(no subject) 12/01/2013 04:22 PM CST
What is the point of these...was backtraining...shield 175, evasion 189 leather 121 using aether cloak and es.....(which seem useless)

A fire maiden gestures at you.
Your dark mantle of aether flutters angrily as if caught in a sudden wind.

The fire maiden winks and points at you.
Several shards of elemental flame fly at you!

Your ethereal shield crackles with energy!
The fire shard glances off your shield.
The fire shard glances off your back, singeing it a little.
The fire shard glances off your chest, singeing it a little.
The fire shard glances off your left arm, singeing it a little.
>
A fire maiden gestures at you.
Your dark mantle of aether flutters angrily as if caught in a sudden wind.

The fire maiden winks and points at you.
Several shards of elemental flame fly at you!

The fire shard glances off your left leg, singeing it a little.
The fire shard glances off your right leg, singeing it a little.

2 maidens less than 30 seconds

Your body feels very beat up.
Your spirit feels full of life.
You have some minor abrasions to the head, some minor abrasions to the right arm, some minor abrasions to the left arm, some minor abrasions to the right leg, some tiny scratches to the left leg, some minor abrasions to the chest, some minor abrasions to the abdomen, some minor abrasions to the back.
You have no significant injuries
knocked me down to less than 50% health

how are at level characters supposed to hunt these....same with Atik which I am at level for but cannot hunt either.....

Confused warmage
Re: (no subject) 12/01/2013 04:46 PM CST
You need magic defense to hunt magic using creatures. Throw up a strong AC and watch them burn...

That said, creature TM seems really accurate and powerful these days.
Re: (no subject) 12/01/2013 06:42 PM CST
Don't forget VoI and pathway Defense if you have it, all of these will stack with ES and AC. I agree the effect of ES is hard to notice, maybe it's more useful against the rare element-only spells like LB?

What do your stats look like? Any deficiencies in your stamina or reflex?

Because Necromancers.
-TEVESHSZAT
Re: (no subject) 12/01/2013 07:52 PM CST
If I'm not mistaken, creature TM is broken beyond the pale at this point in time, and it wouldn't really matter what his stats/skills are, they're going to hit and hit hard without a block/barrier.
Re: (no subject) 12/01/2013 08:02 PM CST

Strength : 37 Reflex : 30
Agility : 32 Charisma : 20
Discipline : 30 Wisdom : 28
Intelligence : 30 Stamina : 32

Concentration : 167 Max : 167

not sure i would call deficiencies in either

confused warmage
Re: (no subject) 12/02/2013 08:06 AM CST
You need to use Lay Ward against TM using monsters.
Re: (no subject) 12/02/2013 08:39 AM CST
While I agree that Lay Ward solves the problem, it's more a band aid solution. I don't know if critter TM damage just isn't scaling right or if the "well, you'll always be hit at times" formula is taking critter TM under proper consideration, or if the lack of general elemental protections in armor being what they are finally shining through.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: (no subject) 12/02/2013 12:04 PM CST
Last I heard these guys were among the broken TM creatures...I had the same problem with goblin shamans on a character well above their level.
Re: (no subject) 12/03/2013 09:06 AM CST
I'm not disagreeing that TM casting creatures need to be looked at and that there's a problem with them, but in its current form Lay Ward lets you hunt them.
Re: (no subject) 12/03/2013 12:26 PM CST
If AC isn't reflecting TM back you need to cast it higher. Lay Ward to AC is like comparing a Kia to a Cadillac

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror
Re: (no subject) 12/03/2013 09:45 PM CST
Ones a cyclic ones not. Ones just for WMs ones for every caster. One is Esoteric the other is basic, if he can even cast AC its going to be min prep.
Re: (no subject) 12/03/2013 10:36 PM CST
Unless your mana management skills are awful, there's no reason not to cast both, and every other defense you can.

Because Necromancers.
-TEVESHSZAT
Re: (no subject) 12/04/2013 08:19 AM CST
>Unless your mana management skills are awful, there's no reason not to cast both, and every other defense you can.

I'm assuming it is based on the ranks the OP posted.
Re: (no subject) 12/04/2013 06:00 PM CST
Yeah he would have a hard time putting up a decent AC, but it seems like even a min prep AC should help out quite a bit if he's under hunting. I'd go with hax' advice and try lay ward, but its mostly a problem with multi shot monster spells ATM. I thin this is being addressed in magic 3.1
Re: (no subject) 12/04/2013 08:10 PM CST
>I don't know if critter TM damage just isn't scaling right or if the "well, you'll always be hit at times" formula is taking critter TM under proper consideration, or if the lack of general elemental protections in armor being what they are finally shining through.

It seems like creatures haven't needed to AIM or TARGET ever since 3.0...I'm wondering if it's related to this, because it could be some simplification with an unintentionally severe side effect (e.g. "Automatically gave them instant full aim because it's otherwise too easy an AI mechanic to bypass, but it's accidentally applying full AIM bonus to TM now")

That and/or mana put into their spells may have converted poorly, which would have them casting as a far greater potency than they should. I don't know a lot about FS, but wouldn't 2-3 shards be around 30 mana? I don't think a ~100-rank creature has any business spamming that kind of firepower, no pun intended.
Re: (no subject) 12/05/2013 08:12 AM CST
>What is the point of these...was backtraining...shield 175, evasion 189 leather 121 using aether cloak and es.....(which seem useless)

if your Warding and other magic ranks arent 50 or so higher then your combats you are doing it wrong as a WM. Bumping AC up a point or 2 makes a huge difference.

Example: When Xito was invading before HE an 8 prep AC wouldn't do anything but a 10 prep AC was stopping all his spells.

I went from a 9 prep what I use to train to a 10 prep in gremlins in FC and all the GZ was deflected back with 1 more mana in the spell.

If that doesn't work L2WM better

[00:15] Chatter[Uzmam] Damian just wants to beat up dancers, what a bully
[00:15] Chatter[Morpion] Wait for them outside the club at 3 am?
[00:15] Chatter[Damian] i enjoy making them scream with pure terror