Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/06/2015 08:36 PM CDT
I am thinking of hunting Snow Goblins, but before I make the long trip to Aesry, I'd like to know what, if any, athletic checks there are for reaching them / what skill level is needed.

Thank you.

__
"Technically correct" is the worst kind of correct.
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/06/2015 08:55 PM CDT
Depending on tier, I don't remember there being an outrageous athletics check. The stairs are game-killing though. I hate that place. I'd strongly suggest finding another alternative. Brocket deer are good, or serpents in Fang cove. Vines and Creepers, if you can handle the marauders.

Really, anything/where but there, for me.
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/06/2015 09:28 PM CDT
"The stairs are game-killing though"

What do you mean by this?

__
"Technically correct" is the worst kind of correct.
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/06/2015 09:31 PM CDT
>>What do you mean by this?

If you have not experienced the stairs on Aesry, then you must go and do so. Trust me, it's one of those DR experiences.
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/06/2015 09:41 PM CDT

They are 1000x better than they used to be.
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/06/2015 09:52 PM CDT
>> "The stairs are game-killing though"

>> What do you mean by this?

It's not a skill check, so don't worry. Just a whole lot of stairs that take like 15+ seconds each to climb.

My advice is that you just go to Aesry and see for yourself. Worst case scenario is that you spend a few days on a boat scripting stationary-friendly skills and visit a neat town. Bring some coin and shop around a bit. It's a cool place.

I

"[A]ll PC necromancers are now redeemed good guys..." ~ GM Raesh
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/07/2015 03:18 AM CDT
> Just a whole lot of stairs that take like 15+ seconds each to climb.

Athletics skill speeds up the stairs. They're a lot better than they used to be.
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/07/2015 03:22 AM CDT
Aesry is pretty and there's good hunting. A lot of work was put into that island and it shows in lots of little ways but the stair RT takes a little getting used to. They're alot faster than they used to be but they still do a number on your fatigue. You have Zephyr so that's not so much an issue. Make sure you find Aesry travel scripts if you aren't using the genie front end. (to navigate all the stairs, switchback trails and elevation changes)

You can probably get rifts or gates or passage on a private ship back and forth from the mainland reasonably easy but treat it like getting marooned. Stock up on favors and healing remedies if you aren't making the trip with a cleric and empath.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/07/2015 03:25 AM CDT
<<Athletics skill speeds up the stairs. They're a lot better than they used to be.

The stairs outside the town, yes. The stairs inside town, however, are fatigue draining beasts that piss me off every single time I visit there.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/07/2015 11:16 AM CDT
>My advice is that you just go to Aesry and see for yourself. Worst case scenario is that you spend a few days on a boat scripting stationary-friendly skills and visit a neat town.

Boats are much, much better these days and a relatively short trip... provided there is a boat to get on. It's likely you'll spend a few days on a dock waiting for a boat to match up with your schedule.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/10/2015 10:07 AM CDT
<<My advice is that you just go to Aesry and see for yourself. Worst case scenario is that you spend a few days on a boat scripting stationary-friendly skills and visit a neat town.>>

Doesn't the balloon that leaves from Lagenfirth go to all the major islands? Thought that was the announcement anyway, but I could be wrong. Aesry's a nice place it'll help your climbing or did at one time.

Blufalcon
Re: Athletic Checks and Snow Goblins 05/10/2015 02:50 PM CDT
>>Doesn't the balloon that leaves from Lagenfirth go to all the major islands?

No, it just goes between Lang and M'Riss.