Locked spells as ftp 10/10/2019 11:32 PM CDT
Dont know where else to put this, but, as a FTP moonmage, i had no idea that shadow servant was a sub only spell. The spell is available at level 25, but requires you to have like 200 ranks to cast it. Before then, it only tells you "you lack the experience." After that tells you, you need to sub. This a spell that costs 3 slots, it should tell you, IN GAME, you cant use it. (and why)
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/12/2019 07:24 AM CDT

While you are correct that this information is not available in game, you can find it at -

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Free_accounts
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/12/2019 12:31 PM CDT
Alright, i am still complaining it is not in game, which is where it should be.
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/12/2019 12:33 PM CDT

No one should be expected to have to consult with an outside page to figure out if they can use a spell or not. Its not even dragonrealms own page that has the info..
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/13/2019 01:09 AM CDT

I am sorry that all these are not one big rambling complaint. But, i keep finding out more and more. As per that link, it looks like moon mages are the only guild to have an early level cap, have missing spells, and missing training methods? I really thought that by being FTP with a EXP boost, i would be playing the same game as subs outside a pretty large swath of the game, but the part i am locked out of keeps growing.

This is not the way you get new people, and new money flowing into the game. I am frustrated, and 99% of this frustration could of been alleviated with more in game explanations. I thought paying 2/3 of a subscription price, was good enough..
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/13/2019 02:16 AM CDT

I had the same issue. I wasted 3 hard earned spell slots on it. Plus being FTP I can't even go forget the spell without a paid visa. Would have been nice if the spell just wasn't an option when asking the guild leader when you're FTP.
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/13/2019 12:46 PM CDT

> I had the same issue. I wasted 3 hard earned spell slots on it. Plus being FTP I can't even go forget the spell without a paid visa.

Take advantage of one of the free visa's that take you to therengia. You don't have to pay to forget a spell on most F2Ps. Just do it while you're doing other quests.
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/13/2019 03:00 PM CDT
There is no early circle cap for F2P Moon Mages. You complete the 100th circle quest and continue circling; you just can't use the 100th circle ability as F2P.

I do wish that there were warnings for F2P characters at the guildleader for spells that aren't usable or limited. However, you can forget a spell at the spell library in Throne City every 30 rl days. The Starlight Sphere, Shadewatch Mirror and Invocation of the Spheres spells all provide for free travel visas to Therengia (where Throne City is also located) to complete the quests. As long as you leave 1 of the 3 quests uncompleted you can use that quest to return to Therengia in the future for 24 hours.

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/13/2019 06:25 PM CDT

I was just going by this, which says the quest was not doable, Are they talking about two different quests?-- Note: The astral travel quest cannot be completed by players with free accounts. This also means that the 100th circle ability cannot be used (as it requires advanced knowledge of the Astral Plane), although the 100th circle ability quest must be accomplished to level to 100th circle
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/14/2019 03:56 PM CDT
I edited epedia for clarity. The astral travel quest and the 100th circle ability quest are 2 different quests.

The Astral travel quest cannot be completed by players with free accounts.
The 100th circle ability quest can be completed by players with free accounts but the ability granted by the quest is not available to free accounts.
The 100th circle ability quest must be accomplished to level to 100th circle and beyond. This applies to both free accounts and subscription accounts.

Documentation is a love letter you write to your future self.
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/14/2019 06:46 PM CDT
<< I am frustrated, and 99% of this frustration could of been alleviated with more in game explanations.

I don't know if this primarily a F2P criticism, or just a criticism of how DR is designed. For the longest time, say the late 2000's, DR's production had a HUGE play and find out mentality. Every release had a PAFO listed after it (which I came to hate MORE than the dreaded SOON).

So many of the explanations of where to hunt, how to train, what spells to use, how to do just about anything, were learned by talking with other players, posting on the forums, and reading player personal websites (e.g. Olwyyd's). I literally remember in 2005 there were threads listing where to hunt or climb/swim being weekly reposted threads. Over time that information gathering morphed into Elanthipedia, which is run by players but hosted by Simutronics and I consider as approved by Simutronics as any website.

There was a push to get more information documented in game. The HELP and VERB verb was expanded immensely, but I remember those being done by a single GM. Could DR use a better tutorial system to teach players how to play? Sure. But there's also an additional cry from players who want more endgame stuff. But certainly I do not think that DR will ever have full IG documentation. There's simply too much to include and too much personal decision (which is the largest difference between it and Gemstone's more cookie-cutter, optimized system imo).

Just like planning your stats or spells, I feel figuring out how to play has been how DR was designed to be played. If anyone doesn't feel like they know where to go or what to do, ask around. Ask a variety of people for different opinions. Make sure you know your decision before you commit, especially for F2P accounts who are so restrictive. It's the one major thing that F2P will do, spend more of your time.

Nikpack
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/15/2019 12:12 AM CDT
<<DR's production had a HUGE play and find out mentality. Every release had a PAFO listed after it

I am 1000% percent ok with this. What i am not ok with, is being able to learn a spell at circle 25 at the cost of three spell slots. Spending the next 25 circles trying to cast it and getting a message that i am not experienced enough. Then, when i finally do get there and can cast it, i get a 'sub now' message. Thats not play and find out.. thats a big fat turd being dropped on my plate.
Re: Locked spells as ftp 10/15/2019 12:13 AM CDT

On one hand, i should of known about all of this because i can read elanthpedia, on the other, i should just PAFO.