Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/25/2015 01:45 PM CDT
My character was back training locksmithing, so I was hunting Shalswars and Dragon Priests. My character has 1150 parry, and 1000 evasion and shield, as well as 100 in all stats. So I out class them by a good amount.

However, I routinely get hit by their special abilities, which is kind of annoying. I get set on fire, or have the knife thing hit me and cause a bleeder often enough to be frustrating.

However, today, one of the special abilities one hit killed me. I thought one hit deaths were supposed to be a thing of the past, but to happen on something with less than half of my combat ranks is extremely frustrating.

I went from nimbly balanced, and full health, to dead in one hit.

>> The Dragon Priest zealot riding the an armored shalswar snatches the triangular dagger attached to a fine steel chain dangling at its hip and begins spinning the blade wildly through the air. With a smooth snap of its wrist, the an armored shalswar sends the dagger flying towards you in a blur of deadly steel!
Moving a moment too late, the triangular blade lands a heavy (8/23) strike that rips into your abdomen! With a savage pull, the Dragon Priest zealot yanks upward on the chain connected to the dagger, tearing the blade from your flesh with a shower of bone and blood!

The armored shalswar rears back and releases a ear-splitting screech of triumph, seemingly proclaiming its victory to the World Dragon itself before savagely tearing into your abdomen with keen precision. Erupting like a volcano of flesh in a shower of blood, bile, and internal organs, the an armored shalswar gorges itself upon the treasures hidden within your body cavity.

Moments later the an armored shalswar slowly raises its blood-soaked head from your corpse with a pleased trill, viscous arterial blood escaping between the gaps in its razor-sharp fangs.
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/25/2015 02:18 PM CDT
Wow, a heavy strike on a 100 stamina person who outclasses the creature by 2x or more resulting in death is a little bit sketchy indeed. I'm going to assume that by "Full health" you also meant "no wounds"?

The only way I could think of this happening otherwise than a bug would be if you were previously wounded in the abdomen area. Not that I think you were as I've heard about some strange behavior with these things special attacks. Also, screw hunting them if this can happen!

Prydaen prayer for the hunt:
http://pastebin.com/fRrP52H7
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/25/2015 02:35 PM CDT
>> I'm going to assume that by "Full health" you also meant "no wounds"?

I had minor abrasions on my left arm.
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/25/2015 03:58 PM CDT
I also outclass them--though not by nearly as much--and backtrained weapons/skinning there for some time. I would regularly have to interrupt that backtraining to fix sudden gaping wounds on my chest/wherever from that exact special attack. I always suspected that it was coded for insta-death still.

It's worth noting that the zealots that live in an area by themselves--the Black Spire, Chamber of Blood--have different special attacks. I.e., I think those ones were changed to not give one-hit kills, but not the ones that spawn with shalswar. The Chamber of Blood zealots trip you and do a similar triangular blade/deadly steel attack, but it never tore my chest open, and I hunted them at-level for months long before.

Also, getting lit on fire (thrashes your armor, if not you) or slept with their non-poison poison (can't be flushed because it's not real, rrr)... very frustrating area. I also felt really bad hunting there once when someone running by (because it's a main path to Hib) got lit on fire from one that had just spawned in my room. I have posted about this subject before, because it all feels wrong.

I recommend warklins for training around that level unless you need to make shalswar gear. But hopefully someone could look into their special attacks, especially the zealots that create massive wounds.
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 01:26 AM CDT
Not only does that seem a bit strange, there is a bad typo in it as well.

Moments later "the an" armored shalswar slowly raises its blood-soaked head...
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 09:59 AM CDT
When I was backtraining low weapons there I'd get hit routinely with that attack as well, but I never once had an insta death. I would get a bleeder maybe, but I brought several weapons up through there and was there for a good month or so solid. It's very inconsistent. Also very annoying. Special attacks on the whole in DR are horrible. It's like they are tolerable (ala mountain giants boulders) or they are horribly overpowered as seen here, and in malchata and in most any other "higher" creature. It sucks and funnels everyone to hunt only a few things.

I left zealots and went to warklins. Mountain giants are right there and with the way locks works now you could probably still learn from them if zealots are teaching. That would be my recommendation. You already aren't learning anything else. And Giants can get fairly busy. You just have to deal with the stupid ice road.

Monster Elec
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 12:56 PM CDT
>>You just have to deal with the stupid ice road.

Ice skates.
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 04:45 PM CDT
Oh I'm aware... But it would be pretty out of character for a char like Elec to wear ice skates. I feel it's ridiculous to expect characters to do silly things to accomplish tasks or train. Ice skates for one, collecting rocks for another.

If there were crampons or even snowshoes IG, sign me up. But I'm not letting him wear ice skates. Lol

Monster Elec
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 04:48 PM CDT
I could see crampons but I expect that would involve RT between rooms.

Ice skates were traditionally used for travel and hunting so I don't know what the big deal is there.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 05:39 PM CDT
>Ice skates were traditionally used for travel and hunting so I don't know what the big deal is there.

Probably has something to do with ice skates overwhelming looking like something you'd expect to see on an animated christmas tv special or at Disney on Ice rather than utilitarian tough guy ice skates made for work.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 07:59 PM CDT
Is there no way you could make it feel more in-character? It's not frilly footwear, it's incredibly useful gear. Worn for just a moment in order to bypass a trudging, dangerous place. Flexibility, adaptability--more admirable than being overly worried about a sense of dignity. Also they have blades. Sounds awesome to me. ;)

> ice skates overwhelming looking like something you'd expect to see on an animated christmas tv special or at Disney on Ice rather than utilitarian tough guy ice skates made for work

Yes, mostly, but there are neutral ones.

some natural suede ice skates with brown laces for 2.5 gold Kronars
some grey ice skates with black laces for 2.5 gold Kronars
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 09:27 PM CDT
Elec would wear them if he could slit throats with a kick to the neck. But apart from that, nope. It's just something "fun" that children and silly people with time to waste in the winter do and he's very much all business (when he's not being a snarky jerk on gweth). He's very fashion conscious. Give them skulls and blood and maybe.

But not to get off topic. The level of creature we speak about here is really where special attacks start to get out of hand. Previous to this you have bristles and their charging attack which seems on par... Are there any others around this level that seem on par? Any others that people have tried and avoided? This last time through the critter ladder I know I didn't bother with adult gryphons because they spent more time flying around trying to knock me down than on the ground fighting. I remember coming back to DR and finding TC thugs were beast mode with ranged but I don't know what they are supposed to be rated at. I went there for powders like two years ago or something and remembered them still getting lucky hits now and then through that process. Zealots... we talked about. Mountain giants throw a lot of boulders, but they don't particularly seem to hit crazy like. Sailfin lizards seem pretty normal, as do the premie treehopper toads in leth (aside from the poison and weird spawning). Anyone have anything else?

Monster Elec
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 09:41 PM CDT
>>t's just something "fun" that children and silly people with time to waste in the winter do and he's very much all business

all the more reason why it would be amusing to see it as an explicit mode of transport vs a fun hobby.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 10:42 PM CDT
>> Anyone have anything else?

Adult Wyverns with their dropping from heights attack does way more damage to me than any of their melee attacks.
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 11:19 PM CDT
As well, what instance of DR is this on? Because I just went through them on Prime and had no issues. I have heard of reports of TF having issues with special attacks.
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/26/2015 11:53 PM CDT
I was in Prime when I was in zealots and was experiencing their wonky attacks. I never got one hit, I hunted the spire area. But I certainly got several hits much harder than they should have been. But never one hit. I did get attacked in succession once and it killed me. I caught two or three special attacks in a row. I don't know if it was just luck of the draw or what. But I did die that once.

Monster Elec
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/27/2015 10:55 AM CDT
>> As well, what instance of DR is this on? Because I just went through them on Prime and had no issues. I have heard of reports of TF having issues with special attacks.

I play in TF.
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/27/2015 11:39 AM CDT

>> I play in TF.

Makes sense. I think I remember Raesh doing a pass on all those guys. I wouldn't be surprised if it had to be done manually and didn't make it to TF.
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/27/2015 01:25 PM CDT
Hmm. That doesn't seem like something that should be instance specific.

-Raesh

"The trouble with atheism, is that it offers a limited range of curses.” - Two Serpents Rise
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/27/2015 01:26 PM CDT
Tim, I had the same problem with Rishlu while backtraining. They are essentially unhuntable in TF right now.
Re: Dragon Priest Zealots special attacks 07/27/2015 01:39 PM CDT

Here's my thread about the issue

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/Creatures%20of%20Elanthia/Complaints%20-%20Creatures/view/748