Stompers 05/01/2015 01:14 AM CDT
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the 500+ folder but I was curious about the logic behind Tusky inside the Stompers hunting ground? I can currently handle 4 stompers without ever encountering a problem whatsoever. If a tusky arrives, i'm certainly dead. I used to be able to handle them about a year ago, but when I came back last week, a Tusky tore me up faster than ever.

Just to clarify, these are my current skills and stats. I don't understand where the issue arises. When I hunt, it's late night and there isn't anyone around to handle the Tusky problem I have, so I'm kind of looking for either an alternative area that isn't south celps or in a place like shadow beasts that I can't use "hunt."

Shield Usage: 552 16% scrutinizing (17/34) Light Armor: 388 85% clear (0/34)
Chain Armor: 531 47% very focused (21/34) Brigandine: 304 76% intrigued (16/34)
Plate Armor: 314 38% scrutinizing (17/34) Defending: 553 23% studious (19/34)
Parry Ability: 532 99% pondering (7/34) Small Edged: 386 86% clear (0/34)
Large Edged: 502 68% clear (0/34) Twohanded Edged: 503 06% considering (6/34)
Bow: 384 26% perusing (2/34) Light Thrown: 315 71% clear (0/34)
Brawling: 381 92% clear (0/34) Melee Mastery: 546 63% attentive (10/34)
Missile Mastery: 396 38% learning (3/34) Expertise: 458 66% thinking (5/34)
Inner Fire: 373 03% engrossed (27/34) Augmentation: 337 58% riveted (28/34)
Evasion: 554 45% intrigued (16/34) Perception: 477 01% understanding (14/34)
Tactics: 377 43% focused (20/34)

Strength : 50 Reflex : 50 +
Agility : 50 Charisma : 40
Discipline : 50 Wisdom : 48
Intelligence : 50 Stamina : 50
Re: Stompers 05/01/2015 10:31 AM CDT
It's seemed to me that it's the "penalty" required in the area to justify good spawn rate. I have no idea. I'm afraid to ask anyone to touch anything in that area because it's the only hunting ground that's just so dang good. Admittedly, I ran away often when I hunted stompers. Now that I'm in splitters, I can handle them fine, I just have to specifically use a weapon that can kill them or we do an awkward dance all day (for me that's crossbows/bows). Your armor skills are better than mine but my evasion's a little better--can you handle a tusky if you have piranha going?

The other thing I'd recommend is trying maulers or splitters if a tusky shows up; you have good defenses, like I said, so worth a test, and if there are other people in the area, they might end up handling the tusky for you. If you're all alone in any of the three areas, you'll get every tusky that spawns. More people softens that quite a bit.
Re: Stompers 05/02/2015 03:49 PM CDT
>I'm kind of looking for either an alternative area that isn't south celps or in a place like shadow beasts that I can't use "hunt."

If hunt is your main issue with shadow beasts, then I recommend cinder beasts a little further in. They train as well or a bit better maybe than shadow beasts and you can use hunt. At 500+ skinning I only mess up a hide once in a while, and they drop many more boxes than shadowies.
Re: Stompers 05/06/2015 01:19 PM CDT

Don't the cinderbeast blow up, and harm you?
Re: Stompers 05/07/2015 02:40 AM CDT
No. They blow up, but it is just messaging. No harm to the player.
Re: Stompers 05/07/2015 03:04 AM CDT
please keep tuskies with maulers ....mainland hunting at this level is so small the bottle neck is making it very boring. I don't want to be forced to Celpies.

Deadly force, is the force which a person uses, causing—or that a person knows, or should know, would create a substantial risk of causing—death or serious bodily harm. Deadly Force is justified only under conditions of extreme necessity as a last resort,
Re: Stompers 05/07/2015 03:13 AM CDT
>Don't the cinderbeast blow up, and harm you?

Yes, but:

1) It can happen when they die but only rarely. By the time I lock all 15 weapon skills, I might have gotten hit by it once or twice.

2) The damage is minimal and nothing like real combat damage. Only scuffs. It's annoying more than anything else.
Re: Stompers 05/07/2015 01:12 PM CDT
3) Ethereal Shield will prevent any damage, one of the only uses fer that spell i can find

Rehlyn

A Maelshyvean shadow beast slows long enough to deeply inhale some of the swirling shadows surrounding it. After a moment, it sighs with great releif and blackness oozes from its ears and nostrils.
Re: Stompers 05/07/2015 01:15 PM CDT

Original poster and myself play Barbarians. I wonder if Toad would protect.

That was from fully healed, with one exploding.

Otherwise, they'd be a great choice. I have similar skills to the OP.

You have cuts and bruises about the head, cuts and bruises about the neck, cuts and bruises about the right arm, cuts and bruises about the left arm, deep cuts across the right leg, cuts and bruises about the left leg, cuts and bruises about the right hand, cuts and bruises about the left hand, deep cuts across the chest area, cuts and bruises about the abdomen, cuts and bruises about the back, a black and blue right eye, a black and blue left eye, a small skin rash.

Bleeding
Area Rate

right leg slight
chest light
Re: Stompers 05/07/2015 02:42 PM CDT
That's shocking to me. Here's what I look like after a couple explosions:

You have faint scuffing to the head, faint scuffing to the neck, faint scuffing to the right arm, faint scuffing to the left arm, faint scuffing to the right leg, faint scuffing to the left leg, faint scuffing to the right hand, faint scuffing to the left hand, faint scuffing to the chest, faint scuffing to the abdomen, faint scuffing to the back, faint scuffing to the right eye, faint scuffing to the left eye, faint scuffing to the skin.
You are in good shape.

Is it possible stamina could be the difference? Mine is 65.
Re: Stompers 05/07/2015 04:01 PM CDT

Yeah, I am only 81st Circle, no where close to that stamina.

I don't know how high they teach.

Shield is 506
Evasion is 540
Parry is 488

and it seemed to move kinda slow. Locked them up for sure, but the OP had higher defenses than that.

I'd suggest Black Apes to the OP. They seemed to to teach better, and were about the same as Stompers/Cinderbeast.