New Burgle Change - Arrested for Item limit 07/25/2020 09:19 AM CDT
Hello,

this recent change I just saw posted a few days ago is ridiculous.
you get arrested if your item count is too close to your limit.... managing inventory is hard enough when in game tools don't give you an exact count.
so now we get arrested and fined for it..... another attack on players.
what's next ? arrested for carrying too much coin ? or for not repairing your armor and weapons ? not RP'ing or grouping enough ?

there is zero RP reason for this, other than to annoy F2P characters who are always fighting the 100 item limit.
And some paying accounts who have same problem because of fluff and bloated crafting system.
Re: New Burgle Change - Arrested for Item limit 07/25/2020 12:56 PM CDT
You do know that you only get arrested if you try burgling and have 10 or less open item slots so that you don't get sent into the junk yard from a randomly generated burgle room, right? This is more to avoid possible corruption. I guess it could just fail in that situation. But it really isn't that big of a deal and is a safety precaution.
Re: New Burgle Change - Arrested for Item limit 08/17/2020 11:52 PM CDT
>You do know that you only get arrested if you try burgling and have 10 or less open item slots so that you don't get sent into the junk yard from a randomly generated burgle room, right? This is more to avoid possible corruption. I guess it could just fail in that situation. But it really isn't that big of a deal and is a safety precaution.

Is arrest (an IC mechanic) logical for addressing item limit (an OOC mechanic)? The two simply should not be related. Clearly there needs to be a check on burglary to avoid character corruption, but why would arrest be involved?
Re: New Burgle Change - Arrested for Item limit 08/18/2020 12:44 PM CDT
>Is arrest (an IC mechanic) logical for addressing item limit (an OOC mechanic)? The two simply should not be related. Clearly there needs to be a check on burglary to avoid character corruption, but why would arrest be involved?

I've never tried breaking into a house while carrying 490 distinct items, but I can only assume it would be challenging.
The messaging as you near the inventory limit is fairly persistent and will be easily noticed unless you are not attentive to the game window.
I wonder what percentage of characters are professional burglars as an in-character decision. Mine didn't start until it became justified in its mind.

All that being said... I do agree that an arrest of the character in response to nearing the inventory limit is not the way I would have gone. But the system is otherwise pretty great all around, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of its high points to adjust that.
Re: New Burgle Change - Arrested for Item limit 08/19/2020 11:01 AM CDT

>I've never tried breaking into a house while carrying 490 distinct items, but I can only assume it would be challenging.

There are lots of things that would be challenging while carrying 490 distinct items. And there are encumbrance checks. You could tie encumbrance to difficulty, if desired, but a straight item count tied to arrest does not make sense.

>I wonder what percentage of characters are professional burglars as an in-character decision. Mine didn't start until it became justified in its mind.
Me, as much as a non-guilded thief can be a professional.

>All that being said... I do agree that an arrest of the character in response to nearing the inventory limit is not the way I would have gone. But the system is otherwise pretty great all around, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice any of its high points to adjust that.
Then we are in agreement. I don't see how they would have to sacrifice any of the B&E system to avoid corruption. Simply make it no-go if you are at the inventory threshhold with OOC messaging, just like all the other inventory count messaging.

Jalika