Re: Spawn Improvements 09/25/2013 08:13 PM CDT

>I've increased the spawn rate and improved the odds of player and creature meeting one another in storm bulls and for peccaries on the island (in M'Riss).

Storm Bulls are currently not spawning at all, been waiting about 20 minutes in Prime all alone, there are none.

Also waiting in the premium assist queue.

Thanks.
Re: Spawn Improvements 09/25/2013 08:20 PM CDT
Bah. Prime, Platinum, Dev, TF - One of these four was not like the others (For some weird reason). Guess which one it was?

Anyhow, it's fixed now.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Spawn Improvements 09/25/2013 08:25 PM CDT

Alright, Raesh got it hammered out, everyone come get your storm bull on.
Re: Spawn Improvements 09/25/2013 08:51 PM CDT
Any chance orcs near Rossman's could get a similar poke?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Spawn Improvements 09/27/2013 11:24 AM CDT
Cool, thanks.

It's hard to tell for sure after a single session, but my initial impression is that the storm bulls actually seem to be doing a worse job of finding me than they did before. This is with nobody else in the area; could something have gone haywire, or did I probably just run into some bad luck?

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Spawn Improvements 09/27/2013 11:39 AM CDT
That seems unlikely but I can't check while at UnCon.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Spawn Improvements 10/29/2013 05:00 PM CDT

After playing around with this for about a month, it's not any better that it was previously. Sorry.

If there's two PCs 1 gets 3 storm bulls which they [probably] aren't killing because they're there to train defenses and the other PC gets 1 every two minutes, which is horrible because they're there to train weapons.

Honestly this is a big problem with a lot of hunting areas. Especially the ones that have upwards of 20 rooms.

Was really hopeful this update would really fix it and then the update could be applied to a dozen or so other areas, but no.

Re: Spawn Improvements 10/29/2013 08:13 PM CDT
>>If there's two PCs 1 gets 3 storm bulls which they [probably] aren't killing because they're there to train defenses and the other PC gets 1 every two minutes, which is horrible because they're there to train weapons.

That should leave several storm bulls unaccounted for. I just double checked the settings.

>>Was really hopeful this update would really fix it and then the update could be applied to a dozen or so other areas, but no.

Huh? This was just tweaking the spawn rate of a specific hunting are, the same as I've done to a half dozen others as they've been flagged.

-Raesh

Re: Spawn Improvements 10/29/2013 10:40 PM CDT

<<Huh? This was just tweaking the spawn rate of a specific hunting are, the same as I've done to a half dozen others as they've been flagged.>>

Orcs in rossmans I hope!?!?
Re: Spawn Improvements 10/29/2013 11:15 PM CDT
>>Orcs in rossmans I hope!?!?

Care to elaborate?

-Raesh

Re: Spawn Improvements 10/29/2013 11:37 PM CDT
>>Care to elaborate?

Orcs in rossman's seem to spawn 3-4 per person in the area, but if you're like me you're the only onein the area and you tend to haev to work really harder than normal to find them.

For what it's worth, I'm a big proponent of setting the normal raiders to that "spawn where the player is" mode and just having the clan-chief spawn where ever.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Spawn Improvements 10/30/2013 03:00 AM CDT
I took a peek at orcs, the spawn rate is fine they're just not very good at finding players. They should be better at that now.

-Raesh

Re: Spawn Improvements 10/30/2013 09:23 AM CDT

Awesome thanks. I'll go check it out right now!
Re: Spawn Improvements 10/30/2013 09:33 AM CDT
Orcs seem to be working much better, thanks again, I do notice you still don't really want to be in the attic, storeroom or servant quarters (the three rooms at the top of the manor house). Not sure if they just don't spawn from those rooms as much or what the deal is.

The second floor is awesome.
Re: Spawn Improvements 10/30/2013 10:55 AM CDT
Something else is a little screwy in Orcs, if someone someone gets more than 3 in their room, the spawn tanks for everyone else.

I usually just go kill their orcs and it clears up, but I can't imagine this is going to end well in the long run.
Re: Spawn Improvements 10/30/2013 11:03 AM CDT
Everything looks right on the spawn to me - I don't see anything that would cause the behavior you're describing (Any more than any other 3:1 spawn rate hunting area).

What you might be seeing (I don't know the area that well, so I didn't tease out the specific detail) is the same thing that you see in sky giants where the size of the hunting area results in the spawn rate being slightly better if one, and only one, person hunts there. It's a weird little quirk I found buried deep in the spawn code and not something that I can control on a hunting area by hunting area basis.

-Raesh

Re: Spawn Improvements 10/30/2013 01:29 PM CDT
I just want to say I've found storm bulls to be a lot better and huntable when other people are there. I may go a bit without one if I'm killing quickly, but I haven't had any problem with multiple bulls finding me.
Re: Spawn Improvements 10/30/2013 02:55 PM CDT

HUNT
You take note of all the tracks in the area, so that you can hunt anything nearby down.

To the northeast, northwest:
1) a storm bull

To the southwest, northwest:
2) a storm bull
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull

Roundtime: 8 sec.
R> ASS
You assess your combat situation...

R> HUNT
You take note of all the tracks in the area, so that you can hunt anything nearby down.

--) Signs of something hidden from sight.
1) a storm bull
2) a storm bull
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull

To the east, south, southeast:
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull

R> ASS

R> HUNT
...wait 1 seconds.
> HUNT

To the east, south:
1) a storm bull

2) a storm bull
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull

To the southwest, southeast, southeast:
6) a storm bull

R> ASS

> HUNT

1) a storm bull
2) a storm bull
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull

5) a storm bull

To the southwest, south, southeast:
6) a storm bull

R> ASS

R> HUNT

>

1) Baeleth
2) a storm bull
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull

6) a storm bull

To the southwest, south, southeast:
7) a storm bull

R> ASS

R> HUNT

1) Baeleth
2) a storm bull
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull

To the northeast, southeast, south:
6) a storm bull

To the southwest, southeast, southeast:
7) a storm bull

R> ASS

> HUNT

To the northeast, southeast:
1) a storm bull

2) Baeleth
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull

7) a storm bull

R>
You feel an itching sensation around your right hand, left arm, and right arm.
You feel slightly better.
R> ASS

> HUNT

To the northeast, southeast:
1) a storm bull

2) Baeleth
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull

7) a storm bull

R> ASS

> HUNT

To the northwest:
1) a storm bull

2) Baeleth
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull

To the southwest, southeast, southwest:
7) a storm bull

R> ASS

> HUNT

To the southwest, southeast:
1) a storm bull

2) Baeleth
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull

To the northwest, north:
7) a storm bull

R> ASS

> HUNT

To the southwest:
1) a storm bull

2) a storm bull

3) Baeleth
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull
7) a storm bull

R> ASS

> HUNT

To the southwest:
1) a storm bull

2) a storm bull

3) Baeleth
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull
7) a storm bull

R> ASS

> HUNT

To the northeast:
1) a storm bull

To the southwest, south:
2) a storm bull

3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull

R> ASS

>
You've gained a new rank in using crossbows.
> HUNT

To the east:
1) a storm bull

To the southwest:
2) a storm bull

3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull

R>
You feel an itching sensation around your left arm, and right arm.
You feel slightly better.
R> ASS

> HUNT

1) A hidden Baeleth
2) a storm bull
3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull

R> ASS

> HUNT

To the northeast:
1) a storm bull

To the southwest, south:
2) a storm bull

3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull

R> ASS

> HUNT

To the southwest:
1) a storm bull

2) a storm bull

3) a storm bull
4) a storm bull
5) a storm bull
6) a storm bull

R>
Horns lowered, a storm bull charges into the area.

That's 136 seconds for one storm bull to come into my room. You can even see in the middle where they de-spawned instead of locating a player.
Also you can see its never more than 3:1 spawn rate.

So what exactly has changed?
Re: Spawn Improvements 10/30/2013 03:13 PM CDT
Storm Bulls use to be a static 5 bulls period (It was actually more complex than that, but that's close enough) and didn't scale to the number of people there.

Also when I say "I've fixed an are to make creatures more likely to find players" this has nothing to do with the actual movement AI. Once they're spawned they're going to wander on their own power. What I mean is I've increased the chance that the critter actually spawns in the room with a player as opposed to in a room without a player.

-Raesh

Re: Spawn Improvements 10/30/2013 03:43 PM CDT
Alright, thanks for the replies and the effort.

I'll just look for something else to backtrain on.

Something more fun.
Re: Spawn Improvements 10/30/2013 11:17 PM CDT
>>I took a peek at orcs, the spawn rate is fine they're just not very good at finding players. They should be better at that now.

My big thing was where they spawned not how many spawned, so woo!

This is awesome and I look forward to going there. Thank you!

Re: Spawn Improvements 11/08/2013 01:47 AM CST

Could you have a look at the giant black leucro's also please?

I took out my compendium and was able to study all 10 charts till I could not study them anymore today while 1 other hunter danced(not killing) 4 and a second hunter did the same with the other 2 in the area.... keep in mind this was before the deadfall not with vipers.
Re: Spawn Improvements 12/23/2013 12:53 PM CST

>After playing around with this for about a month, it's not any better than it was previously.

After playing around off and on with this for another two months it's definitely not any better than it was prior to any of these "improvements".

I know everyone is busy with other, better stuff, but maybe in a few years I will have convinced someone to try again.
Re: Spawn Improvements 02/02/2014 05:40 PM CST
Reviving this thread (I know you GM's are busy with 3.1 stuff now, but...), why can't every hunting area be like celpeze? I'm sure the question has been asked before, but, I mean look at this:

To the northeast:
1) an asaren celpeze

To the northeast, northeast:
2) Vandergrift
3) an asaren celpeze
4) an asaren celpeze
5) an asaren celpeze
6) an asaren celpeze
7) an asaren celpeze

R> ASS

You (nimbly balanced) are facing an asaren celpeze (4) at melee range.
An asaren celpeze (1: nimbly balanced) is flanking you at melee range.
An asaren celpeze (2: nimbly balanced) is behind you at melee range.
An asaren celpeze (3: off balance) is behind you at melee range.
An asaren celpeze (4: very badly balanced) is facing you at melee range.

(You are also defending against an asaren celpeze.)

That is why people love them, you generally don't wait on spawn, and if you dance for defenses (or just an empath and can't/don't kill) it doesn't harm others hunting in the area. Not to mention they love to swarm in packs (A pack of 5 celps will show up, A pack of 3 celps will show up, etc).
Re: Spawn Improvements 02/03/2014 06:55 AM CST
now, if only they weren't in a justice area.... :-)

<<If I can't cast thunderclap, you can't summon the dark lord of the abyss to devour the flesh of the innocent>>