Re: Tuesday Tidings - 59 - Xala'shar (Part 2) 04/06/2021 08:49 AM CDT
I'm okay with creatures having a high accuracy attack, or an attack that requires players to do something to defend against it (enter a command, train a particular skill, buff up for a contest, or use magic/sorcery). But why are creatures getting an attack with no defense? Does armor at least help mitigate the damage?
Re: Tuesday Tidings - 59 - Xala'shar (Part 2) 04/06/2021 10:00 AM CDT
All of the special attacks can be defended against, though one can only be defended against with Evasion (which pretty well puts paid to Paladins hunting them at-level, but is probably okay for others, depending on the tuning.)
Re: Tuesday Tidings - 59 - Xala'shar (Part 2) 04/06/2021 04:39 PM CDT
Fantastic update, thanks a ton. I've been wanting to move up to the shredder/archer/overseer tier for a bit now but previously found it not to be worthwhile. My first trial with it post-update has been quite successful. The special attacks seem to be pretty reasonable now; I seemed to have a slightly better than 50/50 avoidance rate on the overseer attack (wasn't actually counting by any stretch of the imagination), but getting hit by it here and there wasn't massively problematic. When I had two of them attacking me, I got as low as 88% spirit health remaining, so not too bad. I do have one of those spirit regenerating censers though, so that helped. The archers and shredders didn't successfully hit me at all over the course of my hunt. As a point of reference, my appraisals of the various creatures over the course of the hunt put their offense in the -3 to -7 range compared to my defenses, so my high success rate matched expectations.

Thanks in particular for monsterbold-ing the "light hit to your spirit" bit of the overseer messaging.

The only potential oddness that I found was when the overseers use their special attack against the other creatures. I'm not sure if it's failing to fully resolve the attack or that's just the complete failure message even though it looks like something's missing:

A hulking Xala'shar overseer slams its foot into the ground as it begins to vent a thick cloud of smoke, surrounding its heavily armored frame in a choking mass of black.

Moments later, the Xala'shar overseer emits a metallic roar as the black smoke suddenly coalesces into the ghostly silhouette of a humanoid figure, which speeds towards a hulking Xala'shar shredder!

I did see a shredder manage to hit another creature with its attack, so that one worked. And the archers were trying but unable to hit the other creatures with theirs; I didn't see any messaging quirks there.

Thanks,
Bastion of Life Karthor
Re: Tuesday Tidings - 59 - Xala'shar (Part 2) 04/06/2021 10:00 PM CDT
The missing messaging from overseers fighting other creatures should be fixed now! Thanks for the heads up!

Zadraes