Re: Big Critters on the Mainland 12/22/2010 04:45 PM CST
>It's like, there's more than one reason why I can't train well enough in DPs.

Mind if I ask what your reasons are, other than the area being only four rooms? I just tried them expecting to die and it was great.

~ Kougen
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland 12/22/2010 05:04 PM CST
>>Mind if I ask what your reasons are, other than the area being only four rooms? I just tried them expecting to die and it was great.

Usually I have to boost perception to see them 100% of the time, and when I use Eagle I'm stuck with just that buff to perception and ranged weapon. No buffs to defenses usually = instant death for me on a really bad roll. Parry training isn't all that great since I have stance down evasion and they're using ranged weapons. Stancing down sort of makes bad rolls a lot more noticable since they're using ranged weapons (I'm assuming they get an aiming bonuses?)

The spawn can be hogged fairly easily, especially if I use my warhorn like I do in adults all the time. Armadillos die slower because of their puncture/slice resistance and I can get more learning per critter. There is the escaping experience.

I think that's about it for me.

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 12/22/2010 05:09 PM CST
Please keep it on topic. Thanks.

If you have any questions, please email either myself (DR-Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net).

Sidatura
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 03:20 PM CST
Not necessarily a Big Critter compared to elder armadillo, but doesn't the maelshyvean sinister hierophant train 800-1000. if it does, then this critter can be hunted on the mainland.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 03:27 PM CST
<< Not necessarily a Big Critter compared to elder armadillo, but doesn't the maelshyvean sinister hierophant train 800-1000. if it does, then this critter can be hunted on the mainland. >>

Travelling all the way out to m'riss to hunt is less of a pain then getting into hierophants is.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 04:02 PM CST
Someone remind me how big is "big" again, for the mainland?

Solomon

Be our Facebook Pal!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DragonRealms/60215414412
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 04:11 PM CST
<< Someone remind me how big is "big" again, for the mainland? >>

I am sure that answer varies depending on who you ask.

For me, something in the juvie or adult dillo range. Basicly below heirophants and DP assasins, but above head-splitter zombies and malchata. That is one of the many gaps currently in mainland hunting.

Small celp level is likely filled with the new boar clan hunting, and even large celp with the same area. This did fill in some gaps nicely, but on the lower level of "big".
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 04:42 PM CST
<<Someone remind me how big is "big" again, for the mainland?

Juvie/adult dillo level please.

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 04:43 PM CST
>>Someone remind me how big is "big" again, for the mainland?

800-1000 that's skinnable pretty please, with a cherry.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 05:48 PM CST
>>Someone remind me how big is "big" again, for the mainland?<<

Something that teaches reliably from juvies-elder range.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 06:41 PM CST
<<Something that teaches reliably from juvies-elder range.>>

Preferred outside and skinnable, to balance the box-providing dragon priest assassins that are inside.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 07:00 PM CST
>>Something that teaches reliably from juvies-elder range.<<

I second this.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 07:18 PM CST
>>Something that teaches reliably from juvies-elder range.
>Preferred outside and skinnable, to balance the box-providing dragon priest assassins that are inside.

Tuskies seem good. Just sayin'

p.s. what happened to the wyvern hunting area that was supposed to be released near shard that was talked about at simucon?
~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 07:30 PM CST
<<Tuskies seem good. Just sayin'>>

When I stopped by there, I had problems with TM +800. This is not the case with assassins. But I'll definitely make another trip, it's been awhile.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 07:32 PM CST
What is tuskie short for?

__
~Leilond
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 07:41 PM CST
Juvie - adult - elder +

We are filling up elders now.

Crusader Taghz

DFA = DISC + AGIL + TM > Evasion + Reflex

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother...", William Shakespeare.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 07:42 PM CST
>>What is tuskie short for?

This'n maybe?

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Enraged_Tusky
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 07:42 PM CST
>>What is tuskie short for?

Tuskies are enraged tuskies, that's all there is.

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Enraged_Tusky

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 07:45 PM CST
lol thanks for the info. I thought it was too simple to be the right answer, guess that'll teach me.

__
~Leilond
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 08:49 PM CST
>Basicly below heirophants and DP assasins, but above head-splitter zombies and malchata.

?

There's a gap between malchata and DP assassins?

~ Pansophist Kougen

You search the Dragon Priest assassin.
The assassin was carrying some knee-high snakeskin boots and a medium red beryl!
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 09:29 PM CST
Elder +

Individuals, families, countries, continents are destroyed at the heavy hand of Vinjince.

-GM Abasha
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/10/2011 10:05 PM CST
>>Tuskies seem good. Just sayin'<<

Not for me. They don't teach anywhere near high enough for what we're looking for.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/11/2011 12:39 AM CST
>Something that teaches reliably from juvies-elder range.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/11/2011 06:30 AM CST
150-200 range

Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/11/2011 05:04 PM CST
Little Celps, Big Celps, Juvies, Adults, Elders (armidillos)

Thank you

Felicini
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/11/2011 08:11 PM CST
There could really stand to be something above sky giants in the vicinity of Theren or Lang.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/11/2011 08:18 PM CST
<< There could really stand to be something above sky giants in the vicinity of Theren or Lang. >>

Given the current distribution of high level hunting, IMO theren area should be the first area to get any new area.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/11/2011 08:31 PM CST
<<Given the current distribution of high level hunting, IMO theren area should be the first area to get any new area.>>

How do you figure? Just out of curiosity.

My personal vote would be for Leth, just because it's an amazing place that's pretty dead for hunting past germs and bone wolves.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/11/2011 09:18 PM CST
>My personal vote would be for Leth, just because it's an amazing place that's pretty dead for hunting past germs and bone wolves.

This would be my vote as well, not just because of an comparatively small amount of development, but also the proximity to pretty much everywhere.

~Jalich
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 02:34 AM CST
Solomon, with regards to what classes as "big", what I was looking for is something after 500 ranks really.

I'm not looking to end up at thousands of ranks, I have made the choice to roleplay in the orders above chasing ranks, but I would like to be able to get to 150th circle one day without having to spend a lot of my time on the islands.

I'm a warrior mage, so even getting TM for 150th circle, we only need a bit over 700.

I would say, keep it simple, take the top level gryphons in Rossmans, increase the spawn a little to match the young/babies, and make them train from 500 to 750. Also if possible, stop them stunning as much, I think thats why most people don't hunt in there.

After 750 ranks, most guilds would be covered to 150th circle, yes? Just the Paladin and Barbarian who would "need" more?

If thats possible, I would be a very happy little warmie ;o)

Thanks

Somni
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 03:43 AM CST
after 500 you still have dp sentinels, dp zealots, malchata, zombie stompers/maulers/splitters, and then assassins.

There's actually a pretty decent mainland creature ladder up through assassins which are right around elder dillos, I believe.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 07:00 AM CST
I think this goes back to Jerid's (I think?) request that something be added to the Theren area. The undead in Boar Clan do fill a large gap, but BC is a hike and a half for someone whose daily activities/RP exists in the Theren area. Also, the undead, other than togballs which are much lower level, aren't skinnable. This is what keeps me in celps rather than BC.

I generally hunt regular celps on 'Kresh. When I'm in the Theren area, my options are limited to a few things, each of which has a special attack that make it...less than fun to hunt. The big gryphons have thunderclap that stuns and the wing thing that knocks you over. Plus they fly a ton which makes melee training tiresome at best. Sky giants are decent, until they cast lightning bolt (What shield??). The stuff under the swamp is also around that level, but it's a royal pain to get in to, and the cinder beasts explode when they die (that hurts!).

I'm not saying there aren't options, just that they aren't really good, all around options. Big gryphons are good for training ranged, sky giants are decent if you have the evasion, but I know for me, by the time I have enough evasion to be 'safe' in there, they won't be teaching me much else.

Some solid, all around options in that mid range that don't take a half a day to get to (for someone without access to moon mages or boats) would be great.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 07:35 AM CST
Make friends with a gating Moonie who doesn't mind running to Siksraja. It's only a couple of minutes if you have the Climbing and Swimming, but that's pretty ambitious.

Or pester the GMs to allow the Forf-Therengia pass to be "rediscovered".

Tachid smugly exclaims, "Die midget!"
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 07:54 AM CST
I think having creatures of every level in every area somewhat devalues climb/swim/athleticism. Theren to BC is a 5 minute or so trip if you train your climb/swim. It's one of the very few perks of training those two skills. It can't be more than 20ish minutes fresh out of the character gen.

I can empathize with the islands being too far, but theren to boar clan? I don't know if I'm buying it.

Malchata fills the skinning need and is a celpeze replacement if you feel like that's a better choice then the boar clan undead.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 08:40 AM CST
>>Solomon, with regards to what classes as "big", what I was looking for is something after 500 ranks really.<<

You have malchata, spirit dancers, a bunch in stuff in Boar Clan, warklins, resuscitants(sp), mountain giants, storm bulls, and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting. For the 800+ range there's heirophants which suck to get into and don't teach well and dp assassins which really aren't great either. It's a start, but there's really not a lot for the upper level hunters. I'd like to be on the mainland sometimes and be involved in some RP, but the amount of travel to get to something that teaches well isn't worth it.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 08:50 AM CST
>Theren to BC is a 5 minute or so trip if you train your climb/swim
And you have thief Hax!

Running some timed runs on Kas. Granted 361 swimming seems to be higher than a lot of Therengians have, but shouldn't scew the time to much from anyone who can make the Jantspyre, and that only requires fairly moderate training even on a survival Tert.

Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 08:56 AM CST
<< after 500 you still have dp sentinels, dp zealots, malchata, zombie stompers/maulers/splitters, and then assassins. >>

There is definately a gap between head splitters and assassins. If I dance with a head-splitter for an hour my HP gets to 6 or so. But an assasin rips me to shreds pretty easily. splitters are a tad below super celps, and assasins are definately above juvies, thata a pretty big gap, and the one I personally would like to see filled.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 09:16 AM CST
>There is definately a gap between head splitters and assassins. If I dance with a head-splitter for an hour my HP gets to 6 or so. But an assasin rips me to shreds pretty easily.

What buffs are you using? Critter's making that exact critter jump and doesn't seem to have that big of a difficulty.

Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 09:18 AM CST
>>And you have thief Hax!

Uh?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Big Critters on the Mainland *NUDGE* 01/12/2011 09:37 AM CST
5th passage is a lot quicker than swimming the Sego, let alone the ferry.