Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 01/26/2020 10:24 PM CST
If we use the "zone map" on Elanthipedia to gauge distance... it's got a glaring flaw when considering the time it takes to travel to the islands and among them. I think it'd be super if we could find a way to significantly improve this (maybe drive in some more populance in the islands as a benefit?)

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Zone_map

Notable times (most common travels I've noticed by folks)

Crossings to Knife Clan, ONE DIAGONAL DISTANCE - takes 15 seconds on foot (script)

Crossings to Riverhaven, ONE DIAGONAL + ONE VERTICAL DISTANCE - takes 2 minutes if you can swim (which I think takes 150 ranks?) or maybe 4-8 minutes on ferry depending on departure time.

Therenborough to Hibarnhvidar - 10 DISTANCES - 5-10 minutes - (mix of vertical/diag/horizontal) swimming (150 ranks), ferry (crossings to Leth), gondola (leth to Shard), ice skates (shard to Hib) roughly 5-10 minutes depending on departure times.

Now the fun part...
Aesry to Ratha (1 diagonal square) - 1 hour 15 minutes, ASSUMING the ship is docked and ready to depart. Could be as long as 2 hours 30 minutes.
Aesry to Taisgath 2 squares - hours and hours... trying to calculate... (head explodes)

So in summary:
Conservative estimate: very LONG DISTANCE travel, Theren to Hib- 10 minutes
Very liberal estimate: very SHORT DISTANCE, Aesry to Ratha - 75 minutes.

It's no wonder the ships are almost never used... and the islands are so often empty. And those were using friendly estimates... if we assume someone with 150 ranks athletics and iceskates can get to Hib in 5 minutes... and it could take nearly 150 minutes to travel ONE square away (Aesry to Ratha) then it seems a bit insane. ;)
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 02/07/2020 04:25 PM CST
>>Aesry to Ratha (1 diagonal square)

While I am all for improving ship speeds faster than they already are, I wouldn't personally treat the zone map as an in-game distance to distance gauge.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/17/2020 07:49 PM CDT
There were dolphins who took you there when the Province first opened in like... 10 minutes? Or am I thinking the Feast of Eluned? Where did the dolphins go?
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/17/2020 08:32 PM CDT
IIRC Feast of Eluned from mainland to Andreshlew.

Regards,

Sortny/Braunwen
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/17/2020 08:42 PM CDT
It doesn't speed up the older transport ships but there's a few other mainland/island options that are much faster:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Sea_mammoth

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Airship

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Travel_map

A Moon Mage can also transport you by Moongate or Riftal Summons.

There's also https://elanthipedia.play.net/Jump_Jewelry for purchase and use by anyone and https://elanthipedia.play.net/Teleportation_tattoo for NMUs
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/18/2020 07:28 AM CDT
With how compressed and empty DR is these days, having a static hub gate available for a nominal fee would be nice.

I'd be more likely to RP/live in a location if I could just walk there in 5 minutes.

Forget the boats and ships and other things. Just open static gates.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/18/2020 11:17 AM CDT
>>https://elanthipedia.play.net/Travel_map

I have never seen this, and I'm on elanthipedia more than the common bear. Thank you!

Rhadyn da Dwarb - Blood for fire!

Barbarian Guild Suggestions
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h4L5hAxR1-VLDegDNZBIhGdo5bMgnCtm84Icm2E0utU/edit#gid=0
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/18/2020 04:20 PM CDT
>With how compressed and empty DR is these days, having a static hub gate available for a nominal fee would be nice.
>I'd be more likely to RP/live in a location if I could just walk there in 5 minutes.
>Forget the boats and ships and other things. Just open static gates.

You're entirely aware of this already but:
Train athletics and you can travel the vast majority of the mainland game world on foot in ~5 minutes without a fee (beyond subscription).
Static travel gates and a MULTITUDE of travel widgets already exist for nominal fees.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/19/2020 06:15 AM CDT
>Train athletics and you can travel the vast majority of the mainland game world on foot in ~5 minutes without a fee (beyond subscription).

Yep. It's quite convenient, but I was imagining bypasses for long-distance. At this point, a nominal fee to go from Crossing to islands instantly, or Leth to Haven, or Dirge to Theren, would be good.

Faster travel means that outlying regions aren't really outlying regions any more. I'd be honestly surprised if the game even loads the islands segments most days.

Travel items, as far as I know, are simply jump jewelry, which are too fiddly and too real-world expensive for most players, and still require the presence of a single specific moon - I played Plat with them, and they're by and large quite nice, but they're also not a replacement for static hubs. When you could get a full set of them for free you could almost always find a moon in the general direction and walk. But even then sometimes everything was down.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 12/29/2020 07:38 AM CST
I agree, the travel time to the islands is too long.
Most of the trip is the 'ship' sitting at dock for hours.

Maybe reduce this and open islands up to F2P, send them to use the pain to get too regions.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 12/29/2020 10:25 AM CST
Umm, you do know about the airships to Aesry & umm M'riss(?)?

Or the swimmie critters? You can get one from Leth area, go to fang cove then ratha.

Sorry I cant remember exact names & such, but basic gist of it.

Yes, the ships are a PITA but there are alternate way around things, folks still use the ships either as a time waster or to hunt. I think the ships from haven still have the pirates, I'm fairly certain the one from crossings no longer has them.
If anything I wish the Dugan from Leth area (yeah yeah acenanama or whatever) held to a steady schedule but ehh thats life.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 12/29/2020 07:49 PM CST
Old thread to bring back, but to answer the question in the subject: no. Ships cannot be sped up more than they already are. Ask players who own ships about the endless loop around Arthe Dale sometimes -- ships that go too fast can actually overshoot their destination, which then leads to it slamming on the brakes (anchors?) to turn around, then it tries full speed again and shoots past it going the other way. Wash, rinse, repeat over and over. We can't speed up existing ships without things breaking in worse ways.

As to the zone map on epedia -- I wouldn't call it accurate in terms of representing distances between areas, especially when the islands/seas come into play. Moving from one room to another in the game can be a matter of steps (inside shops for example) or miles (that long road between Theren and vines/creepers). The zone map is an approximation so that systems (like old gweths) that needed to factor some sort of distance could do so.

As others pointed out, though, other travel options have been added to make it easier, and we're eying more for the future. Until then, however, jump jewelry are an option as well as seeking the assistance of a Moon Mage. Long distance travel is something they excel at. I'd also mention that Premium players have access to the LTB CLAIM hub with their LTB points.

Zadraes
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 12/29/2020 08:39 PM CST
Zadraes is correct and I have little to add to the technical explanation, except to note that the map of the Provinces is encompassing a big area that is not always accurately represented (seeing Leth's tree from Shard would not be possible due to curvature of Elanthia). An old, old post from Godrich is archived on Elanthipedia with some very old but never overwritten distance assumptions. IIRC, the trek to Arthe Dale from Crossing is meant to represent around 60 miles.

That's not to say we should make you feel like you're trudging hundreds of miles out to sea to reach the islands, but those systems Jeremael wrote way back when are calibrated to those kind of distances to the result Zadraes laid out.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 12/29/2020 09:50 PM CST
>>Ask players who own ships about the endless loop around Arthe Dale sometimes -- ships that go too fast can actually overshoot their destination, which then leads to it slamming on the brakes (anchors?) to turn around, then it tries full speed again and shoots past it going the other way. Wash, rinse, repeat over and over.

When Fang Cove first came out mammoths and portals to there weren't out yet and the only way to reach it was by boat. I "manually" drove so fast toward Fang Cove's dock from Ratha that I ended up stuck in the ocean where Shard should have theoretically been and Zadraes had to save my boat.

So… yeah.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 01/13/2021 09:04 AM CST
sounds like the coding needs to be fixed before ships can go faster.
but ships don't need to go faster to improve travel time to the islands.

as an example: reduce how long they sit at each dock from 1 hour to 5 minutes.
more ships can be added as well.

it's been awhile since I travelled to islands by ship, but I do remember it taking a couple of hours because it would sit at each dock a long time.
artificially inflating how far the islands are.

maybe a combination....

1) reduce dock sitting to 5 minutes.
2) add the time that you shaved off sitting at a dock to the actual sea voyage, so they really are far away.
3) add additional ships.
4) clean coding.

using travel jewelry and other paid options is not a solution, it's a cash grab that rich P2W people do.
like paid quests.... ridiculous.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 01/13/2021 09:32 AM CST
>>it's been awhile since I travelled to islands by ship, but I do remember it taking a couple of hours because it would sit at each dock a long time.

It definitely doesn't take this long anymore. I would totally recommend taking a boat out to an island to see how long it takes.

I wouldn't mind more sea mammoth island travel, though.

Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 01/17/2021 07:15 PM CST
Or...we could have a similar system like the Theren -> TC moongate. I mean I know people would still burn three hours of their lives just for nostalgia but it would definitely take some pain out of going to the islands.

Wait...what I was just doing?
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/01/2021 06:47 PM CST
>Or...we could have a similar system like the Theren -> TC moongate. I mean I know people would still burn three hours of their lives just for nostalgia but it would definitely take some pain out of going to the islands.

Yeah, the mammoths were a game-changer that actually make Ratha reasonable to travel to. I realize it takes a little bit away from the Moon Mage niche to make travel easier, but the reality is the distant islands are just not fun if you aren't a high level Moon Mage.

Signed,
- Player of a 200th moon mage, among others.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/02/2021 12:58 AM CST
Or we could always go the complete opposite!

Make travel completely reality based...

Every room should come with a travel time penalty, like it should take you least 5-10 minutes based on your walking speed to walk thru the Crossing town green area. A city the size of Crossing would take the normal person even at a brisk jog maybe a couple hours. Travel to Riverhaven from Crossing now that is clearly quite a dire trek, even by guarded caravan or speeding horse you are looking at least a day or so to traverse the forests, volcanic steeps and boggy marshes.

I vote for even longer and longer travel times!

(moral of the story: if you want faster travel become a moonmage. don't complain because it could always be much worse)

Of the Commoners and for the Commoners!
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/02/2021 07:42 AM CST

> (moral of the story: if you want faster travel become a moonmage. don't complain because it could always be much worse)

Moral of the story: We're stuck in the 90's in a video game that people pay a monthly fee for, and if you don't like it - make sure you don't say anything cause nothing will EVER change?

Give me a break.

Maybe get a couple MM portals up and running at the MM guild and charge a PREMIUM fee (or hell, SIMUCOINS!) to use them to travel between provinces. We know RL money > game money.

You could create more travel opportunities TO the islands. Shipwrecks, invading creatures that actually damage things and the people have to re-build with materials. Right now the only reason to go to the islands is for any quests that take you there (or the random mob that won't be packed to the gills with people).

Create mammoths or sea creatures that can make the trip 15-25 minutes instead of the long haul of the old, outdated boats.

Asking for improvements in a game isn't complaining - and we should be pushing for improvements. Times change, and times should change within the game.

You try and tell me my complaints will make it harder to enjoy myself in a video game - that's the moment I stop paying for it and find something else to do. Get out of that sick mindset from when Solomon was around.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/02/2021 12:31 PM CST
Yeah, folks complaining about the time travel takes from say Crossings to Ratha, or Aesry or M'riss/Mer'krish do realize that we now have the sea mammoths that gasp even non premium folks can access? You don't have to be a citizen to even use them also.

Go from crossings to leth (a whole 35 coppers) then go out to that acenamara or such place, catch a mammoth to fang cove then catch one from fc to ratha, easy peasy.

Go to shard & catch the balloon to umm aesry, easy peasy.

Go to Langen & catch the balloon to m'riss, easy peasy again.

Heck, you can even balloon from crossings to Muspar'i now instead of having to walk all the way up through Haven & Theren.

We already have other ways to access the islands than the ships, leave the old way alone for those of us who enjoy the time on them.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/03/2021 02:26 AM CST
>moral of the story: if you want faster travel become a moonmage. don't complain because it could always be much worse)

As a player with a Moon mage, heck no. This is like justifying old death scars, which were universally awful and materially impacted all gameplay in a negative way, but going "if you wanna heal easy, play an Empath."

Luckily lately the GMs have done a decent job of both making travel more convenient for MMs (Ripplegate Theory) and giving them other stuff (Shadow Web).
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/24/2021 07:33 AM CDT
Reality of the story, potential new players would not want travel to take hours.
Let alone craft anything with the bloated crafting system.... it is very realistic, too much so.

Refusing to do changes and upgrades eventually kills the game.... as new players become fewer and fewer.
The current player base is getting older, and sadly some are walking the starry road.

refusing to change will mean we will be the last ones to play in Elanthia from retirement.
Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 03/24/2021 09:26 AM CDT
>>Reality of the story, potential new players would not want travel to take hours.

I don't think any travel takes hours anymore after all the tweaks done during the last few years. Maybe if you go from one end of the game to the other using the slowest route possible and end up also just missing every ferry/gondola/boat along the way.

Re: Can we improve the island ship times? Here's why... 06/01/2021 12:03 PM CDT
What about replacing the current island boats with new boats that use whatever system the ferries/airships/etc use?

Could open a pathway to replacing/refactoring the boat code, removing its relevance to non-player travel. You could set the travel time to be fairly quick.

Also +1 the idea of opening the islands to f2p