Bone Wyverns 07/07/2019 08:41 AM CDT
There appears to be a change to how exp is learned in combat with a variety of strikes no longer teaching. Skimming, glancing, brushing, gentle, harmless, grazing, and ineffective to name a few. Putting the special attacks aside this makes bone wyverns utterly unhuntable as its impossible to gain weapon exp on them. Hunting with 1715 2HE 120 str and a haralun two handed sword;

R> attack

< You slice a haralun two-handed sword at a bone wyvern. A bone wyvern attempts to evade.
The sword lands a skimming strike to the wyvern's left leg.
[You're winded, adeptly balanced and in superior position.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
R>
RT with no EXP.

attack
< You draw a haralun two-handed sword at a bone wyvern. A bone wyvern fails to evade.
The sword lands a skimming strike to the wyvern's left hand.
[You're hurt, winded, solidly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
!R>
RT with no EXP.

!> attack

< You slice a haralun two-handed sword at a bone wyvern. A bone wyvern fails to dodge.
The sword lands a harmless strike to the wyvern's left leg.
[You're hurt, winded, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 4 sec.]
!R>
RT with no EXP.
Re: Bone Wyverns 07/07/2019 08:46 AM CDT
Also to test more than 1 weapon or attack type, HT

> hurl

< You hurl a senci spear at a bone wyvern. A bone wyvern attempts to evade.
The spear lands a gentle hit to the wyvern's right arm.
The spear falls to the ground!
[You're winded, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 6 sec.]
R>
RT with no EXP.

hurl wyv
< You hurl a senci spear at a bone wyvern. A bone wyvern attempts to evade.
The spear lands an ineffective strike to the wyvern's right leg.
The spear falls to the ground!
[You're winded, solidly balanced and have slight advantage.]
[Roundtime 5 sec.]
R>
RT with no EXP.

> lob

< You lob an oak-hafted legionary's pilum carved with the image of a shrike at a bone wyvern. A bone wyvern attempts to dodge.
The pilum lands a grazing strike to the wyvern's left hand.
The legionary's pilum falls to the ground!
[You're winded, solidly balanced with no advantage.]
[Roundtime 3 sec.]
R>
RT with no EXP.
Re: Bone Wyverns 07/09/2019 08:17 AM CDT
It's not just bone wyverns. We posted here

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Combat%20-%20Weapons%20and%20Armor/Bugs/thread/1905401

But got no response.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: Bone Wyverns 07/09/2019 01:51 PM CDT
We've been investigating. It is related to a change that was meant to have been released in 2016 that likely fell through the cracks, and is disproportionately affecting bone wyverns because of their copious amounts of damage resistance. Grazing attacks are currently not generating xp and this is currently being considered intended, with my apologies that it blasted onto the scene in an abrupt way instead of something we were aware wasn't working / could be announced.

This, of course, has some repercussions. Bone Wyverns need a review now and some players' training styles will need to adjust to account for actually killing creatures. This is a bad week to hash out specifics on-line, however, as many of us are going to be in St. Louis (I'm leaving to travel in less than 2 hours). I can talk to folks that'll be at Simucon regarding lingering concerns, otherwise it's something we'll need to visit in more detail next week.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Bone Wyverns 07/09/2019 05:26 PM CDT
Thanks for the info. I want to point out it also has significant ramifications for low spawn hunting areas. Before you could at least make some of them tolerable by slowing your kill rate. Honestly I’d rather be killing so please consider bumping spawn rates in places like adult wyverns.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: Bone Wyverns 07/11/2019 08:14 AM CDT
>>Thanks for the info. I want to point out it also has significant ramifications for low spawn hunting areas. Before you could at least make some of them tolerable by slowing your kill rate. Honestly I’d rather be killing so please consider bumping spawn rates in places like adult wyverns.

Wyverns are already on the hit list for a change, just a matter of if it's gonna happen like imminently or if it'll take a few days until everyone is back from Simucon.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Bone Wyverns 07/11/2019 09:33 AM CDT
Honestly, this has pretty big ramifications across the entire hunting ladder. Being able to train with zero damage hits helps people who are nearing the soft cap of a creature. Removing xp from no damage hits doesn't feel like a QOL improvement in our favor, but rather an incentive to buy spawn increasing items like the HE egg from last year. It still takes skill to hit the creature, so I'm not sure I understand why this was an intended change.