Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 11:23 AM CDT
Hi Raesh. It's pretty neat what you're doing with tweaking the spawn of various creatures. Huzzah for that. While you're at it, do you think you could take a look at the Sky Giant area? That area's rather peculiar...it spawns 4 creatures if there's only one character there, but only 3 per character if there are more. And they're amazingly bad at finding characters. I think kicking the spawn to just be 4 per character and making them better at finding people would go a long way in improving the area.

Thanks,
-Life Sustainer Karthor
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 12:14 PM CDT
>>While you're at it, do you think you could take a look at the Sky Giant area? That area's rather peculiar...it spawns 4 creatures if there's only one character there, but only 3 per character if there are more.

I don't see any reason it would behave this way, but I can confirm it is. Interesting -- I'll need to dig further.

As for the rest -- I'll have to check with the area owner.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 12:23 PM CDT
How about just turning off tusky spawn in stompers/maulers (not sure about headspliters, as not hunting them yet).

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 12:27 PM CDT
>>How about just turning off tusky spawn in stompers/maulers (not sure about headspliters, as not hunting them yet).

Yes Please? Love the area, hate the tusky.
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 12:32 PM CDT
Any chance we can get an area only for tuskies?
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 12:48 PM CDT
While I understand the desire for higher level hunting on the mainlands, a Tusky hunting area would not be consistent with the lore of the place.

As for turning off the Tusky spawn; I'm not a fan. There is only one at a time, he has a slow spawn rate, no ranged attacks and the other creatures don't have any cc attacks. I struggle to see him causing any significant problems to anyone hunting there if they are paying even the slightest bit of attention to their surroundings.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 01:49 PM CDT
>As for turning off the Tusky spawn; I'm not a fan. There is only one at a time, he has a slow spawn rate, no ranged attacks and the other creatures don't have any cc attacks. I struggle to see him causing any significant problems to anyone hunting there if they are paying even the slightest bit of attention to their surroundings.

I thought it was more an annoyance issue, having to retreat or vacate till it despawns or is killed or something if you can't kill it somehow, since it's bigger. I know I avoid mixed areas because it's not much fun to run room to room avoiding stuff.
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 01:54 PM CDT
>>he has a slow spawn rate

I dispute this, or we have different measures of 'slow'.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 01:57 PM CDT
>>I thought it was more an annoyance issue, having to retreat or vacate till it despawns or is killed or something if you can't kill it somehow, since it's bigger. I know I avoid mixed areas because it's not much fun to run room to room avoiding stuff.

As near as I can tell, it doesn't despawn. I tried this one night, where I vacated the area (was getting fed up with him spawning like 10-15 min after I just killed him, multiple times), and left the area, in differing times(waiting 1 min, 5 min, 10 min, 15 min). EACH time, all stompers deswpaned, the tusky did not.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 02:54 PM CDT
<<a Tusky hunting area would not be consistent with the lore of the place.>>

It was a funny topic a couple years ago on this subject of a tusky hunting ground in the 500+ Creature folder. Starts with this post and has like 9 posts in it:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Creatures%20of%20Elanthia/Creatures%20over%20500%20Ranks/view/105

Gist: to bypass the one mascot limit, we came up with the idea that the boars were bred in a corral from where one would be selected as mascot for each game. When the games were discontinued the boars all died in the corral and are now undead, slipping out once in a while through the old, decrepit fence that has a few holes in it. The corral itself could be the main room in the area. Further, there would be a graveyard or sorts where all past generations of tuskies were laid to rest and from which they are now rising as undead.

The current hunting areas could remain as a togball game still in progress by undead players who have no clue it's been game over for a while. The new addition would be the tusky corral and graveyard.

My guess this will never happen since it sounds like higher mainland hunting areas are going in other directions, but we did come up with a plausible lore adjustment. Seemed like a fun idea at the time.

Kaxis

>You tap a hooded huckleberry hound-pelt cloak that you are wearing.
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 03:42 PM CDT
I just want something skinnable that teaches me offenses on the mainland. Is that so bad? :(
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 04:29 PM CDT
Tuskies are skinnable:

>You tap a huge noisome tusk inside your leather backpack.

but pretty sure Pendus is too far above them. Definitely need Wyverns.

Kaxis

>You tap a hooded huckleberry hound-pelt cloak that you are wearing.
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 04:48 PM CDT
I've never had too much problem with tuskies. While they can be annoying, like Raesh said, if you are paying attention they can be handled. I do feel for characters like Apu who have no offense or defense buffs to help with them.
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 04:50 PM CDT
Raesh, I use that premie area in boar clan and would appreciate segmented hunting (ex: head-splitters only). Also, thanks for everything you're doing to alleviate the HLC hunting squeeze.

Squanto: think they'll make it so we can swim to the islands?
Codiax: probably not but who knows
Squanto: maybe moonwalk faster on the iceroad with enough reflex, athletics & xibar up?
Codiax: lol yeah totally. have to sing ice ice baby to make it work
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 04:51 PM CDT

The problem I ran in to with tuskies was more about their special 'attack' (that isn't so much an attack) than anything. Their 'stomp' is SO unbalancing that it really tended to leave me open to attacks from whatever zombie I was hunting. So while I was focusing my attention on killing the tusky, I was standing there unbalanced with 2 or 3 maulers taking advantage of the opening. I never found them hard to kill or otherwise problematic once I was hunting in there full time.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 05:07 PM CDT

Oh, right, the premie area. I know there are people who use it and like the mix. Personally I don't love it only because 2 out of the three variations don't really teach defenses, specifically MO and shield, for me. But that's a personal preference for where I'm at now. I do think that compared to other mixed hunting areas that one is actually more useful, considering the overlap between the three zombies.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 06:07 PM CDT
>>Personally I don't love it only because 2 out of the three variations don't really teach defenses, specifically MO and shield, for me. But that's a personal preference for where I'm at now. I do think that compared to other mixed hunting areas that one is actually more useful, considering the overlap between the three zombies.

This (sort of).

Mixed level (especially with such a large gap) hunting doesn't work, because when you're on the low end, one high end critter and boom you're dead. When your on the high end, every critter that's on the low end detracts from being able to actually learn.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 09:35 PM CDT
>>Additionally in the non premium head-splitters/stompers/maulers I've increased the spawn ratio.

/cry

^tear of joy

(and possibly of pain after 3.0, but man this is a good change to not be screwed over by what other people in the area are doing)

Apu
_
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Apu
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/13/2012 09:55 PM CDT
>>As for turning off the Tusky spawn; I'm not a fan. There is only one at a time, he has a slow spawn rate, no ranged attacks and the other creatures don't have any cc attacks. I struggle to see him causing any significant problems to anyone hunting there if they are paying even the slightest bit of attention to their surroundings.

I'm also not a fan of removing tuskies (mostly because of "I had to walk uphill both ways in the snow, so you should too" syndrome), but let's all agree on one thing - tuskies in stompers (and to a lesser extent maulers) ARE a very significant problem to anyone hunting there. Yes if you are paying attention you can just run away and leave the area, but this is especially not very fun since tuskies to NOT despawn, ever.

Rather than remove them altogether, perhaps a better change might be to just make them despawn whenever everyone leaves the area, so at least there is always a surefire way for any player paying the slightest bit of attention to their surroundings to "deal with" them. Also perhaps it might be nice to make them more likely to spawn in head-splitters and less likely to spawn in stompers, leaving the overall spawn rate the same but skewing it towards people who actually like to see tuskies show up.

I also really like the idea of a tusky hunting ground, or even better yet a hunting ground with half head-splitters, half tuskies, but I guess I buy the argument that it doesn't fit the lore of Tusky as a mascot

Apu
_
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/14/2012 12:45 AM CDT
>>Yes if you are paying attention you can just run away and leave the area, but this is especially not very fun since tuskies to NOT despawn, ever.

I'll think about it. I see the point people are making, and I guess that gives you a way out if you are all alone. But it also seems like a weird work around.

Just so we're clear, I understand why people don't like it. It doesn't quite play the role I think it should be playing, but it's not that far off. Giving you guys an occasional challenge in a hunting area is something we like. I also like the idea of "rare spawn bosses". But I can see how it can be frustrating, particularly when it pops up in maulers or stompers.

A few possible approaches I'm mulling over (and remember, I don't have the final say in this. I don't own the area, I'm just freelancing):

Lower the spawn rate

Let him despawn easier

Let him only spawn in the higher end creatures

Enhance his AI so he can cross between the hunting areas.

-Raesh

Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/14/2012 01:00 AM CDT
I don't really have a stake in this (in other words I don't really care either way) but I think keeping them out of stompers might be a decent compromise if possible. I think for the most part once you're in splitters the tuskies aren't much of a threat. If you're hunting maulers at level they still pose a challenge/threat without being overwhelming.

~Katt

Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/14/2012 01:11 AM CDT
>>I don't really have a stake in this (in other words I don't really care either way) but I think keeping them out of stompers might be a decent compromise if possible. I think for the most part once you're in splitters the tuskies aren't much of a threat. If you're hunting maulers at level they still pose a challenge/threat without being overwhelming.

That's probably a good compromise I'd say. If you're in maulers you can probably deal with a tusky without being forced to run away, and if you can't then you can always just run away and fight stompers instead until it's gone (unlike stompers hunters who would have to fight nothing until it's gone)

Apu
_
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/15/2012 10:45 AM CDT
Having had an extended period of time to play with the stomper tweaks I have just one thing to say.

<3 Raesh.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 07/15/2012 10:45 PM CDT

You know, a place that could use a good spawn uptweak is ship rats. Every time I make a new guy it is frustrating as heck trying to lock defenses or even get them moving if you arent in the one good room and dancing with 4 of them. I dont know about others, but starting right out the gate is pretty painful.
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 09/08/2012 01:33 PM CDT
>>As for turning off the Tusky spawn; I'm not a fan. There is only one at a time, he has a slow spawn rate, no ranged attacks and the other creatures don't have any cc attacks. I struggle to see him causing any significant problems to anyone hunting there if they are paying even the slightest bit of attention to their surroundings.

Any chance you could double check on this. Just had him spawn 3 times within 30 min (and this is the second time I've seen that).

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 09/16/2012 10:02 PM CDT
Couple weeks ago stompers had two at the same time when I HUNTed...

Meigs
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 10/21/2012 06:24 AM CDT
Raesh, in further response to my post (https://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Creatures%20of%20Elanthia/Responses%20to%20GM%60Official%20Announcements/view/352 ) can you please check out the tuskies again? This time there are two of them:

[Boar Clan, Derelict Togball Field]
Trash accumulates upon the ground in staggered clumps, blown onto the grass by errant winds or simply discarded by careless spectators of the past. The corners of a few benches tossed onto the field jut through the tangle of brambles slowly invading the area. Sticky mud underfoot emits immodest sucking sounds as people and creatures traverse the turf.
You also see an enraged tusky, an enraged tusky and a precarious pile of busted bleachers.
Obvious paths: north, northeast, east, southeast, south.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 10/21/2012 10:18 AM CDT
Hmm, I'm not sure how that's happening but I have some other changes to that area lined up -- I just haven't had time between HE and 3.0 projects. I'll make sure to review the Tusky thing when I'm down there.

-Raesh

Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 10/21/2012 04:39 PM CDT
If tuskies are too strong then I can see where that's a problem, but they do teach skinning better than anything I've ever tried (never gone to dillos) With 500 ranks and no arranging, skinning a tusky bumps me 2 mindstates at a time.

Kaxis

>concentrate on my journey

You are too busy concentrating on your journey to do that.
Re: Creature Spawn Tweaks 10/28/2012 10:45 PM CDT
Any chance of a tweak up in ice adders? working on 400 hundred now and my medallion is still taking souls.

The bucket burbles suddenly as its contents begin to dissolve....

Suddenly it spits out some niniam field plate onto the floor.