*IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/21/2010 02:13 AM CDT
Heyo!

Many special attacks in the game have not been working for a year or more now. Several others have been acting strange or otherwise not doing what they were intended to do. Others were simply too effective for their level.

The following updates will be live as of 2:30am Friday in Platinum and Prime. TF will follow tomorrow if nothing major explodes.

Please note that these changes only apply to those special attacks that use the core Special Attack system. While most critters are now updated to use this system, there are still a few that use specialized hard-coded special attacks, and those will be addressed as they are identified.

(1) Special attacks should now observe basic combat rules and restrictions, such as not being usable in safe rooms, or against targets that are not normally eligible for combat.

(2) Special attack skill ranks should now scale much closer to the critter's standard attacks. In one or two cases, this may actually be an upgrade. In most cases, this will either have very little noticeable change (they were already set in that range) or be a reduction in the effectiveness of these attacks. In a few cases, a very severe reduction in the effectiveness.

(3) The default system for choosing targets for special attacks has been altered from a completely random choice to using logic similar to normal attack AI. Note that this only applies to default targeting; several special attacks do use custom target acquisition logic, and these will not be affected.

Here is a list of critters currently updated for these fixes. A few more will follow in the next day or two:

Ghouls
Nipo Oshu
Scavenger Trolls
Vipers
Dinego
Skunks
Storm Bulls
Dobek Moruryns
Skeletal Sailors
Boas
Malchatar
Unyns
Westanuryn
Germish'din
Lachs
Wir Alyden
Frost Bears
Angiswaerd
Death Squirrels
Crags & Tendrils
Scythewing moths
Bone Mastiffs
Blood Wraiths
Forest Gryphons
Wormwood Vines
Bloodthorn Vines
Retch Fiends
Plague Wraiths
Stone Throwing Imps
Snow Hawks
All Dragon Priest varieties
Black Goblins
Evil Traders
Tree Toads

In addition, several critters from quests were updated.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams
Re: *IMPORTANT* Special Attack Bug Fixes 05/22/2010 01:30 AM CDT
Heyo!

The Scavenger Trolls have had their weapon-snatching skill reduced somewhat.

A few more critters have been updated:

Amalgams
Gremlins
Gestalt Draugens

...and a couple of other critters that aren't live (yet). Mwahahaha!

Just a quick reminder --

All these fixes apply only to critters on the core special attack utility, specifically because of bug fixes in that utility. Creatures with hard-coded special attacks will not be affected, and are not being addressed at this time. I know a lot of folks are tossing out critters they think need to be fixed, but the first priority for those critters is to get them on the core system. In the Big Picture (tm), the biggest priority overall is to get the core system working right first!

We'll be looking at the rest of the critters once we have the critters on the list in my previous post and in this post working right first.

- GM Dartenian

Though my soul may set in darkness it will rise in perfect light. I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night! - Sarah Williams