardic Enchantes at http://members.aol.com/gangrelmgk/enchantes/new_enchantes.htm
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 11:28 AM CST
<<Wasn't Galiot a Drake? >>

You are correct, sir! It WAS Galiot! I knew it was one of them and I always got them confused. ::grin::

Solomon

Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 11:30 AM CST
By the way...

Yes I know that the "Dragon" in "DragonRealms" refers to Lanival.

However...It doesn't mean that the hint was so obscure or confusing that it wasn't obvious as to what I was talking about. Especially considering that I would think it was a safe bet that a large portion of the playing population doesn't know who (or what) a Lanival is (was). ;)

Solomon

Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 11:34 AM CST
<<Especially considering that I would think it was a safe bet that a large portion of the playing population doesn't know who (or what) a Lanival is (was). ;)

I would hope that it is not a large portion.

Sylvado

"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths."
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 11:40 AM CST
<<I would hope that it is not a large portion.>>

I think you would be surprised.

Solomon

Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 11:50 AM CST
Heck something like 1/2 or more of the RL population can't find countries on the map!

<<Especially considering that I would think it was a safe bet that a large portion of the playing population doesn't know who (or what) a Lanival is (was). ;)>>

He's the guy the 'togs are waiting for to return! I think he is a famous turnip farmer.

The player of Timargnon/Peperic
"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks." - Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 01:09 PM CST
Starked,
The consistancy is this, in the Chasm they attack you. Outside the chasm they do not attack and are obviously lost and looking for something. So, do you attack to defend you self or for the pleasure of the kill?

Wulfcat
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 01:18 PM CST
Uhm.. every time I've ever seen a rock guardian outside of it's normal habitat.. it still tried to attack and kill me. So yeh.. call attacking it first a conditioned response.

~Thesalonius
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 01:19 PM CST
>"Especially considering that I would think it was a safe bet that a large portion of the playing population doesn't know who (or what) a Lanival is (was). ;)"

You'd think Somebody would get curious eventually when his named is mentioned whenever they type 'info'.

I think it'd be a safer bet that almost the entire population of people who wouldn't know about Lanival don't read the boards, either. Considering the very small percentage of players who read the boards in the first place tend to be disproportionately higher level and have played longer.

-Robert

Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 01:23 PM CST
<<Starked, The consistancy is this, in the Chasm they attack you. Outside the chasm they do not attack and are obviously lost and looking for something. So, do you attack to defend you self or for the pleasure of the kill? --Wulfcat>>

I attack for both reasons. However, if I run into a Rock Guardian it is dying no matter where I am, or where it is. Plain and simple, I view them as an enemy. Same as I would view a Goblin messenger, for they are also my enemy. Unless it was a funny goblin messenger, then I may not kill it as I like to be amused.

Allowing yourself to change how you view critters due to OOC knowing that a GM is controlling the critter is weak RPing IMO. And my first reaction to critters is to attack them.

starkad
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 02:05 PM CST
over in plat a boggle was running around crossing and I didn't kill it--not because I knew a GM was behind it--but because I was playing an empath.

Besides, me and some other-Dwarf were the only ones in town at the time, everyone else was at the gate or elsewhere. ;-) So I figured i'd talk to it and see if it was lost.Turns out it was looking to go shopping for its family. And Fixer-tog had some nice things for it to wear. However, the kobold that was hanging out with it still attacked, so that I ran away from.

"kobold is having stones. Kobold must throw stones"
Dwarves know what stones are from mines. If stones are not money-stones, must run from stones.

Rayfuah

On the other hand, if any of my characters over there had enountered a rock guardian, none of them would have attacked it because those are beyond their skill.

This doesn't look like a good place to finger-waggle.
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 02:15 PM CST
Yeah and the kobold was killed! The log from the boggle event is hilarious.

The player of Timargnon/Peperic
"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding a cure for jerks." - Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 02:42 PM CST
<However...It doesn't mean that the hint was so obscure or confusing that it wasn't obvious as to what I was talking about. Especially considering that I would think it was a safe bet that a large portion of the playing population doesn't know who (or what) a Lanival is (was). ;)>

Umm, he makes those pipes, right?
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 04:34 PM CST
Those pipes are way too long!..., so they are really named after a real person.. hmmm. If he comes back, maybe he can shorten those pipes. <wink>
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 04:43 PM CST
Heh...Lanival is Elanthia's answer to Chong with those pipes. He's probably running a pipe and leaf shop out in Mer'kresh.

______Not a repair, a consolation for the marred world, but something deeper, closer to the true heart of things, fiercer, more dangerous and more beautiful, something that had never gone wrong to begin with...High Wizardry
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 04:46 PM CST
>>Especially considering that I would think it was a safe bet that a large portion of the playing population doesn't know who (or what) a Lanival is (was). ;)

Even a better reason to bring Lanival back, if so many are ignorant of the history of the game...

-pete
Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/07/2003 10:52 PM CST
>>I remember just before the "recent", in game, Teiro/Lanival war fluttered to an anti-climactic halt, we all got to buy [wicked] kewl dragon bone weapons and trinkets from a high circle mage who represented a dragon hunting company.
I also remember wishing that mage would come back a day or two later so that he could be sincerely thanked for the quality of his wares...

That was back when the Mirror Wraith Prophecy had first come out... I know it's design changed a few times over the years, since the people in charge of it kept changing and starting over, but I do remember all the Teiro/Elven-Human war mania back then. And that wasn't a mage selling the dragonbone stuff, it was a Slaver. He was a war profiteer trying to make a quick buck based on a short-lived fad. That's why you should only purchase goods from a duly licensed representative of the Trader's Guild. Caveat Emptor...

- Shavay Silvamon, Heritage Monographs (freelance)

Re: Did you ever wonder...Part 5 (7,5) (Forgot to post this yesterday 03/11/2003 11:16 AM CST
Without reading the other posts in this thread, I want to ask my question.

By what I get from this one, there may be an influx in dragons and a large decrease in rarity? Wouldn't more common dragons, being peoples pets and stuff, decrease the mystery and ferocious power that dragons represent? Besides... I believe that dragons are some of the most intelligent beigns that would be around, if they follow ANYTHING like the foundations that have been set in so many other books/games/etc, they would control their fates, control whether or not adventurers find them.

I wish I could find a post that was made in the neverwinter nights forums before the game was released. The game has nothing to do with this, but the post made about dragons was extremely well thought out and gave the dragons a sense of awe and power not seen anywhere else, and thats the way things should stay I say. If we start having dragon pets... dragon monsters to kill(aka nEverquest), and the mystery and power is eroded... whenever I hear the words 'dragon' i'm probably just going to yawn in boredom, cause it would be a commonplace thing.

This post probably made no sense. Thats what I get for not thinking it out and just writing what comes to mind!

Troubadour Raziaar