Mountain Giants 07/14/2010 10:50 PM CDT
Just moved down and tried these, thinking of hanging around here. Really enjoying them so far, but was wondering if it's normal that this happens before I use HT:

Alaxndr shouts, "Catch!"

Happened both with my spear and my throwing hammer. Or is there something new with HT that I didn't hear about?

-Shadow Bane Alaxndr Durnovaria, Advocate of Therengia

"A knight is sworn to valor
His heart knows only virtue
His blade defends the helpless
His words speak only truth
His wrath undoes the wicked."
Can Mountain Giants open roll ? 10/21/2010 09:55 PM CDT
You get a watered-steel katar with a chain-wrapped hilt from inside your kidskin baldric.
> put kat in my ruck

You put your katar in your hiker's rucksack.
>
* Moving like a striking snake, a mountain giant pounds at you. You block with a crocodile-skin buckler.
[You're bruised, nimbly balanced and opponent has slight advantage.]
>
* Moving in with powerful grace, a mountain giant pounds at you. You block with a crocodile-skin buckler.
[You're bruised, nimbly balanced and have slight advantage.]
> get boul
throw
As you reach for a large boulder, it cracks and rots away.

>
What are you trying to throw?
>
The mountain giant lumbers in from the down.

>
* Moving with powerful grace, a mountain giant pounds at you. You barely block with a crocodile-skin buckler. The fist lands an extremely heavy hit that explodes the chest in a shower of blood and splintered ribs.
The mountain giant beams a happy smile and exclaims, "Lunch!" she reaches down and pull a chunk out of you!
Your death cry echoes in your brain as it quickly dawns on you that you have just died! Already, you feel the tug of eternity upon your soul and you struggle to remain tied to this world.

A chill takes the seat of your soul as your remaining spiritual strength bleeds away steadily. However, you are comforted that you have curried the favor of your god, which will greatly improve the course of your resurrection or reincarnation.

Your body will decay beyond its ability to hold your soul in 52 minutes.
[You're very badly balanced]
Re: Can Mountain Giants open roll ? 10/21/2010 10:02 PM CDT
I can think of a few explanations off the top of my head...

1. High attack roll on the part of the troll, low defence roll on the part of you.
2. Equipment in bad repair.
3. Last maneuver was lunge or something equally defence penalizing.

Its hard to know without more data, but I am reasonably certain they've finally scoured out all the open rolls in the system.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Can Mountain Giants open roll ? 10/21/2010 10:06 PM CDT
Interesting.

>>The mountain giant beams a happy smile and exclaims, "Lunch!" she reaches down and pull a chunk out of you!

I think there should be an 's' at the end of pull in that sentence.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Can Mountain Giants open roll ? 10/21/2010 10:23 PM CDT
Let me post my skills, but all my equipment was pristine and I didnt lunge or use a evasion penalty manuever.

425 shield
405 evasion
415 multi
46 reflex
Re: Can Mountain Giants open roll ? 10/22/2010 12:33 AM CDT
How were you stanced? If you were using parry it was probably because you put your katar in your rucksack.

~Sulakhan

"Under the sword lifted high, there is hell making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of bliss."

~Miyamoto Musashi
Re: Can Mountain Giants open roll ? 10/22/2010 03:56 AM CDT
You're simply not at the point where you can totally dominate mountain giants. They are in your skill range and can kill you. No open roll needed.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Can Mountain Giants open roll ? 10/22/2010 08:58 AM CDT
Yeah its just the luck of the draw when you get a horrible roll and the giant gets an awesome roll which causes it to look like an open roll. That same thing happened to me in giants actually but it took awhile of dancing to have it happen.

Wanderer Larze
Guardian Rhamist

Re: Can Mountain Giants open roll ? 10/22/2010 01:48 PM CDT
Also, you were bruised prior to that hit, did you have damage to your chest already?

I can have 100% health but gaping wounds to the chest (tended) and something can land a light hit to my chest and it explodes.

Vote DR as TOP MUD: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-cemm.html