Undead Turtles 10/28/2007 04:34 PM CDT
Some 100th+ level critter suggestions.

a giant Zaulfung turtle
Grown to monstrous proportions due to the corruptive swamp fumes, this unnatural reptile wades through the brackish waters with lumbering steps. Sickly brown moss and other vile byproducts of the marsh cling to its misshapen grey carapace. With a massive beak of unfathomable bite strength and a long, thick tail with stony ridges jutting rigidly from under its carapace, there is nothing benign about the Zaulfung turtle.

Location: A section (probably northern) of the greater Zaulfung. The area is too big for just sluaghs/hounds anyway.
Level: Juvenile armadillo level.
Type: Cursed
Skin: a jagged grey carapace fragment
Abilities: Stealthy. May decompose into coughing gas like crypt fiends.

a fossilized ebon Zaulfung turtle
Its petrified carapace bearing countless carvings of three-tined talons, the gigantic monstrosity before you appears to be the remains of an oversized Zaulfung turtle, having been reanimated after a brutal sacrifice to Maelshyve. Knotty scars from old, grievous wounds mar its granite-like skin, sealed with some viscous black substance. The carcass looks like it may collapse in a heap any moment, but shifting tendrils of ebon miasma wrap about its entire body, lending unholy vigor to its limbs.
A Maelshyvean death knight sits high atop the great undead turtle, directing the beast with booming blows of its war mattock upon the carapace.

Location: A new, subterranean area connecting the swamp and Maelshyve's Fortress. This could be the long requested shortcut into hierophants, requiring hefty survival skills.
Level: Adult armadillo level.
Type: Fleshy undead
Skin: an engraved ebon carapace fragment
Abilities: The miasma coating its body travels through melee and pole weapons, casting Malediction and CoZ on the attacker (only once like the storm bull zap). Unlike shalswars and damaska boars, the rider never dies with the mount.

a Maelshyvean death knight
Raised from some reformed bones of a sacrificed Zaulfung turtle, the death knight is given life at the same time as the reanimated beast, its essence entwined with its mount in an eternal necromantic bond. Under a glowing reptilian skull, the vaguely humanoid skeleton is clad in tightly interlocking plate armor. Three-tined claws, alight with the same unearthly glow, grip a war mattock disproportionately large to its gangly body.

Level: About the same as zombie turtles. More offense, less defense.
Type: Skeletal undead.
Skin: a warped reptilian skull
Abilities: Can reanimate its mount once after it's slain. Casts Aether Lash.

~Aeth
Re: Undead Turtles 10/28/2007 04:49 PM CDT
Those sound awesome.

Aveda's Field Guide
http://dr.aveda.googlepages.com
Hot hot hot scripts, Antique P5 maps, a macro tutorial, skill & stat training advice, and plenty of Bardly goodness.
Reckus 4 is out! Now with vocal support! 9/18/2007
Re: Undead Turtles 10/28/2007 06:45 PM CDT
While those would be nowhere near my hunting level, I hope they get implemented on the basis of sheer awesomeness.

-/\/\
Moon mage Daellid
Re: Undead Turtles 10/29/2007 07:09 AM CDT
<<While those would be nowhere near my hunting level, I hope they get implemented on the basis of sheer awesomeness.

Totally, me too.

Nikpack
player of Celeiros

-At the cleric meeting-
DARTENIAN says, "I think we all need to get down and pray for bit-based experience."
>DARTENIAN clears his throat.
Re: Undead Turtles 10/29/2007 10:32 AM CDT
As usual Aeth, your descriptives are fantastic- my nitpicks:
"May decompose into coughing gas like crypt fiends."

Unless PFE protects against it, or high stamina or discipline does- please no- I hate affects that there seems to be no counter to.

Likewise the COZ/Maledection when hitting the creatures- I think the COZ would make it much harder to hunt them. As a cleric, if PFE protected against it, I would be okay with it, but generally I think it would be better without it. Some form of spitting attack, or attack that taught escaping would be interesting though.

Flavius

"militantly enforcing the overly rigid standards of you and your small collection of friends"
Re: Undead Turtles 10/29/2007 11:10 AM CDT
>>Unless PFE protects against it, or high stamina or discipline does- please no- I hate affects that there seems to be no counter to.

I felt that a giant, cursed swamp turtle should have a special ability, but I couldn't think of anything nifty other than perhaps using its carapace as a shield. But yes, as with all Zaulfung critters, I would expect PFE to protect against the special attacks.

>>Likewise the COZ/Maledection when hitting the creatures- I think the COZ would make it much harder to hunt them. As a cleric, if PFE protected against it, I would be okay with it, but generally I think it would be better without it.

You could also Uncurse (which could always use more reason to cast). Even for non-clerics though, it's far less hindering and temporary than the special abilites of critters like storm bulls and cinder beasts.

>>Some form of spitting attack, or attack that taught escaping would be interesting though.

Hrmm, a superpowered version of the retch fiend spit...

~Aeth