Prev_page Previous 1
Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 05:19 PM CDT
I've always been a fan of hunting that changes with conditions. One example is the barghests near Haven which become a more difficult variation at night. I would like to see more hunting areas that change depending on conditions such as time of day, time of year, and weather conditions. In the game Chrono Trigger (which I'm sure many of you are familiar with), there's a hunting preserve, where a rare enemy called a Nu can spawn only when it rains. I always thought that was a cool idea.

How about hunting grounds with rare spawn critters that appear under certain conditions? Give them a hide or skin that is very useful for crafting and suddenly it becomes an exciting hunt.

And more critters that flex with certain conditions... day/night is just one example, I'm sure that there are many other creative ways that this could be done.

And while I'm here, my grand idea that I've had for many years: How about a hunting area, some sort of wilderness, that changes drastically with the seasons? Like, in the winter, a waterfall freezes solid and can be climbed to access a different area with critters, and when the waterfall thaws in the spring, you can access a cave behind it that contains other critters. The glacial runoff in the spring raises the water level of the river, which fills with eels or some kinda critter, but later in summer, the riverbed goes dry and is inhabited by... evil raccoons or something. You know?

I just think it would be very interesting and atmospheric to do something like that. And if there were unique critters there with rare skins that you could only find during one season of the year, that would have interesting economic effects. Same if there were unique forageables that could only be found in certain seasons there.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 05:34 PM CDT
I like the idea of rare/different mobs popping up based on time of day/weather/season/etc, but only under the condition that they're the same level range. If the combats needed drastically shift, it stops being a place to reliably hunt/train and I pass it over for something more stable.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 05:36 PM CDT
When I joined staff I was thinking about stuff like you're suggesting and wondering "Why people don't do this more? I bet I could build the tools to let us do cool stuff like that!" And it turns out in many cases the tools exist (Not always with great documentation, but that's more the rule than the exception in development land) but are rarely or never used. And I think there's two reasons for that, mostly because it increases the amount of work for a release by x2-4, but also because while players say they like areas that change, eventually players tend to not like areas that change. They don't want to wait for a certain season to make an enchantment, they don't want to have the perfect level creature for them to hunt to only be around sometimes.

This is not to say I don't like the idea (and I've been musing over some similar themes in some of my future releases), but just explaining why we don't see it much.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 05:36 PM CDT

I would love to see areas we could invade that a group would really help with. work your way up a mountain into an ogre camp. face three of four different kind of critters on the way. Gen rate increases as you get closer. one chief or war lord<boss> type of critter with maybe a decent loot drop or maybe not. just something to add spice to the game instead of standing there with multi critters lettin them swing at you so you can build skill. has a lot of potential but not sure if anyone besides me would like to see it.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 05:40 PM CDT

by the way thanks kindly for the open discussion of this. that is basically what i was thinking about the critters with a decent range of skills ect.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 05:42 PM CDT

Fair enough Raesh, thanks for the response.

Just because I think it's cool doesn't mean that everybody would. But I am happy that you understand what I'm envisioning.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 05:43 PM CDT
Tangentially related -- this is also why you don't see seasonal room text. It turns out the mechanics to do it already exist, but no one wants to write x4 as much room text that most people don't bother to read.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 05:46 PM CDT
>eventually players tend to not like areas that change. They don't want to wait for a certain season to make an enchantment, they don't want to have the perfect level creature for them to hunt to only be around sometimes.

This was pretty much going to be my response anyway, so...this.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 06:20 PM CDT
I think it's awesome that it seasonal room descriptions exist, I'd suggest for Crossing, if any place to have it.

But if it doesn't get it, well I understand the whole not wanting to write x4.

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 06:47 PM CDT
>>Tangentially related -- this is also why you don't see seasonal room text. It turns out the mechanics to do it already exist, but no one wants to write x4 as much room text that most people don't bother to read.

Different room text sometimes does very bad things to genie maps, too. :(

Not that I think ease of running like a crazy person from point A to point B should be a GM priority, but it bugs me on the player side at times!

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 07:13 PM CDT
Avoiding the need to make Automapper more intelligent is not a design concern :)

-Raesh

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 07:37 PM CDT
>>Avoiding the need to make Automapper more intelligent is not a design concern :)

It's intelligent enough. Just requires recording :-P

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 07:55 PM CDT
Back in the day I used to create Unreal Tournament mods, and I've occasionally dipped into mods for Halo 3 and stuff like LittleBigPlanet. My modding experience with official feedback is somewhat limited, but the consensus I got was that players don't like gimmicks.

If they're furiously shooting at each other in team deathmatch, they don't want a big critter in the middle of the arena that eats anyone who comes close, even though that adds a level of strategic positioning, in theory. The same holds true for DR hunting grounds I guess, as critters with interesting group mechanics or area mechanics or special attacks tend to be largely avoided in favor of ones that can easily be farmed and scripted.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 08:07 PM CDT
IMO having rare/boss/strong mobs showing up would be less of an issue if there was a way to actually run from them.

It's not like they ever just give up or stop being around.

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 08:09 PM CDT
Though please keep in mind that there are a silent minority who actually don't mind mixed/seasonal bags, or actively like them even, that just don't speak up. Possibly because they'll just end up being shouted down.
On the other hand, numbers don't lie. Much.

Seasonal critters would be cool, even if it was just cosmetic (a snow goblin, a spring goblin, etc., maybe not that lame, but you catch my meaning). Back to the x4 writing, but with smaller strings of text.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 08:15 PM CDT
>IMO having rare/boss/strong mobs showing up would be less of an issue if there was a way to actually run from them.

Might be an interesting addition to FLEE.

>FLEE TUSKY

You bolt out of the area, just ahead of the tusky, leading it on a merry chase. Eventually, you stop being able to hear it following, and pause for a breath.
Roundtime: 30 seconds

Basically, on success, does the winged boots thing and despawns the critter.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 08:21 PM CDT
<<I think it's awesome that it seasonal room descriptions exist, I'd suggest for Crossing, if any place to have it.>>
There are some in the Crossing area. Off the top of my head, the bathing pool in the Temple changes descriptions based on it being winter or not.
A tiny rivulet of crystal-blue water babbles through the area, arcing outward from the pond to the south. Independent of the miniature stream, a luxurious marble bath has been placed amidst a garden of fresh sirese blooms, flanked with ivory statues carved in the shape of graceful swans. Several large stone pots stand beside the statues, placed conveniently to replenish the waters of the bathing pool when the sun's rays cause it to thirst.

A thin rivulet of frozen water streaks through the area, arcing outward from the pond to the south. Independent of the frigidly stagnant stream, a marble bath lies empty amidst a patch of barren ground, the sirese blooms absent in the winter frost. Ivory statues carved into the shape of swans take on a quality of despair, their usually graceful forms covered with a burdensome layer of snow, icicles hanging from their beaks and wings. Several stone pots stand in a lonely row, full of freshly fallen snow.

<<Avoiding the need to make Automapper more intelligent is not a design concern :)>>

Changing/multiple room descriptions is a minor annoyance that's easily fixed. Avoiding the creation of rooms that can change exits like the Gondola and the rings in Maelshyve's Fortress would be appreciated since those are a lot more complicated to work around :p

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 09:14 PM CDT
>Though please keep in mind that there are a silent minority who

Ah, the infamous 'silent majority'. That which crops up any time someone needs to send signals that 'no, really, a metric ton of people care deeply and strongly about this and echo my feelings down the the molecule. They, uh, just can't be bothered to post right now.'

I'm willing to be the guys whos job it is to notice this stuff, and who can run numbers on it, and who can make the grounds, can tell which hunting grounds get used, and which lay fallow 99.999993% of the time except for when someone wants to make a fun stag out of it and then go back to normal critters.

So I'm more inclined to believe the GM who says 'players don't typically like this' as far as hunting grounds go.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 09:36 PM CDT
>>Though please keep in mind that there are a silent minority who

>Ah, the infamous 'silent majority'.

>>Though please keep in mind that there are a silent minority who

Also the part where I said 'otoh numbers don't lie.' I was just trying to give voice to the minority. I know most people don't like those hunting grounds, and I by no means recommend devoting development time on something the majority won't use. But some of us still appreciate and use the development that has occurred.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/30/2012 11:24 PM CDT
>>Changing/multiple room descriptions is a minor annoyance that's easily fixed.

Mind explaining, in this thread if it's quick or elsewhere if it's not? I got some Fang Cove places to update!

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/31/2012 06:17 AM CDT
Open automapper. Turn on Record.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/31/2012 07:25 AM CDT
That tends to just make a new room for me, not recognize the same room as having two descriptions.

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/31/2012 07:38 AM CDT
I only really see that when I'm in a maze (those sometimes have to be done by hand), or "Allow Duplicate Nodes" is enabled.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/31/2012 08:06 AM CDT
A critter that doesn't necessarily get harder with night/day or some other metric, but changes its weapon and or magic is is using.

A critter that drops boxes by day and is skinnable by night.

A critter that uses dual wield whirlwind and or throwing blades.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/31/2012 10:44 AM CDT
<<Mind explaining, in this thread if it's quick or elsewhere if it's not? I got some Fang Cove places to update!>>
Make sure Allow Duplicate Nodes option is turned off. Make sure you're using the same movement command that the mapper expects. Don't use the Automapper script to do the movement. Not sure why using the script occasionally causes mapping function to go wonky, but I've seen it a few times.
May want to double check that the room directions are correct, although it's rare for new directions to be added.

If it still refuses to auto-add the new description, copy the room description from the game window and then open the Edit Panel. At the end of the Description(s) already entered, insert a "|" followed by the new description. For a room that has descriptions "This is nighttime" and "This is daytime" depending on time, the Description field would look like This is nighttime|This is daytime.

If that doesn't work, should probably start a post in Genie's automapper forum and we can take a closer look.

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 07/31/2012 10:52 AM CDT
>>At the end of the Description(s) already entered, insert a "|" followed by the new description.

Sweet. I'll try doing this. Might be the best option.

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/05/2012 10:42 AM CDT
I would like to see areas like this that arent that great for the regular grind but they have the potential to drop some really useful loot such as magic wands that do various things, rare gems and items, or 1 out of every so many is a special variety that has a unique pelt or antler etc that could be use in crafting. Make it a survival challenge to get there, put em on faraway islands or way out in hib in a cave up on some icy mountainside and maybe limit the items per character or item generation/time to be sure that they stay rare.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/05/2012 10:47 AM CDT
>Make it a survival challenge to get there

Ya. Lets give guilds who already have great skillset placements more incentive to use them.

Make it a lore/magic challenge.

The problem with any area in DR that is continually spawning things which drop 'rare' goods, is that they will just be farmed for the drops while people spend days AFK. It's not quite the same as a graphical MMO, since the text based client means much more indepth and complicated scripting, so matches etc. are easier.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/05/2012 11:03 AM CDT
I don't know about magic challenges since that would completely exclude a few guilds. Combat challenges, sure.

And like I said the drops could be limited per character/account if need be. And don't think of it in the context of a regular DR hunting area this would be more open ended so it could be coded in whatever way is needed to eliminate farming for the items.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/05/2012 12:40 PM CDT
<<I don't know about magic challenges since that would completely exclude a few guilds. Combat challenges, sure.>>

Depends on what the check is. When 3.0 is released, no guild will completely be cut out from the Magic skill set.

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/05/2012 01:02 PM CDT
>>Depends on what the check is. When 3.0 is released, no guild will completely be cut out from the Magic skill set.

Keep in mind that all guilds using the magic skillset doesn't mean they all know "magic" ICly.

That said, I think it would be totally reasonable for some kind of enchantment craft to let NMUs pass those kinds of checks based on their inner magic stuff/arcana/etc.

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/05/2012 03:29 PM CDT
>When 3.0 is released, no guild will completely be cut out from the Magic skill set.

Supernatural skillset.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/05/2012 04:18 PM CDT
I thought it was going to get called Meta or metaphysical or something of that nature.

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/06/2012 09:34 AM CDT
You're thinking of Runecrafting, which has been renamed to Metaphysical Graffiti.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/09/2012 12:33 AM CDT
>> Ya. Lets give guilds who already have great skillset placements more incentive to use them.
>> Make it a lore/magic challenge.

It sounds like you took what he said as if he was were inferring that Survival primaries had something to do with what he said. ??? Huh?

I think he meant that it would be dangerous to 'beat' it. Like a mini-quest, almost.

>> I would like to see areas like this that arent that great for the regular grind but they have the potential to drop some really useful loot such as magic wands that do various things, rare gems and items, or 1 out of every so many is a special variety that has a unique pelt or antler etc that could be use in crafting. Make it a survival challenge to get there, put em on faraway islands or way out in hib in a cave up on some icy mountainside and maybe limit the items per character or item generation/time to be sure that they stay rare.

Sounds like a cool idea - DR doesn't have enough 'good' rare loot from drops. In fact, it's sorely lacking in this department - treasure maps are meh, you don't get good stuff on a consistent basis; I've found 5 maps and out of those, only 1 unique item(a chess board). Everything else was just recycled fest garbage. Nothing really useful.

And BTW - the plats/gems in the boxes from the maps are terrible - srsly, normal boxes can outdo 'em easily.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/09/2012 12:41 AM CDT
>>And BTW - the plats/gems in the boxes from the maps are terrible - srsly, normal boxes can outdo 'em easily.

While very high end boxes might be different, I can't say I normally come across boxes that contain 8-15 plat's worth of coins/gems.

Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/09/2012 05:31 AM CDT
>>And BTW - the plats/gems in the boxes from the maps are terrible - srsly, normal boxes can outdo 'em easily.

Yea, don't know what boxes you are opening out in dillos, but it takes me ~5 splitter boxes to get the amount of money one treasure map box contains. Assassin and Intercessor boxes might be a bit better, but I haven't heard of them containing 10+ plat a piece on average.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/09/2012 08:11 AM CDT
>>And BTW - the plats/gems in the boxes from the maps are terrible - srsly, normal boxes can outdo 'em easily.<<

The last treasure map I found, discounting the item, had almost 10 plat in coins and another 6 in gems. A super box that drops rarely might match that, but even intercessor boxes don't have that much in there.
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/09/2012 10:24 AM CDT
>>The last treasure map I found, discounting the item, had almost 10 plat in coins and another 6 in gems. A super box that drops rarely might match that, but even intercessor boxes don't have that much in there.

That may be true but I can find and pop 20 boxes probably before you find your map hiding spot! Har!

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Things that make hunting more interesting. 08/09/2012 11:41 AM CDT
Only when I get the one that's on Aesry, like my current one. The last few I looked for I had found within an hour of actually trying. :P
Prev_page Previous 1