After Gryphons 08/26/2010 03:16 AM CDT
I'm not quite done with gryphons yet, but since I don't want to deal with the flying versions, I'm wondering where I'll go next. I'd like something I can train skinning and parry on. If it's indoors, that would be even better.

My current skills are below, but I could keep milking gryphons for a bit if those aren't good enough. I also have some decent buffs, so if something's just on the edge, I can probably take it.

Current abilities:
Str: 44
Ref: 61
Agi: 51
Dis: 52
Sta: 39
Brawling: 350
LT: 300
Hiding: 290
TM: 280
Multi: 395
Evasion: 375
Leather: 365
Shield: 370
Parry: 300
Re: After Gryphons 08/26/2010 08:07 AM CDT
Your defenses should be ok for a step up, but your weapons/TM are a bit low for the next few critters. Dobeks on Ratha should still teach you and should get you to Ratha celps as well.
Re: After Gryphons 08/26/2010 12:02 PM CDT
If you're around Therengia and wish you stay in the area you might give basilisks a try. One of my characters had slightly more defenses when starting in that area, but much less reflex so you should be fine. The only thing I don't like about the area is the lack of ability to learn perception via HUNT verb. If it matters basilisks are considered undead, but blesses aren't required for killing them.

Hope this helps!

You laugh when you think of how funny you looked in a mirror the last time.
Re: After Gryphons 08/26/2010 12:31 PM CDT
Are Ratha celps the same ones as Mer'kresh south barricade celps?

Player of Drevid and Jhaval

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: After Gryphons 08/26/2010 12:53 PM CDT
yeah they are.
Re: After Gryphons 08/26/2010 02:17 PM CDT
>Are Ratha celps the same ones as Mer'kresh south barricade celps?

They are almost identical. Ratha celps appraise as having less offense, and probably don't teach defenses as high as south barricade celps. When you consider the lower spawn rate as well, I'd say Ratha celps are probably noticeably easier for someone at the absolute edge of their abilities.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: After Gryphons 08/26/2010 04:01 PM CDT
You are no where near being done with gryphons. I was able to stay in young gryphons to 425-450 in pretty much everything.

Necromancy brings out the Stupid in us all. -Armifer
Re: After Gryphons 08/26/2010 08:24 PM CDT
Yeah, I agree that you are no where near done with gryphons. I'm close to you in lots of ways. The fledging/young gryphon area should be teaching you quite well. You can even drop to the baby/fledging area to backtrain some weapons.
Re: After Gryphons 08/26/2010 09:05 PM CDT
With the exception of Multi, fledgling/young teaches me very well, yes. Unfortunately, with only 4 rooms, it's often quite crowded in there. I was hoping I could move on to something else, preferably with more space.
Re: After Gryphons 08/26/2010 09:23 PM CDT
You could also try caracals. They should still move your defenses and they'll teach weapons very well.
Re: After Gryphons 08/26/2010 10:02 PM CDT
Young gryphons are pretty empty down in Shard most of the time. I have spent the past couple of weeks in shard and never had trouble finding a room. I have since moved on to a different area though as of a day or two ago.

Wanderer Larze
Guardian Rhamist

Your mind hears Aethyrr thinking, "fyrel I can't lick my hips"
Re: After Gryphons 08/27/2010 02:58 AM CDT
Dobeks for the lower skills and Celps for the higher seems to be working well. I realize I could have stuck with gryphons, but this is making me happier.
Re: After Gryphons 09/16/2010 11:58 AM CDT
Rezzing this thread a little bit just to add a bit of info for people who skim the folders when they need to find something new.

I found Germish to be the perfect bridge between youngs and Celpeze.

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.
Re: After Gryphons 09/16/2010 05:20 PM CDT
Did you find they work well for dancing? I heard they have the ability to rip shields off your arm and mess. I've been using a mix of Basilisks and shadow beasts for this myself
Re: After Gryphons 09/16/2010 06:01 PM CDT
>>I heard they have the ability to rip shields off your arm and mess.

They no longer do things like that. They're very good for dancing with, yes.

Ogdaro