Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/16/2010 08:25 AM CDT
Just say no to special attacks that have no skill check or at best an extremely skewed one.

With four of the tier 3 oshu at melee they cannot hit my character yet with just 3 at melee they can shave 18% vit off with the steam attack plus give a fatigue hit.

I wasn't surprised to find the area deserted when I popped in to hunt there today.
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/16/2010 09:05 AM CDT
> Just say no to special attacks that have no skill check or at best an extremely skewed one.

A few comments:

(1) The Oshu loot was set with the fact that they have a nasty special attack in mind. This is why they have been such a nice cash cow since the special attack broke.

(2) There are ways to substantially reduce the effects of the steam attack. Not the least of which is just moving out of the room until it fades away.

(3) It is a fairly rare attack and has a timer to prevent spamming. If you aggressively fight, you won't face steam attacks very often. Oshu are -not- a "dancing" critter. They -are- a critter specifically designed with elemental users in mind.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/16/2010 11:58 AM CDT
> They -are- a critter specifically designed with elemental users in mind.

Are you just referring to ES, or do bards have something to mitigate the steam too? Maybe Mere?
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/16/2010 12:42 PM CDT
>Oshu are -not- a "dancing" critter.

They are/were hands down the best critters for training defenses in the whole realms IMO.

I would dance with them for as long as I could stand to and then kill the ones I had before leaving. Not exactly a cash cow but I can see how they could become so. If you are killing them that quickly though then they are still going to become cash cows so making folks kill them quicker is only making that problem worse.

I won't stop hunting them til they stop teaching me shield, which will be a while. I suppose now instead of just standing there and making a gold or two an hour, I will start piling up the plats.

Also, why only elemental users? Aesry is such a pain to get to that few enough folks visit as it is, without shutting out another chunk of potential hunters. The safe spot by oshu has been a popular social spot for some time now.
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/16/2010 03:23 PM CDT
> Also, why only elemental users? Aesry is such a pain to get to that few enough folks visit as it is, without shutting out another chunk of potential hunters. The safe spot by oshu has been a popular social spot for some time now.

They are hardly elemental only. However, those particular critters were designed with elemental users in mind. This is not a new thing in DR -- we have quite a few critters and/or areas created with specific guilds, magic types, or skillsets in mind.

The vitality damage from the steam isn't really avoidable save through a couple of specific spells -- you are standing in a cloud of scalding steam, after all -- but it is also not really a threat in and of itself unless you ignore stamina completely. On the other hand, there is at least one way available to everyone to reduce the heat damage to the body.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/16/2010 04:01 PM CDT
<<On the other hand, there is at least one way available to everyone to reduce the heat damage to the body.

Bone/Cloth armor?

Nikpack

The gods are jerks. No, really.-Armifer

I don't think we ever take the training wheels off as players or gamemasters.-Inauri
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/16/2010 04:04 PM CDT
> Bone/Cloth armor?

Armor would be the correct answer, yes. The better the protection from heat, the less the steam will scald you.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/16/2010 04:19 PM CDT
Cloth armor (at least the ones I've appraised is not that awesome against heat, they rather rock against cold).

It'd really like to see some type of wool armor (supposedly naturally fire resistant [note: not fire proof]).

Nice to hear places were made for specific guilds and or skillset. Going to keep that in mind while I continue to move about hunting grounds.

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 09:01 AM CDT
>>Cloth armor (at least the ones I've appraised is not that awesome against heat, they rather rock against cold).

Flammable items tend to be less protective against heat.

Just throwing that out there.
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 09:07 AM CDT
So you're telling me that if I run through a fire, the cloth armor stitched with dried twigs that's been soaked thoroughly in copious amounts of naphtha that I'm wearing won't protect me? :(

- Phalanx Korsik Rippentropp, Vindicator of M'riss

Baum says to Lillietta, "Problem is that Korsik is a very big boy."
Lillietta says, "He is mentally unstable."
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 09:10 AM CDT
What armor is good against heat? I can't imagine Chain or plate doing very well. Leather? Bone?
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 09:11 AM CDT
>>What armor is good against heat? I can't imagine Chain or plate doing very well. Leather? Bone?

You feel certain that a skull mask bearing a pair of sharpened horns appears to impose fair maneuvering hindrance and insignificant stealth hindrance, offering:
fair protection and fair damage absorption for puncture attacks.
high protection and moderate damage absorption for slice attacks.
low protection and low damage absorption for impact attacks.
high protection and good damage absorption for fire attacks.
low protection and low damage absorption for cold attacks.
high protection and good damage absorption for electrical attacks.

Eh I guess? That's a bone mask right there.

- Phalanx Korsik Rippentropp, Vindicator of M'riss

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 11:09 AM CDT
Certainly not leather.
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 11:17 AM CDT
>>What armor is good against heat? I can't imagine Chain or plate doing very well. Leather? Bone?

Chain armor is surprisingly good against it.

You feel certain that some flat black greaves appear to impose insignificant (1/8) maneuvering hindrance and light (2/8) stealth hindrance, offering:
good (5/11) protection and good (5/11) damage absorption for puncture attacks.
moderate (4/11) protection and good (5/11) damage absorption for slice attacks.
good (5/11) protection and good (5/11) damage absorption for impact attacks.
moderate (4/11) protection and moderate (4/11) damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate (4/11) protection and moderate (4/11) damage absorption for cold attacks.
low (2/11) protection and moderate (4/11) damage absorption for electrical attacks.

But yes, bone is probably the best. Leather is an odd case. Boiled leather, like cuirbouilli, should provide pretty good protection against fire, but the templates don't support the properties of leather vis-a-vis how it handles being set on fire as well as they could.
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 11:30 AM CDT
<<Certainly not leather.>>

Bone looks good here but for leather wearers who haven't trained bone, firecat leathers are slightly better on fire resistance than azure-scaled. For tanned reinforced coat wearers, cave troll would be best.

A weeping willow reads:

"Under the branches of this holy tree.
I offered my love unto thee.
I held you in my arms so tight.
Then, with a simple kiss our hearts took flight.
Blessed by the gods were we.
All with a simple kiss under this sacred tree."

A vile plague wraith glides into view, carefully searching for intruders.
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 01:47 PM CDT
> (3) It is a fairly rare attack and has a timer to prevent spamming. If you aggressively fight, you won't face steam attacks very often. Oshu are -not- a "dancing" critter. They -are- a critter specifically designed with elemental users in mind. [GM Dartenian]

So when you say fairly rare...are you meaning once a minute? Or once every 5-10 mins? I just had 2 oshus hit me with steam approximately 5 times in 1 minute. I didn't ignore stamina - I have 35. It had me down to very beat up - fortunately, I can cast VH. Just checking to see if that's the appropriate "timer" on them.

- teh Phantom Raudhan
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 02:01 PM CDT
Heyo!

Were you in the same room, or moving around? Once a steam cloud is generated, they should not be able to create another in that same room for at least a full minute. If they are creating more than one per 1 minute period in a given room, something is definitely still broken.

With that said, each steam cloud does not pulse immediately, and will linger at least two pulses. That's one reason I mentioned that the steam attack is completely avoidable by an alert player. But this also means some folks may mistake a single steam cloud as up to three separate attacks (the initial formation, which does no damage, and two damage-dealing pulses later).

But in any case, if there is more than one steam cloud in the room at a time, something is broken. Do let me know if this is happening. If more than one NEW cloud is formed in the same room in under a minute, something is also wrong and I need to know.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 02:49 PM CDT
> Were you in the same room, or moving around? Once a steam cloud is generated, they should not be able to create another in that same room for at least a full minute. If they are creating more than one per 1 minute period in a given room, something is definitely still broken.

I was in the same room. Is that each oshu can only create one steam cloud in one room for the minute? So if I have three oshus, there can be three steam clouds? If it's only one steam cloud per room per minute, then they are definitely still broken.

I'm cleaning up a log, but I'll post it once the extraneous stuff if gone. Or you can find my in oshus right now under a different character name. I think I'm the only one in here.
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 04:24 PM CDT
>What armor is good against heat? I can't imagine Chain or plate doing very well. Leather? Bone?

Well, chain/plate are supposed to include the leather/cloth padding backing, so it would stand to reason that they'd be better at protecting from direct and indirect heat. The metal should block direct flames from combusting the flamable backing, while the padding should act as an insulator for the metal.

Or at least that's my take.
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 04:38 PM CDT
what a wonderful way to kill yet another great creature.

oh! wait! Lemme go backtrain some 150ish ranks in a REALLY shoddy armor set, just so I can hunt semi effectively in a good training area...

or should I try and eke out a few ranks here and there in my primary armor, and forget I ever went to oshu?

When are we going to have a decent critter, or a really good training critter, that DOESN'T get nerfed/tweaked/have some retarded special ability making them unhuntable to the general public?

"Never steal from someone carrying more weapons than you have lessons in evasion."

No Ranger Stands Alone
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 04:48 PM CDT
Armadillos are actually a great hunting critter IMO. Gryphons too, and celpeze are decent once you get over the aiming penalty. There are some gaps, but good critters do exist.

Going back to when I started this character, I recall few issues until getting to hatchlings and black/red leucs, none of which spawned well enough for me. Grass eels and bloodvines were especially good.

"I am well versed in being a Warrior Mage. Cast Thunderclap. Throw weapon. If miss, report the target for cheating."
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 04:58 PM CDT
I'd be willing to bet they aren't unhuntable. Tougher to hunt, sure, but not unhuntable. There are a ton of other critters in that range if you don't like the changes.
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 05:25 PM CDT
> When are we going to have a decent critter, or a really good training critter, that DOESN'T get nerfed/tweaked/have some retarded special ability making them unhuntable to the general public?

This is not a nerf/tweak. It's a BUG fix. They have had steam attacks from day one, as well as other special attacks. Over the years, those -have- been nerfed to make them playable, but given how they teach and pay, they are NOT going to remain with a broken special attack like this. They pay and teach so well -because- of the risk/inconveniences involved. It's as simple as that.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 05:28 PM CDT
> I'd be willing to bet they aren't unhuntable.

They are not even remotely close to unhuntable. They are not particular friendly to dancing unless you have high stamina and/or decent armor, but they are certainly huntable assuming you are in the right general range to be there in the first place.

- GM Dartenian

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 10:24 PM CDT
I think part of the issue is that any "good" creatures exist, making any special attack unbearable. By this I mean, you get used to grass eels, caracals, and celpeze in the hunting ladder, and you aren't going to be happy when malchata start casting fireball. There's the separate issue of special attacks not teaching defensive skills nor scaling particularly well (see: moneygrubbers which stunned me with 99 reflex and 930 evasion).

Speaking of celpeze, don't they have a bugged special attack? Pretty sure they're supposed to poison people.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/17/2010 10:25 PM CDT
>>Speaking of celpeze, don't they have a bugged special attack? Pretty sure they're supposed to poison people.

How dare you, sir.

- Executioner Korsik Rippentropp, Sociopath of M'riss

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/18/2010 07:03 PM CDT
If you're a chain wearer, you're not out of luck with the oshu steam attack or other heat-based attacks. You just have to get the right forged item. All my LC and HC Augmented Hauberks have H/G with fire resistance:

ARMOR PUNC SLIC IMPA FIRE COLD ELEC WGT HIND STRENGTH LIRUM KRONAR
LC Augmented Hauberk H/H G/H M/H H/G M/G P/G 380 stones Mod/Mod Fairly Sturdy 48 60
HC Augmented Hauberk 1 G/H G/H M/H H/G M/G P/G 400 stones Mod/High Well Constructed 32 40
HC Augmented Hauberk 2 H/H G/H M/H H/G M/G P/G 400 stones Mod/High Fairly Sturdy 48 60
HC Augmented Hauberk 3 H/H G/H M/H H/G M/G P/G 510 stones High/High Well Constructed 36 45
HC Augmented Hauberk 4 H/H H/H G/H H/G M/G P/G 690 stones Great/High Well Constructed 48 60

More good news is forged LC and HC gloves are all G/M with fire resistance.

I used to make the LC Augmented Hauberk at 385 stones. I don't think any other forger has ever sold it at that weight. Since then I've been experimenting and gotten a mix down to 380 stones. I'm still tweaking, but 380 stones is the current standard. No need to make or buy anything heavier.

Due to an arrangement with another forger I had previously sold my LC Augmented Hauberk for 60 plat lir or 75 plat kro. That arrangement is now expired, so I'm dropping the price back down to what I originally wanted to charge and what I think is a more fair price: 48 plat lir or 60 plat kro for the 380 stone LC Augmented Hauberk.

Actually if you're thinking of purchasing a 240 stone LC Chain Hauberk, I'd seriously consider the LC Augmented Hauberk instead. It's heavier but better all around.

My forged chain is sold by Ciressa at the Riverhaven Trader tables. From town hall it's north, go building, up. She's changing her market days to Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with a possible weekend day. Currently she's suspended her trading during the festival, but she has told me she will resume Monday the 24th. She has told me I may give her screen name out so that you can contact her with questions about her current stock or ordering. Her screen name is Katyaska. I'm also looking for a Crossing trader to carry my forged chain as well.

The augmented hauberk is light chain.

The hauberk looks like it offers protection for the following areas:

right arm
left arm
right leg
left leg
chest
abdomen
back

You feel certain that an augmented hauberk appears to impose moderate maneuvering hindrance and moderate stealth hindrance, offering:
high protection and high damage absorption for puncture attacks.
good protection and high damage absorption for slice attacks.
moderate protection and high damage absorption for impact attacks.
high protection and good damage absorption for fire attacks.
moderate protection and good damage absorption for cold attacks.
poor protection and good damage absorption for electrical attacks.

If you were only wearing an augmented hauberk you could expect your maneuvering to be lightly hindered and your stealth to be insignificantly hindered.

You are certain that the augmented hauberk is fairly sturdy, and is in pristine condition.

The augmented hauberk is made with metal.
The augmented hauberk is somewhat pliable.
You are certain that the augmented hauberk weighs exactly 380 stones.
You are certain that the augmented hauberk is worth exactly 3500 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Kaxis
www.tinyurl.com/kaxisforgedarmor

A weeping willow reads:

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/18/2010 08:04 PM CDT
>I used to make the LC Augmented Hauberk at 385 stones. I don't think any other forger has ever sold it at that weight. Since then I've been experimenting and gotten a mix down to 380 stones. I'm still tweaking, but 380 stones is the current standard. No need to make or buy anything heavier.

Uh, appraisals are a range.

>describe boar
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/19/2010 12:19 AM CDT
<<Uh, appraisals are a range.>>

Yes, Cop, I am aware appraisals are a range. Thank you for assuming I'm so ignorant of such basic DR information.

I do everything I know to insure I forge a quality product. I have a maximum version of the LC Augmented Hauberk I keep as a standard. Every time I forge a lower weight version I compare the new piece to the same range of armors I used to test the heavier hauberk. The 380 came out looking the same as the heavier one.

Is it a perfect method? No. Does it show me exact numbers? Of course not. Could there be minute amounts of drift I'm not detecting? Could be. But I'm not sure what else I can do to investigate more thoroughly. If you have some constructive ideas for how I can improve my QC technique, I'd be eager to hear them. All I'm trying to do is provide a better product at affordable prices so more players can take part. If you can help me do that, I'm with you.

I'll be honest. I enjoy reading your posts. You're an intelligent guy, you reason very well, you're articulate, and you're amazingly knowledgeable about a lot of systems in DR. You contribute to these boards more than most, and I've learned many things over time from your posts. I hope to read many more.

The only thing I might suggest is you work on that little "snarky" thing you sometimes let creep into your tone whereby you let other people know your first assumption is they cannot possibly be as clever or intellectual as you. It's not very dignified.

Kaxis

http://www.tinyurl.com/kaxisforgedarmor

A weeping willow reads:

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/19/2010 03:07 PM CDT
You said there was no reason to go over a certain weight. That's completely false. The rest of your post was fine.

>describe boar
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/19/2010 03:13 PM CDT
By the way, your original post touched a nerve because I hate how forgers in prime focus only on the word appraisal, rather than talking about the trade-offs. I mean, once you hit the skill cap, it's all a trade-off. So yes, there's no need to go heavier on the armor if you care about the word that's displayed when you appraise the armor. If you care about actual protection, however, the game is checking a number and more is better.

>describe boar
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/19/2010 11:15 PM CDT
I do understand what you're saying. Yes, the lighter we make a piece of armor the more likely it will lose some of its advanced qualities. Its numbers will keep moving down the damage scale. You could make something so light it becomes worthless junk.

I'm sure you know this, but others might not. If you take a 240 stone LC Chain Hauberk, which is the popular one today at least in Prime, and a 399 stone LC Chain Hauberk, and compare them to a wide range of other armors, you will absolutely see differences. No more than a +1 over 159 stones, but you are correct about that. The 240 is less hindering but also has less protection and absorption in various stats. As you say, I don't think everyone is aware of this. Most people probably think they're getting a full-power LC Chain Hauberk at 240 stones.

<<You said there was no reason to go over a certain weight. That's completely false.>>

Not necessarily. It all depends upon how large the forging weight intervals are and where they begin and end. If the 10 point scale we always see is accurate, then we know it's not a drop of 1 damage point per 1 stone lost of armor weight. Otherwise the 240 LC Chain Hauberk would have such huge negative damage numbers that it might amplify incoming damage rather than decrease it.

Rather it looks more like it takes a certain amount of weight in stones removed from forged armor before you get 1 point of actual damage reduction loss. How many stones isn't something I've investigated directly. But from my past appraisal and comparison work it looks like with an armor item the size of an LC Chain Hauberk it might take a weight reduction of around 20-25 stones, and maybe more, to trigger a loss of 1 defensive point somewhere on the hidden damage scale. That 20-25 isn't a magic number here but it'll for example purposes.

The question is really when the weight intervals begin and end. If they end at the maximum weight, then the loss of a single stone from 399 to 398 would trigger the 1 point loss on the damage scale. Then in another 20-25 stones would be another point loss and so on. If instead it begins at maximum, then the full amount 20-25 stones would have to be removed before the first 1 point loss is triggered. In this case my 380 LC Augmented Hauberk could easily be identical to the full version, since it hasn't yet been made light enough to trigger a damage reduction.

This example is highly generalized. I think the actual picture is much more complex than this because not every stat in the 240 drops compared to the 399. Others might be dropping but maybe not as much as others and so don't show up in the comparisons. And not all stats might be affected equally by weight. It's something that would take a lot of effort to sort out, and the systems are to be rewritten soon anyway from what I understand. So doing it now would be pointless. Doing it at all might drive someone insane.

<<If you care about actual protection, however, the game is checking a number>>

This is true.

<< and more is better.>>

This is true only if you add enough stones to surpass the next forging weight threshold and trigger a point gain of damage resistance. If you never reach that threshold then the gained stones are only making the armor heavier and maybe more hindering. Reverse logic with losing stones from an armor piece.

<<your original post touched a nerve because I hate how forgers in prime focus only on the word appraisal>>

I agree completely. But I never said I focus only on the word appraisal. By itself, appraisal is very misleading.

Kaxis

A weeping willow reads:

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/19/2010 11:24 PM CDT
And yes this is way off topic now.

Kaxis

A weeping willow reads:

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/20/2010 11:36 AM CDT
>If the 10 point scale we always see is accurate, then we know it's not a drop of 1 damage point per 1 stone lost of armor weight.

It isn't accurate, which was the entire point of my post.

>describe boar
Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/20/2010 12:39 PM CDT
No, your point was something else entirely. And it was mistaken.

Okay, I'll just take the hit for not being a good explainer, but we need to stop before we get hit with off-topic warnings.

Sorry, Sidatura and Annwyl. I'm done.

Kaxis

A weeping willow reads:

Re: Nipoh Oshu: Turning up the Heat 05/20/2010 03:51 PM CDT
yes,celpeze use to have a nasty poison attack,you got stung by thier tail or something and it could kill you fairly quickly.