Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/08/2013 11:36 AM CDT
Not sure if i'm posting this in the correct level range tier, basilisks seem a bit lower level, but seemed like it'd be a good start.

So, non-ranger, wondering first off, how much skinning i would be needing to start getting at least decent quality, not necessarily perfect fangs from the basilisks? This looks like a really decent hunting area due to shadow beasts and cinder beasts being bipedal, skinnable AND box droppers...but i know special attacks have become kinda brutal with 3.0. Wondering if anyone has any good info about this area like what kinds of defenses would be necessary to hunt safely, box drop rates, spawn habits? Its been a long time since i looked at this area...i seem to remember a hand coming out of the swamp and dragging you under or something as well?
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/08/2013 11:46 AM CDT
I was (in 2.0), having issues hunting these with much higher ranks, closer to 550s. I don't know how feasible it would be with fewer ranks. I wasn't able to fully arrange them and get a high quality skin (this was without HOL).

Not sure how much 3.0 has changed things, but they might be a ways off for you, if you are in this skill range (380-440).

GENT
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/08/2013 12:08 PM CDT
Yeah, that definitely seems a bit higher on the totem pole than i was expecting, and if anything, i would assume 3.0 made them harder

That being said, is it a decent hunting area or is it more of a pain than its worth?
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/08/2013 03:27 PM CDT
I found the process of getting in and out to be prohibitive. I know there is a shortcut into the area for Clerics -- not sure if they can lead others through the shortcut, though.

You can hunt maulers in Stone Clan from about 450-600 ranks easy. You can move on to a number of places after that. That's what I've done with all my characters.

GENT
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/08/2013 06:08 PM CDT
Clerics have a shortcut down there too? I know they can prevent the curse that you get when going down there.. I'd be curious about any shortcuts for next time I take a cleric down there on their quest.

Getting down to Basilisks and Shadow Beasts isn't bad, especially by yourself. Trying to take a group there with you can complicate things.
True, it isn't as simple as just walking in like a lot of hunting grounds, but the critters there are awesome for training when at that skill level. Well worth the maze to get in.
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/09/2013 11:00 AM CDT
I'm fine having to jump through a few more hoops to get into a hunting area. I was mainly curious about the overall training of these critters and box drop rates. E-pedia is good for general snap shots of critters, but they begin to fail when we get into critter behavior and specifics. I'm curious about this curse you speak of now though. Is it pretty debilitating?
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/09/2013 11:46 AM CDT
I'm not sure about any curse, but in order to get down there safely, you'll need PFE -- the hands in the swap area'll getcha otherwise. I haven't encountered any other problems in the handful of times I went down there as a Ranger.

As for the hunting. I think the area is pretty sweet overall. They drop boxes, they are swarmy, you can skin some of them. It's a great area. Unfortunately, the troubles getting in are, for many, not worth the reward.

GENT
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/09/2013 03:56 PM CDT
You really don't need PFE or any special tricks to get in. Keep moving, pray at the shrine on the way in and you'll be fine. I use the genie automapper and other than the maze (which you have to do by hand) that isn't that bad it zips me right in safely every time.
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/09/2013 05:04 PM CDT
I've been thinking about giving these a try. How's the Cinder Beast explosion these days? Is it something Toad Form as a Barbarian would have any luck at helping against?
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/09/2013 05:06 PM CDT
I can confirm as of a few days ago there is no need for PFE and you can get in without getting cursed.

Basilisks do seem easier in 3.0.
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/09/2013 05:57 PM CDT
As far as clerics go, not sure about non-clerics. My cleric started there with about 330 defensives, in shadow beasts. With SOL, PFE, MAPP, MPP, and Benediction all in his orb, and using HYH casted on male <no offense nor defense>. He doesn't get hurt at all. At about 350 defensives, same buffs, in cinder beasts he gets some wounds here and there. Needs healing about every two-three hours. Hope this can help.
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/09/2013 10:29 PM CDT
Lots of really good info. Kinda excited to get in here. I think i still have a few months to go, but it gives me something to work towards. Stoked that genie's automapper will help out with getting into the area as well. <3 genie.
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/09/2013 11:53 PM CDT
Hmm. I must have bad luck! Every time I've tried to get in there without PFE I've been nabbed by a hand and killed. I'll have to give it another go-round.

GENT
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/12/2013 03:50 PM CDT
Anyone happen to have any experiences with the Cinder Beast explosions? Just trying to get a feel for how bad it is before making the trip up there with my Barbarian.
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/12/2013 10:04 PM CDT

>Anyone happen to have any experiences with the Cinder Beast explosions? Just trying to get a feel for how bad it is before making the trip up there with my Barbarian.

Had been hunting basilisks and shadow beasts, and enjoyed both creatures. The maze isn't a big deal because you either head east-ish for the tree or west-ish for the path. Doesn't take me long at all to get out. Hopped over to cinder beasts hoping it would be a nice step and I think it was my 3rd or 4th kill got exploded on and basically had to stop hunting. Unless you have an empath with you that loves some empathy I'd think its not worth it. I turned around and left pretty quick.

Jalika
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/12/2013 11:06 PM CDT
Yeowch, sounds pretty rough. Elanthipedia doesn't specify except to say that there are 'parts' where Basilisk's and Shadow Beasts share rooms. Are there rooms or area's with just Shadow Beasts? They're about what I'm looking for, the Basilisks look like they might be a bit too low in skill level.
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/12/2013 11:52 PM CDT
Basilisks are south rooms, Shadow beasts are north rooms. Farthest north rooms you won't see any basilisks.
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/19/2013 11:44 PM CDT
So what's a good undead/evil critter after basilisks to hunt?
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/20/2013 10:28 AM CDT
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Bestiary_Level_List
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/22/2013 01:20 AM CDT
>>http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Bestiary_Level_List

/effort

Germish'din are pretty good. They're skinnable, their chests reward great, and are fairly easy to find locksmiths for if you can't open them yourself. (They're a notch above Geni, so plenty of box poppers seek them out.) They hit a little hard for their range though, so if your defenses are below average, they could be a little dangerous. On the flipside, they have poor perception so training stealth is easy, should you use it.

Absolutely do not try Wir Dinego.
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/22/2013 10:23 PM CDT
Thanks Stilva. What's the effort getting into the hunting ground like, say, compared to getting in and out of the Basilisk area?
Re: Basilisks, Shadow Beasts and Cinder Beasts...oh my? 04/23/2013 02:09 AM CDT
>What's the effort getting into the hunting ground like, say, compared to getting in and out of the Basilisk area?

Easy - just a simple climb down the sinkhole into the catacombs. Entrance and exit to the hunting grounds are the same room. When you die your body is deposited outside the hunting area on http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/RanikMap63. There is no maze or puzzle. The only downside is you'll generally have to use the autopath in Leth or moongate/swim/ferry back to Crossing or take a gondola ride to Shard for empathic aid.