The Bucca-Rocky Transition 05/03/2015 12:00 PM CDT
So, I've been climbing the hunting ladder (with a focus on box-droppers) and I got into malodorous bucca, and promptly started getting beat to high heaven, which I figured was just because I was wearing crappy armor and getting into bigger critters. I stayed there until my mid-to-upper-sixties in defenses, at which point the skills would get to 1/34 and stay there, even with four bucca on me, so I figured it was time to leave. Still though, even with only getting my defenses to dabbling, they would do significant damage. Again, I assumed faulty armor.

But now I'm in rock trolls, and they are getting me to 17/34 easily (I can lock if I dance long enough) but they hardly even scratch me. I haven't switched armor yet, so I know that's not the reason. It just seems like bucca, even when I was at the top of their defense-training range, were way strong. That, or rock trolls are way weak, which is not how I remember them.

I guess what I'm wondering is if a) anyone else has encountered this, and b) if bucca need to have their strength decreased or rockies need theirs increased.

And, if neither critter is to be adjusted, I think that bucca should have their treasure drops increased to account for the added risk of hunting them relative to their skill range. Actually, it might be a good idea to up their treasure anyhow, since they occasionally explode and don't drop anything, and can't be skinned.

I

"[A]ll PC necromancers are now redeemed good guys..." ~ GM Raesh
Re: The Bucca-Rocky Transition 05/03/2015 10:06 PM CDT
I've been hopping between the two myself (also mid-sixties) and haven't been having the same problems.

What armor are you wearing? What race? What are your stats? What guild? What weapons are you training? What STANCE are you using (did you forget to change it recently)?

I've only been wearing torso armor and a shield and have never had to leave either bucca or trolls due to damage.

I agree, though, bucca could definitely drop more boxes/coins. The payout is crap.

Not GENT
Re: The Bucca-Rocky Transition 05/03/2015 10:55 PM CDT
Bone mask, heavy plate sleeves, chain lorica (store bought), and brigandine greaves. S'Kra Mur Bard with 17-20 in everything, using primarily a swappable LB/2HB and a SB in the offhand. 80evas, 60shield, 40parry stance. Nothing on that list changed between Bucca and Rockies.

I

Re: The Bucca-Rocky Transition 05/04/2015 06:47 PM CDT
I've personally taken rock trolls entirely out of my hunting ladder. I've been very unimpressed with them. I quite liked buccas and didn't experience damage problems (a silk hauberk with storebought chain and plate accessories). I use 100/80/0 stances, though, and switch between shield and parry.

Rock trolls just lacked oomph entirely, though. Felt lame to fight, although I realize that's entirely a qualitative experience. Narrow range range of usefulness, too, though--many skills petered out far too quickly. I think they may be huntable with lower ranks than before and don't teach nearly as high.
Re: The Bucca-Rocky Transition 05/04/2015 07:48 PM CDT
>Rock trolls just lacked oomph entirely, though. Felt lame to fight, although I realize that's entirely a qualitative experience

Are they still having all kinds of problems being magical?

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: The Bucca-Rocky Transition 05/04/2015 07:51 PM CDT
Creatures in general are terrible spellcasters right now.

I know how to fix it, and have approval to fix it, but "write functional AI" hasn't bubbled to the top of the list yet.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: The Bucca-Rocky Transition 05/04/2015 09:22 PM CDT

Am I the only one reading that as expect critters to mercilessly kill you in the future?
Re: The Bucca-Rocky Transition 05/04/2015 10:19 PM CDT
>> Am I the only one reading that as expect critters to mercilessly kill you in the future?

Given the number of times that Magic, Combat, or in fact all of DragonRealms has undergone significant changes, I'm no stranger to this song and dance. It's always basically the same: something changes, critters suddenly are awful at magic, it gets put in the "soon" pile for a while, then pops up as fixed out of the blue and all magic-using critters immediately regain the respect they lost. So, yes, many critters are going to mercilessly kill us, once their magic is back.

I