Automatic Forgebinding Item in Test 01/19/2019 12:45 PM CST
This particular item has been in process for about two and a half years, and is finally ready for you to bash on it. If everything goes to plan, and we don't find any major issues from your testing, we'll do an initial release at HotRF, with more opportunities in the future.

The automatic forgebinder attempts to determine a cosmetically superior and/or a mechanically superior item, and then transfer the the cosmetics of the cosmetically superior item to the mechanically superior item.

Some caveats: There are a few restrictions that are not present for a live forgebinder. The forgebinder should give you feedback on why it failed, if it does.

So, to do this: PUT two items in the forgebinder (they're canopic jars) and then SHAKE it.

While holding two items, you can SHOW one to the forgebinder to see if they are compatible. The forgebinder obviously doesn't need to be held for this process (who has three hands, anyway?). It can be at your feet via LOWER GROUND, or in a container, so you don't have to drop it. This is so you can test before buying.

At the moment, this is live in Test. You can buy them at TGN in The Crossing. There's an immobile one that you can test SHOW with at TGS.

Please let me know if you see any issues, or any items that shouldn't be forgebindable. I will be around for the next few hours to monitor chatter in Test, and replies to this post.

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Automatic Forgebinding Item in Test 01/19/2019 06:29 PM CST
Wow, a super neat surprise system release, very cool!

I've cycled through a number of weapon and armor items in test, mostly expected results but this one was disappointing:
* a storm grey shield in your right hand and a metal target shield in your left hand

Both of those are small size shields, with the noun (obviously) the same. The grey shield is an old-system tanned shield that was dyed, and the target shield was just the Crossing armory small shield.

The result was:
* The canopic jar cannot accept items that are different types of item.

So, was it because one is metal and one isn't? Or that they weren't both a "target shield" for the short noun? Or something else?

I guess I see this one as making many alteration transfers problematic, yea? Since often, an alterer will adjust a short TAP to be more representative of a new design. So if those short taps need to also match up, won't it prevent a lot of cosmetic transfers?

Anyhow, I'll poke around a bit with some clothing and containers as well, but overall, looks pretty neat when you don't have complicated or legacy items you want to have designs transferred from.

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"It is what makes the garden beautiful: Not every flower is the same." - Bill Murray
Re: Automatic Forgebinding Item in Test 01/19/2019 07:07 PM CST
And for those who want to help add data for the public use, the wiki page for this system is here:
https://elanthipedia.play.net/ForgeBinding#Automatic_Forgebinding

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
"It is what makes the garden beautiful: Not every flower is the same." - Bill Murray
Re: Automatic Forgebinding Item in Test 01/20/2019 01:11 PM CST
Looks like old forged weapons are indeed problematic.

I have a great puncture old glaes sabre. Plain old "sabre" with nothing else in the title, tap, etc. I tried to repaint it with a couple of fest sabres I bought back in the day and no bueno. That's too bad as I was looking forward to putting a bit more pizzazz on that plain old sabre.

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Automatic Forgebinding Item in Test 01/20/2019 01:47 PM CST
What was the error you were seeing with it?

Javac
That one guy

If you have questions or comments in regard to this post please email me at DR-JAVAC@play.net.
Re: Automatic Forgebinding Item in Test 01/20/2019 04:02 PM CST
Appraisal Fest Sabre:

A water-etched steel sabre with a leather-wrapped hilt is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.
A water-etched steel sabre with a leather-wrapped hilt trains the small edged skill.
You are certain that it could do:
moderate puncture damage
low slice damage
somewhat fair impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage
The steel sabre is dismally designed for improving the force of your attacks.
You are certain that the sabre is decently balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the steel sabre is of average construction, and is in pristine condition.
The steel sabre is made with metal.
You are certain that the steel sabre weighs exactly 29 stones.
You are certain that the steel sabre is worth exactly 10350 Kronars.

Appraisal old glaes forged sabre:

A sabre is a medium edged melee-ranged weapon.
A sabre trains the small edged skill.
You are certain that it could do:
great puncture damage
low slice damage
poor impact damage
no fire damage
no cold damage
no electric damage
The sabre is dismally designed for improving the force of your attacks.
You are certain that the sabre is well balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.
You are certain that the sabre is of average construction, and is in pristine condition.
The sabre is made with metal.
You are certain that the sabre weighs exactly 21 stones.
You are certain that the sabre is worth exactly 650 Kronars.

SHOW JAR:
The sabre and the steel sabre are not compatible with the canopic jar's magic.
[The canopic jar cannot cannot determine which item to repaint. The cosmetically superior item is also higher tier.]

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Automatic Forgebinding Item in Test 01/20/2019 04:13 PM CST
Sorry I missed you in Test, but I saw the glaes sabre on you and found another version of the fest sabre on someone else.

The issue is the old forged sabre has a LOOK, and the fest sabre does not. LOOK is considered the cosmetically best thing, and since the fest sabre only has a TAP the forged sabre is considered better cosmetically.

Javac
That one guy

Re: Automatic Forgebinding Item in Test 01/20/2019 04:30 PM CST
Okay cool. So if I find a sabre with a LOOK (or more) I should be able to use it to overwrite the forged sabre cosmetically?

Re: Automatic Forgebinding Item in Test 01/20/2019 06:54 PM CST
I wanted to follow up on something from the notes that were posted from test. At one point, someone was tinkering with pilgrim badges:
* <Player says>, "Works on pilgrim's badges, but wipes away all your visited shrines."
* Javac says to <player>, "Let me look into that."

Just in case it was overlooked, to transfer visited shrines from one badge to another, PUSH BADGE WITH OTHER BADGE. So, these may not need to be items that need to be "debugged" as a mechanic is already in place for when someone wants a new cosmetic upgrade to their badge?

~*~ Kythryn ~*~
Re: Automatic Forgebinding Item in Test 01/20/2019 08:49 PM CST
Is there anyway for the system to ask if particular attributes are more important to the player? IE You hear a voice in your head that tells you the jar feels that the tap on item X is best, the look on item Y is best, the stats on item X is best, the script on item Y is best and then builds the new item from that? ...and yes I just now realized that I'm pitching a ground up rewrite instead of a tweak... sorry.