Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/08/2003 08:59 AM CDT
What exactly? Ex. a boobrie is level 8. Is this just an arbitrary unit of difficulty or does it correlate somehow to weapon ranks or circle?

-M
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/08/2003 09:02 AM CDT
8th level creatue equates to a 8th level barbarian or there abouts. Many of the levels in the beastiary are not correct anymore though with the changes throughout the years.

Brabs

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/FatherJarle/index.html

Live by the shield, die by the shield.
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/08/2003 09:03 AM CDT
The bestiary is very out-dated and inaccurate to the point of being hazardous as a guide to critter difficulty. You would be better off asking on the boards about different critters.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/08/2003 02:27 PM CDT
That's a shame, because otherwise it's pretty neat. Wish it was updated.
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/08/2003 03:14 PM CDT
I agree. I understand Damissak was going to try to get to it in his spare time- but he's gone so that's out of the question.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/10/2003 07:33 AM CDT
Sorry if this is going to sound a bit like a rant, but the out-of-datedness of the Beastiary has been sticking in my craw for awhile. The Mages can't have someone assigned to update it regularly, whenever a new creature is introduced or a change made? The format is already there, the hard work would seem to be done. I would think it would be just a matter of a simple update. But then again, what I know about computer code couldn't fill a thimble. I realize there are in-game priorities that need to get fixed first, and they're awfully busy introducing new things with the Hot Summer Nights ::announcing the 27th new Barb roar of the Summer!:: but this seems that it would be very helpful to many players. Ryeka is right, if it wasn't for the boards, we'd be flying blind.

R.
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/10/2003 04:14 PM CDT
Actually, I believe one person stated that they simply use the guide as a refference. They find a critter they are hunting, or have recently outgrown, and simply look for one a level or two above it.

One potato. Two potato. Three potato. Pork.
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/10/2003 04:20 PM CDT
I'd like to see a bestiary with the following information for each critter in the game, and alphabetized.

Crittername
Skinnable?
Stabbable?
Undead or evil? <i.e. affected by Harm evil spell>
Hard Cap level trainable for weapon/armor/TM/hiding
Critter location<s>
Other <special attacks:poison,bone-throwing,etc>

~Weak of arm,lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead,cause you cant do more;
lost your coins,on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/10/2003 08:12 PM CDT
Well, this doesn't have everything you want, Gonif, but it does have some...

http://users2.ev1.net/~petermccue/scripts/critters.html

Yes, it's still very rough. Tough.

To be a book-collector is to combine the worst characteristics of a dope fiend with those of a miser.

- Robertson Davies, "The Table Talk of Samuel Marchbanks"
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/21/2003 02:25 AM CDT
Which! is why these boards exist. Got a question on a creature, ask. They'll send you to the rigth folder and you wont go dying.

This gunship is agile, mobile, and hostile! - Methan Itchies
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 08/21/2003 06:20 PM CDT
I've been quoted! I'm special.

Not everyone knows about the boards, or uses them even if they do know about them. It's alot easier to point someone at a web site through a whisper. There's a couple sites out there http://users2.ev1.net/~petermccue/scripts/critters.html#pgfId=1048773 and http://www.jerrybear.com/content/family/clericcritters.html that have some information. The latter has some cap info for targetted magic.

I say go for it Thilan. I've currently got two younger characters (one hasn't even capped goblins yet) so if you want help send an email to my play.net addy. I keep notes of this sort of thing anyway.

Brother Heroiklim Zortal
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/02/2003 09:20 PM CDT
Train appraisal...what? TRAIN YOUR APPRAISAL AND APPRAISE THE CREATURES YOU FIGHT. Seriously, train your appraisal and appraise the creatures you fight. Then you don't have to rely on more than general knowledge....I hear blah blah blah lives over a rock and down a slip 'n slide. Go over there and appraise it. Learn your limits and what attacks are most dangerous against you...meaning if you don't use a shield....missile attacks are bad. If you use leather, slicing and poking is not so fun. You get the idea.

I am --- Navak
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/02/2003 09:30 PM CDT
>Learn your limits and what attacks are most dangerous against you...meaning if you don't use a shield....missile attacks are bad. If you use leather, slicing and poking is not so fun. You get the idea.

Don't use a shield? Shoulda been a mage and retreat for a living. :-)

~Kodiac

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent, but you'd be a fool to withhold that from your superiors."
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/03/2003 12:58 PM CDT
>> Train appraisal...what? TRAIN YOUR APPRAISAL AND APPRAISE THE CREATURES YOU FIGHT. Seriously, train your appraisal and appraise the creatures you fight.

Hmm, that's some good advice there. I think I will take it to heart, but I think that this is in addition to, not in lieu of gathering informaton from all other sources, this forum included. After all there are some creatures whos realms I shouldn't even be venturing into. I've learned that the hard way more than once. I could get killed in the RT it takes me to appraise a crit.

Anyway, not to dwell on the drawbacks. This is a good idea, and gives me a reason to train apprasial, which for the most part I find mostly useless.
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/03/2003 04:17 PM CDT
Try to appraise <critter> quickly. It may not be as accurate as normal or careful, but it will give you a 3 second RT, rather than the normal round times.

Ryeka

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/05/2003 02:38 PM CDT
Appraisal: 127 56% bewildering

You are certain that the yvhh la'tami is healthy.
The yvhh la'tami has a serious wound.
You are certain that it is about as agile as you are.
You are certain that it is about as quick to react as you are.
You are certain that it is rather weaker than you are.
Taking stock of its offensive abilities, and defending with a scimitar and holding an ironwood targe, you are certain that the yvhh la'tami is a worthy opponent.
Taking stock of its defensive abilities, and attacking with a scimitar, you are certain that the yvhh la'tami is a simple opponent.

Train appraisal, i'll have 250 before 70th circle. Its awesome. If its under 100 ranks, use gem pouches. When you reach 100 ranks, or perhaps even before 100, begin hardcore apprsiaing creatures. Its one of the few skills you can lock on a creature that doesn't kill it.

Methan

"I like my women like I like my coffee, Covered in bees!"
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/05/2003 03:21 PM CDT
I still lock in three apps of my gem pouch nearing 150 appraisal, but it's tert for me. I'll have 200 appraisal before 50th easy.

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

"Resist. Unlearn. Defy." - Incubus
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/05/2003 03:32 PM CDT
I hit 125 appraisal (secondary), and I got rid of my untied gem pouches. They were heavy and blew my item count way too close to the 500 mark.

Combat's the best way to keep it moving for me now, though I can improvise with Shields of Light.

-Syralon
Cleric of Ushnish
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/05/2003 05:32 PM CDT
I think it all depends on what you do. I'm a barb. If i'm not dancing with my girl, i'm dancing with a critter. For hours upon hours. Pouches aren't that convient for that situation. Give me 1 creature, even a goblin, for 5 hours i'll move apprisal 2 ranks.

Methan

"I like my women like I like my coffee, Covered in bees!"
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/06/2003 04:17 PM CDT
Pouches move me from clear to clear with 187 appraisal with lore as tert.

I am --- Navak
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/07/2003 01:14 AM CDT
Appraise em quick, Navak.

-Sarvatt's player
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/07/2003 10:28 AM CDT
I've been appraising them quick since like 100 ranks in appraisal or less. Heh. Oh and for people that don't know, the amount that the creature exceeds your abilities increases the difficulty in getting a successful appraisal.

I am --- Navak
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/07/2003 09:30 PM CDT
>> Oh and for people that don't know, the amount that the creature exceeds your abilities increases the difficulty in getting a successful appraisal.

ah.. So if I get the message that I couldn't look at it long enough to determine it's abilities... I should probably run?
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/07/2003 10:16 PM CDT
no, you also get that when you don't have many ranks in appraisal. i've had "starter" characters get that on shiprats. :-)

~Weak of arm, lousy roars;
terrible aim, awful health;
broken fingers, no real stealth;
leave em dead, cause you cant do more; lost your coins, on the floor;
greetings! now you're out the door~
>
Re: Bestiary Levels mean.... 09/08/2003 09:41 AM CDT
However, if you're like me with nearly 190 appraisal and I can't even get confidents with a careful, I leave the area.

I am --- Navak