Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 02:53 PM CDT
Hey folks, right now i'm sitting comfortably in Mer'Kresh south barricade celps.

I love everything about them except for the fact that I can't train comp bow worth crap. I've read a bit on here and seem to come up with the idea that the Seordmaors are similar to the celps skill wise. The only problem I have with them is that they can cast LB, which I HATE with a passion.

I've got 525 shield, 520 evasion, and my weapon range from 400-436 (I know weird for a barb but I did a lot of backtraining and I love the setup). Should I be worried about this spell? It seems that every time ANYTHING casts that stupid spell on my I die immediately, even if I'm berserking.

Anyone have any other ideas for fighting things at my level?
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 03:11 PM CDT
>525 Shield

I dunno how nasty Seordmaors are, but I do know that lightning bolt bypasses your shield ranks completely, so you're going just off of evasion.

- Starlear -
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 03:22 PM CDT
>>I've got 525 shield, 520 evasion, and my weapon range from 400-436 (I know weird for a barb but I did a lot of backtraining and I love the setup). Should I be worried about this spell? It seems that every time ANYTHING casts that stupid spell on my I die immediately, even if I'm berserking.

For purposes of magic resistance, the berserks you'd want to use for hunting (Blood, Stone, Nightmare, Cyclone) are not the ones that give you the magic resistance (Steel, Grave) you desire.

Are you only going to be using seords for comp bow or are you considering switching? If you only want to go in, lock comp bow, and then leave, consider using Dragon Dance. The magic resistance bonus is stupid good (like 200-300%), even at those ranks. I would be surprised if you had trouble with critter-casted LB when dancing Dragon.
Malkien
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 03:35 PM CDT
No, I'd be switching to them full time. I assume I'll be able to dance cobra or bear in them. Probably cobra for the agility boost to help evasion... I'm not sure, but i suppose i'll be trying it out here shortly.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 04:25 PM CDT
>.No, I'd be switching to them full time. I assume I'll be able to dance cobra or bear in them. Probably cobra for the agility boost to help evasion... I'm not sure, but i suppose i'll be trying it out here shortly.

Badger would be your best bet, as it directly bonuses evasion. Swan also does, but at that level of skill, Badger should easily be better.
Malkien
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 04:34 PM CDT
I used Seordmaor's instead of celps, and they worked great for me. They never hit me once with LB. So I'd recommend giving them a try (shame about the long trip from Kresh just to test, though). In general, I've found critter magic in DR to be pretty weak sauce, but it sounds like your experience differs.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 04:54 PM CDT
So interesting....Seordmaor's don't hit...

A scaly seordmaor jerks and jumps about it as tendrils of electricity dart down its fur! Its eyes flicker with bluish light as it glances at you!
A bolt of bluish lightning blazes out of the sky toward you!
You narrowly manage to dodge the bolt!

Then again, I'm not liking how little they seem to be. Elanthipedia had them similar to Celps, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. They seem to be much easier, and don't teach as good. What would be the logical step up from them?
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 06:02 PM CDT
Agility doesn't boost evasion, reflex does which would be panther.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 07:39 PM CDT
>>and don't teach as good.

Magic creatures never teach as good, it's unfortunate but true.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Codiax#Codiax-Forged-Weapons
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 07:45 PM CDT
Well, after making my rounds through Elanthia today and testing celps, seordmaors, sky giants, and storm bulls, I concluded that celps are best for me for awhile. Sky giants were great defense wise, but I couldn't hit them, so I tried storm bulls, which according to elanthipedia are easier than sky giants. I could hit them, but they beat the crap out of me...

Anyway, thanks for all the advice folks. stupid celps.... guess I'll have to power through them.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/01/2011 08:39 PM CDT
unfortunately once you hit celps you will find that kresh then mriss become end game. if you are on ratha then you will eventually move to kresh and then hit end game.

need 100th-150th creatures on mainland.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/02/2011 05:18 AM CDT

Have you given the zombies in Boar Clan a shot yet? I still currently hunt there with combats in about the same ranges as you and I'm on the weakest of the three variants there. They swarm decently well with a few hunters in the area and can be worked up to the 750's and up if I remember correctly. With a few reflex/agility boosters I'm sure you'll be able to hit the stompers easily with your lower weapons from the sounds of it too. Just a thought.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/02/2011 08:37 AM CDT
as this is the 380-440 folder, think i'd be able to dodge seord lightning bolts with 450 evasion?

I was able to dodge spells from dragon priests <the robed ones in the pecc/dp premie area>. However, it took all my resources to actually kill one. So I'm still better defensive-wise than offensive-wise. On the other hand, seodemaors don't carry anything do they? and DPs seem to parry very well with that bone staff they carry. <I'm basically looking for an alternative to fighting DPs, as my character feels uncomfortable RP-wise in fighting them.>

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/02/2011 02:33 PM CDT
Some people seem to have sworn by seordmaors, but when I went over to try them, I was disappointed.

with 500ish evasion and 50 reflex i was having no issues dodging them. I was on the other hand, having huge issues trying to learn anything...

All in all, i'd say it depends on your reflex/MO/burden/etc.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/02/2011 03:09 PM CDT
>>I was on the other hand, having huge issues trying to learn anything...

For whatever reason new critters teach better, swarm better etc. Like how alot of people use those new 3 levels of deer to train now (I never used them, just going by what I have read) because apparently they are really good trainers. Basically a precedent is being set with these fast spawning, great teaching critters. They set the bar high and some of the older critters don't compare anymore, or if they do they likely were updated at some point.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/03/2011 06:57 AM CDT
Boar clan Zombies are pretty fantastic. They don't swarm as much as celps when there's several people hunting celps, but you get a steadier stream when no one is hunting with you. Give Stompers a try.

Watch out for the enraged tuskies.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/03/2011 04:53 PM CDT
I'll throw another vote for stompers. With around the same combats as your's they train great. Hope you have a good ranged attack for tuskies though, they're viscous but easy enough to kill if you stay away from them.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/05/2011 02:28 AM CDT
>I'll throw another vote for stompers.

I'd go try them, but the only thing is this:

Lockpicking: 95 21.98% clear (0/34)
Disarm Traps: 98 52.05% clear (0/34)

Skin: 489 71% nearly locked (33/34) +0.44

So......they're not really favorable for the few people I owe a total of 4000 plat to... :P

About what kind of defenses would I need for black apes and goblins and such?
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/05/2011 05:28 AM CDT
I could be wrong but I think those are more in the 600-700 range.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/05/2011 07:49 AM CDT
well, i got up the nerve and decided to give seordmaors a try. I was pretty much ok dodging them, <the lightning bolt magical didn't hit me at all, but their mundanes sometimes did> but I encountered a similar situation as DP, was hard to hit them. <not quite as hard as DPs though>. Will definately have to try them again after i cap young gryphs. Skinned an eyeball, 967 lirum, not bad for one with only 61 parts.

Explore the Final Frontier - the unknown calls
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/05/2011 08:05 AM CDT

Eh, I'd think with 500+ defenses plus buffs you should be ok in black apes. Might have trouble hitting them with a melee weapon at 400ish ranks as they parry. They'll also be throwing stuff at you while you're training bow, but the skinning will be nice.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/05/2011 08:25 AM CDT
I would think black gobs and boars would be great for you. Skinning is great there.

Codiax.
Forged Weapons:
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/05/2011 04:22 PM CDT
>I would think black gobs and boars would be great for you. Skinning is great there.

Well, I'll be on the mainland for a few days, I'll head over there and see what all the fuss is about.

It should be noted that I have a decent amount of reflex for my circle (50), so it's not like I'll be going in blind. I'm not overly hot about them throwing stuff at me, but it's worth a shot!

Thanks everybody who commented/gave advice/read my ramblings.

-Healf
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/05/2011 04:24 PM CDT
Sorry for the double post, but I was just reading up about Black Apes on Elanthipedia and saw about the escaping.

I consider my escaping to SUCK, so about how many ranks would I need to get safely in and out?

Escaping: 46 37.33% clear (0/34)
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/06/2011 06:51 AM CST
You only have to concern yourself with mud in the NE sector. Stay near the entrance and you'll be okay.
Re: Scaly Seordmaor 11/06/2011 07:45 PM CST
>You only have to concern yourself with mud in the NE sector. Stay near the entrance and you'll be okay.

Thanks, I'm currently and have been, stuck on the Tasia'zaul, trying to get from Hara'jaal to Ratha to attempt to find passage back to the mainland. If anybody has/knows/is a moonie that they could help me out with, AIM me at HealfdeneDR... I'll pay you!