'Quest' creatures 07/27/2011 07:53 PM CDT
This idea spawned from the economy discussion in general discussions.

What if there were far away areas that were difficult to find and still more difficult to access. A character would have to use their swimming, climbing, perception and other skills to enter the deepest part of those areas to find that one creature that rarely spawns and will probably kill you but that you can harvest a magnificent golden antler from if you are successful. These 'quest creatures' would be less rare at certain levels, and at high enough levels would be extremely rare to the point that many people would not even bother. However if you did bother and succeed to get one then it comes with a free alteration using the trophy that you found on your creature. And I am talking about a cool alteration, or maybe a custom title too. At lower levels a character could make a high-level income from the creature associated with their skill level if he or she stayed actively trying to find them and was willing to forego the experience gain of less lucrative creatures. I know this exists at some level in DR but I am talking about a very noticeable difference that is enticing enough to draw people to them. I am not sure how this could be done without people whining about spending hours killing lesser creatures and dealing with atmospheric issues trying to find a crystal elk but if it could be done I think it would be really cool.

The only thing this has to do with the DR economy is giving younger players a way to earn more cash, while not directly liquidating the upper end items(the GM merchant is the only person who can handle transactions of that magnitude), and if they didn't kill it they don't get to grill it, so to speak, or get the alteration (maybe if you are bonded or something it could be gifted once) They could sell their alteration but it would always be engraved with the earner's name in the look or something like that. How this would work to make it fair for non-combat guilds I don't know but someone can come up with something I am sure.
Re: 'Quest' creatures 07/27/2011 09:47 PM CDT
>At lower levels a character could make a high-level income from the creature associated with their skill level if he or she stayed actively trying to find them and was willing to forego the experience gain of less lucrative creatures.

In other games I have seen impliment similar mechanics it simply lead to the high-level chars camping the noob critters/areas/zones spam killing/looting everything.

Which is to say, I doubt very much it would lead to 'new low level chars' making coin in the methods you're suggesting, and would instead lead to...people camping the areas.

Perhaps it could be tied into the task-boss system though, since that dynamically asigns quests on player skill. I guess you could have a new NPC task type set up to account for survivals and combats, but I can't think of many combat zones with real survival checks not easily passed at-level, or straight bypassed.

Please remember: just because a post is 'new to you' doesn't mean we have any idea what you're responding to. Quotes is your friend.
Re: 'Quest' creatures 07/27/2011 10:30 PM CDT
>Which is to say, I doubt very much it would lead to 'new low level chars' making coin in the methods you're suggesting, and would instead lead to...people camping the areas.

That happening would simply suggest poor implementation of the area. Why would a high level character want to camp the area when they could be earning near the same amount while hunting something at level, and getting experience at the same time? And not have to go so far out of the way?
Re: 'Quest' creatures 07/27/2011 11:16 PM CDT
>>Why would a high level character want to camp the area when they could be earning near the same amount while hunting something at level, and getting experience at the same time?

Because sometimes the exp becomes less of a priority, and "get 1 gold kronar without effort" is a lot more attractive than "get 2 gold kronars with effort"

Could always have the "bring in the trophy for an award" thing be part of the task system, which scales with ability (in one way or another).
Re: 'Quest' creatures 07/28/2011 07:38 PM CDT
I wonder if there would be a way to implement a circle cap for the creatures in question? Because you would also see higher circle players helping out the younger ones to kill the creature, as you see in other games.
Re: 'Quest' creatures 07/28/2011 09:56 PM CDT
Isn't that rare quest drop idea partially in place already? What about treasure maps? It's not limited to younger chars, but it is known as a very rare critter drop and often leads to several plats upon completion.
Re: 'Quest' creatures 07/28/2011 11:22 PM CDT
I'm sure they if the put a "search" requirement in for the final boss room, they could set a circle cap on the room where you got a message like:

>search
You see a small opening in the brush, but it's so well traveled it couldn't be anything worth your time.

And btw, some of treasure maps are selling for 500 plat or so, so they aren't just "several plats".

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: 'Quest' creatures 07/29/2011 07:14 AM CDT
>And btw, some of treasure maps are selling for 500 plat or so, so they aren't just "several plats".

I believe the comment was about the contents of the box, now how much you could hock it for, since that is grossly variable.

Please remember: just because a post is 'new to you' doesn't mean we have any idea what you're responding to. Quotes is your friend.