Been wanting to play... 04/30/2019 04:36 PM CDT

and use the stormfront client, but getting the same error (after over a year) on windows 10.

Error loading skin [storm.skn]

Yes, there are some posts out there related to this, but my main question and complain is, why not just fix it so it works on Windows 10?
Re: Been wanting to play... 04/30/2019 04:53 PM CDT

it does work on win10. I'm playing from a win10 laptop as I write this and that file is from back in 2008 so its been more than a version change since it was created. Maybe your local install is corrupted? Is the file even there?

-Nsar
Re: Been wanting to play... 04/30/2019 05:43 PM CDT

Run it as an administrator. You may need to find the stormfront executable, right click it, go to properties, and select the checkbox next to run as an administrator in the compatibility tab.
Re: Been wanting to play... 04/30/2019 08:01 PM CDT
I think the OP has a valid point.

I remember downloading the SGE and client from the website and having a terrible time trying to get it running. And the website had a download for windows 95 and a download for windows 3.1 - not reassuring at all.

Having decent, foolproof instructions for modern OS's prominently displayed on the download page would help newcomers.

The game has a great and supportive community - but all that happens after you join the game, log in, and get your bearings. Those first few steps can be quite daunting and you want to make them as seamless as possible.
Re: Been wanting to play... 04/30/2019 08:14 PM CDT

Is it StormFront or the SGE?

SF has the main site based launcher that runs just fine on Win10.

SGE is antiquated at best and likely isnt worth the dev time to fix when we seem to suffer from a lack of experienced coders in-game as well.

The OP referenced Stormfront initially.

-Nsar
Re: Been wanting to play... 04/30/2019 08:29 PM CDT
SGE works just fine in windows 10 in administrator mode. It's opening stormfront directly from the website that is the issue, possibly only in Chrome. The solution there is to locate the charactername.sal file in your downloads file and set it to always be opened by the simu launcher file. The downside is you get a file in there every time you launch the game which adds up over time, so you will want to go in and delete them every so often. Or just use the SGE.
Re: Been wanting to play... 04/30/2019 08:33 PM CDT
I should have re-checked before posting, it's called launcher. And it still says on the download page that you can download the Win3.1 version.

I'm running Win7 on this PC right now... and the launcher does not install correctly. Or at least it brings up a "this program may not have installed correctly" window and disappears. I guess it runs better on Windows 10.

I'm not saying that it does not run on Windows 7 either. I had it running a couple of years ago when I created this account, and it worked well. Then when I came back a couple of months ago I could not get it working again.

What I am saying is that if someone new to the game comes along, tries to install the recommended client and it does not work for whatever reason, they are likely to move on.
Re: Been wanting to play... 04/30/2019 08:46 PM CDT

>SGE works just fine in windows 10 in administrator mode

That worked, thanks!