Moonblade 03/21/2019 01:22 AM CDT
I'm speaking as a Warmage so this may come off a little self-serving by why do Moonmages get to create weapons that rival their elemental counterparts?

Seems like maybe they have enough without having to make the leap to weapon creation as well. I realize moonblade is a very set-in-stone mechanic with a lot of history behind it but with all their huge amount of utility and the fact they're weapon tert, this doesn't seem so much like a mechanic as they just have a very competent GM arguing how they couldn't possibly be Moonmages without that extra little edge.

Some facts:

Moonblades start at t3. Warmage weapons start at t2. Moonmages require 2 spell slots to get full functionality. Warmages require 9. Moonblades cap out at t5, same as warmages.

Maybe nerf the moonblades a bit? Or make Elementalism extend to summoning (can summon all forms with a free metaspell). Moonies have enough without creating comparable weapons to Warmages.
Re: Moonblade 03/21/2019 05:16 AM CDT
Some more facts:

Warmages require 0 spell slots to get a tier 2 weapon.
Moon Mages actually require 4 spell slots to get full functionality from moonblades. (Moonblade, Shape Moonblade, and Empower Moonblade)
Warmages can summon an elemental weapon at any time.
Moon Mages can only make a moonblade if a moon is up.
Warmages can summon a tier 5 elemental weapon at any time.
Moon Mages can only make a tier 5 moonblade if one of the moons that is up is providing a strong influence or more to lunar mana. (Less for Crystal Hand members.)
For 2 spell slots Warmages can summon every melee weapon as well as LT and HT weapons.
For 2 spell slots Moon Mages can make small edge, large edge, two-handed edge, and quarterstaff weapons.
Moonblades can only deal physical damage.

While I would argue that the tier upgrade from knowing the appropriate crafting technique should be free, it is for both Moonblade and Regalia(the Trader armor creation spell), 2 slots seems fair for a tier upgrade that can be used at any time and only requires you to lug around some rare metal.

ā€œIā€™m sorry that your mystical, godlike powers do not instantly work as you would like them to.ā€
Re: Moonblade 03/21/2019 05:50 AM CDT
Just to tack on a few more points in favor of WMs here.

- Moonblades must be refreshed before they disappear. Elemental weapons are permanent unless dropped or stowed.
- At the higher end of things, it's better to have higher density in weapons for the stat boost. Not only do Moonblades default to being lighter (less dense), elemental weapons can have their density adjusted with quick infusions.
- Elemental weapons have some of the best messaging for weapons in the game (Ok this is more form over function, but in a text based game I want my text to be as cool as it can be).
Re: Moonblade 03/21/2019 07:58 AM CDT
I just started playing a WM, but I think 'tier 5 at any time' is misleading?

WM require an ingot of rare metal that should degrade over time. MM require moons. Both are physical components, but different approaches. In theory a WM could never summon a tier 5, if he can't afford to buy metal or doesn't mine it. A MM just 'has to wait' for random rolls.
Re: Moonblade 03/21/2019 01:30 PM CDT
That's one way to look at it, but as with all things moon mage, they have no control over moon cycles where at a certain stage, a WM will have some level of control in accessing tier 5 summoned weapons. A moon mage could have a trillion plat and all the metal in the game, but if there isn't a strong moon out, they top out at tier 4 and that's that (aside from monks).
Re: Moonblade 03/21/2019 06:56 PM CDT
>I'm speaking as a Warmage so this may come off a little self-serving by why do Moonmages get to create weapons that rival their elemental counterparts?

Also speaking as a warmage... why not? I can't think of a reason not to let them have this (divination) bone.

I am abruptly lost in memories of Moon Mages asking "why do WMs get familiars?!"

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.
They're proud of them." -Raesh, on history
Re: Moonblade 03/21/2019 09:53 PM CDT
honestly, i don't that much different between the two to complain about either. what i will complain about, is that even maxed at tier 5, that seems weak. almost no reason to use them, when you can make and/or buy something tier 6+ and never touch the summoned weapons or moonblade after that. i know they offer some flexibility, and could be great for training weapons. other than that, it's really a niche talent/spell.
Re: Moonblade 03/21/2019 11:52 PM CDT
I use both of these weapons in their fully upgraded forms. If I had to make a choice of sticking with just one and forever not using the other it would be a very hard choice. Ultimately, I think I would stick with elemental weapons just for the greater flexibility and ease of use compared to moon mage weapons. What makes the decision hard is the style factor that moonblades have.

Also, one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that while the moonblades can also reach tier 4/5, their templates aren't as good as elemental weapons unless you're looking for a parrying weapon. The moonblades are effectively low density weapons with their relatively poor damage and higher balance, but even the low density forms of elemental weapons have better damage stats than moonblades do.
Re: Moonblade 03/22/2019 07:22 AM CDT
> honestly, i don't that much different between the two to complain about either. what i will complain about, is that even maxed at tier 5, that seems weak. almost no reason to use them, when you can make and/or buy something tier 6+ and never touch the summoned weapons or moonblade after that. i know they offer some flexibility, and could be great for training weapons. other than that, it's really a niche talent/spell.

Outside of a situation where you absolutely need to max out your damage, tier 4 (equivalent to steel) is more than fine for everyday hunting. Yes, there are better weapons, especially when you start looking at MT/fest weapons and they should be better. Otherwise, what's the point? Besides, if I'm in a spot where I need to maximize my damage, I'm turning to TM options first as a WM.

While they cost spell slots, as a WM I can train every melee/thrown weapon without carrying around any weight, have access to multiple density/template options, and the elemental infusion options proc Mark of Arhat for some extra oomph. I also can't lose the weapons, though I think that's mostly a non-issue these days. And of course, the messaging!
Re: Moonblade 03/22/2019 08:35 AM CDT
I'm still learning about all this. Don't MM weapons offer spell storage or some meta features? Would that impact the difference?
Re: Moonblade 03/22/2019 10:53 AM CDT
> I'm still learning about all this. Don't MM weapons offer spell storage or some meta features? Would that impact the difference?

They do with the empower moonblade metaspell. I know it adds nodes to the weapon to store spells (basically stores prep time) and it'll make it a cambrinth item. So more utility than anything.
Re: Moonblade 03/24/2019 08:53 AM CDT
Have you actually used a moonblade AMARITA? You mentioned you're posting from a wm standpoint. I'd recommend rolling a moon mage character up and rushing for moonblade. You will feel much better. No one is getting 'an extra edge' from moonblade except in the style and Jedi fantasy departments.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Moonblade 04/03/2019 05:59 PM CDT
My moonmage can travel from Raven's Point to Therenborough in about two minutes. That is a guild-specific feat that no one should take away from the Moon Mages.

She isn't even that high of a circle. No one has as much lore development as the Moon Mages or even as many perks as them. Heck, there are simu-store coins being spent for things that Moonies can do naturally.

What I want is fair trade.

No one can move around like a Moon Mage does. Rangers can try but you tell one of them to meet you on Kresh in a minute and it's just not going to happen.

Warmages ONLY have weapons. And if one of you sickos out there says 'familiars' you need to be saddled with a talisman in your hand at 10 ranks and then still be saddled with a talisman in your hand at 1500.

I realize I went the whole 'their weapons are as good as ours' route, according to the stats they are. We take 9 spell slots to get full functionality and moon mages take, 5? Someone mentioned it earlier.

The point is they shouldn't have the ability to.

They are weapon tert. Why in the heck would their guild spend time researching and developing something the absolutely do not prioritize? Moreover, why do they compare (and no one is debating it) so closely to a guild that is supposed to be the bridge between Barbarians and Moon Mages?

They have a hugely developed lore with their sects and cantrips. They do not need to be able to make weapons. And if they do make them, they need to be gimped severely.
Re: Moonblade 04/03/2019 06:43 PM CDT
<<Warmages ONLY have weapons.

You lost your entire argument with this one laughable sentence. I'm not sure why you are having such a hate on for moonblades other than GvG trolling so I'll go with that. If you actually want to improve warmage weapons, focus on improvements to that system instead of trying to take away an inferior ability that another guild has had for years.