What to skin? 06/21/2007 02:39 AM CDT
Is there a "what to skin" guide out there in the internet tubes like the "what to hunt" guide? I've noticed that some critters are harder to skin than they are to kill, and I'm having a difficult time figuring out what I should be skinning next.

Player of Seducati.
Re: What to skin? 06/21/2007 12:50 PM CDT
Skinning ranks? Can't exactly help if we don't have an idea of what your skinning now and what you should be skinning next? Depending on what your skinning, if they are scrapable, find a scraper and go to town. It'll work both skinning and mech lore. But ranks would be helpfull.

~Dalkin~
Re: What to skin? 06/21/2007 01:20 PM CDT
Right now I have 67 ranks in skinning, and although I'd greatly appreciate getting an idea of what I could skin to work on it while I hunt, I was hoping that someone somewhere might have put together a guide on it just to save some time.

Is box difficulty the same as critter difficult, or is it like skinning where sometimes easy critters have very hard boxes?

Player of Seducati.
Re: What to skin? 06/21/2007 01:31 PM CDT
I'd say boxes are much more in line than skinning with needed combat ranks. However, moreso than this, I'd say that Amagaim's WTH, although maybe not so accurate for combat advice anymore given recent tweaks, seems to be a really good indicator of box difficulty.

As far as skinning goes, I know you're looking for a list, but I'll tell you now, scraping rock troll skins will take you a pretty long way. I lock easily with 90 ranks still. They're 4 scrapes instead of 3 like most pelts.

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: What to skin? 06/21/2007 01:39 PM CDT
Oh, I know scraping skins is the best way to learn skinning, the reasons I don't do it are:

1) I spend a lot of time hunting, so it would be most efficient for me to learn skinning while hunting,

2) I'm lazy.

I figure before we could scrape skins, a bunch of oldbies figured out a way to learn skinning from skinning, so even if it's not as fast as scraping, I'd like to be able to do that.

Thanks for the info on boxes, too. I've been on a serious backtraining binge lately but boxes scare me because I hate blowing up. :(

Player of Seducati.
Re: What to skin? 06/21/2007 01:44 PM CDT
At those ranks, I'd say find an area that swarms, in which your case, I would recommend Blood Wolves. With a big enough swarm, you should mind lock skinning pretty easy. If not blood wolves I would think possibly Giant Wolf Spiders maybe? Or Arbies, just watch out for the occasional Young and Scout Ogre's.

~Dalkin~
Re: What to skin? 06/21/2007 02:14 PM CDT
If you're having problems skinning stuff, then use a LE to skin, if you're skinning stuff easily, then try using a HE or 2HE to boost exp.

~Purehand
Re: What to skin? 06/21/2007 02:15 PM CDT
I just wanted to say that my hunting guide over at www.drplat.com has flags for skinnable critters. You can search on skinnable critters and get a quick list of what's out there. Its true that the list is only as accurate as the people helping me with it, and most are lacking actual rank numbers... but feel free to fill in the blanks :P Any help is appreciated!

P.S. ranks for skinnable/box droppeing critters are for commoners w/o bonuses.

http://www.drplat.com - The DragonRealms Platinum Community Website. Be sure to vote DragonRealms as your #1 MUD!
Re: What to skin? 06/21/2007 02:27 PM CDT
What the 'oldbies' used to do is hunt with a partner in a swarming area and skin all the kills. And when they could no longer learn from using a knife, they would start skinning with larger blades. A few times, I've even used the spiked maces that young ogres drop to skin with- but that doesn't work any more.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: What to skin? 06/21/2007 02:31 PM CDT
>If you're having problems skinning stuff, then use a LE to skin, if you're skinning stuff easily, then try using a HE or 2HE to boost exp.

This brings up a question I've often wondered. Do ranks in LE play any factor in skinning when using a skinning knife?

Axillus - Halfling Warrior Mage
>You charge your steel-toed footwrap at a musk hog.
Re: What to skin? 06/21/2007 02:59 PM CDT
>>This brings up a question I've often wondered. Do ranks in LE play any factor in skinning when using a skinning knife?

Nope. :)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy